Bitcoin-based online gambling

• Start date
  • Replies 1,946 Comments
  • Views 134,500 Views
Boner gets it.

xpy, I'm sure you realize that Bitcoin is not a currency yet. It doesn't yet exist without traditional banking. You can't pay your mortgage or your taxes with it, which makes it totally reliant on the ol' fiat money platform.

As it stands, once bankers have had enough, they can kill Bitcoin overnight. (As a side note, I'm not convinced that repealing net neutrality doesn't have something to do with wanting to control and/or kill Bitcoin.)

There's this article saying that the creator of Bitcoin might become the first trillionaire. It's a ridiculous idea because the overwhelming majority of his e-fortune is stuck being just that, numbers in a ledger.

Boner gets it.

really? So something worth 89k is actually not worth 89k? say, that is deep:fatcat:

Matty, you're just mad cause you should've been a billionaire. Wtf you do with your coin anyway?

I redeemed it. Its a mostly-worthless piece of memorabilia now.

I woulda sold early no matter what. I guarantee you that no one is still sitting on coins they bought in 2011. If they do, they either lost their wallet or theyre dead.

Love that at the end of the day all people care about is the USD, AUS, CAD. BTC is just like any other speculative investment. Buy puts and calls, bet on sports. Same thing.

What is the true value of a BTC? If you got a job offer and they said, we'll pay you $89,325 or 5BTC which would you take? Obviously the $... but where would you flip... $75k, $60k, $40k?
I actually get paid in bitcoin. Why would I want to work for lazy banker controlled Fiat when I can work for a currency that works for me?

I'm not saying bitcoin will take over but can see it working in conjunction with traditional existing currencies as a store of monetary value...

Only difference is that it's worth what the people say it's worth and not what the banks deem it as being worth. That's the beautiful thing about this as it's owned and controlled by its community and not some company that dictates its worth to us...

Last edited:
Boner gets it.

xpy, I'm sure you realize that Bitcoin is not a currency yet. It doesn't yet exist without traditional banking. You can't pay your mortgage or your taxes with it, which makes it totally reliant on the ol' fiat money platform.

As it stands, once bankers have had enough, they can kill Bitcoin overnight. (As a side note, I'm not convinced that repealing net neutrality doesn't have something to do with wanting to control and/or kill Bitcoin.)

There's this article saying that the creator of Bitcoin might become the first trillionaire. It's a ridiculous idea because the overwhelming majority of his e-fortune is stuck being just that, numbers in a ledger.
SO how do you propose the banks kill this without hurting their own currencies seeing as it's a independent decentralized form of monetary value?

I hear a lot about how the banks will kill this off without any kind of formal explanation. Let's say you're correct though and by some form of magic the banks do manage to kill this. What's then stopping some 14yo making a far superior form of Blockchain and implementing it on the web again, again and again? You think the banks can kill all those as well?

It's simply a matter of time before widespread adoption is taken up but I agree that that may not be in bitcoin. It will be in the form of another cryptocurrency if not bitcoin...

As humans we are trained to think in a linear manner. Go look at Amazon's growth chart and compare it bitcoins growth chart. They actually look extremely similar yet simply because it's Fiat you don't hear anything about a unsustainable bubble etc...

Last edited:
it's a independent decentralized form of monetary value?

It's not! Talk to me when your employer starts paying you in Bitcoin or your banker loans you BTC. Until then it's just piggybacking on fiat money. Even if you're mining it, there's very little you can do with outside of buying drugs, funding a gambling account or buying a latte at a handful of hipster coffee shops. You need to convert it back to fiat to do anything significant with it.

Bankers can and probably will lobby against Bitcoin once they feel the banking system is being sidestepped. I think they're just humoring nerds at the moment. They could put pressure on ISPs to strangle the Bitcoin network traffic, for starters.

Another issue is the amount of power required to mine Bitcoin going forward. It's already staggering and at some point the utility companies are gonna have issues managing demand.

I love the idea of cryptocurrency and was into this shit way back in 2011. I'm just cynical about the establishment. Bankers will go to war with it.

I actually get paid in bitcoin.

No you don't. You invested dollars into your mining equipment and it's slowly dripping back towards you in BTC form.

https://www.getpaidinbitcoin.com.au

Yee of little faith haha. Posted that link somewhere in this thread sometime ago...

Like the saying goes, knowledge is power my friend.

How is this different from using a Bitcoin ATM after you get paid in dollars? Looks like these guys are just exploiting your Bitcoin fetishism.

In plain English: your purchasing power is still pegged to the AUD, not BTC. I'm sure you get that.

I redeemed it. Its a mostly-worthless piece of memorabilia now.

I woulda sold early no matter what. I guarantee you that no one is still sitting on coins they bought in 2011. If they do, they either lost their wallet or theyre dead.

There are definitely some holding on to BTC from 2013-2014

Crypto-currencies are only worth what someone else will pay for it.

I mostly agree with Matty.

In plain English: your purchasing power is still pegged to the AUD, not BTC. I'm sure you get that.
Of course. I simply don't want to work for a currency that's controlled and manipulated by the top 0.1% of society that dictates to me what I can earn from it... They've let us down and it's time we as a community changed the game up...

Crypto-currencies are only worth what someone else will pay for it.

I mostly agree with Matty.
Apparently a 5% overnight bump in the price if you ask the people of Venezuela...

Also if we say that bitcoin is a cryptocurrency then that automatically implies that it's a currency as a whole. Why do you think Satoshi's exist?

I give up.

Solid review and the implications of how net neutrality will effect crypto and the blockchain
[video=youtube_share;yahjdULhtlc]https://youtu.be/yahjdULhtlc[/video]

Bloomberg just added litecoin, ripple to their Terminal. At the least this adds credibility to the growing crypto market.

Only a matter of time before it hits coinbase and when it does.... Kaboom minimum 10x