Big Boys Club

• Start date
  • Replies 2,826 Comments
  • Views 95,120 Views
I just started training with Zwift, a phone app that pairs with a stationary bike or indoor trainer. I got an older "dumb" trainer and a speed/cadence sensor for $110 total (proper setups can cost thousands.) I might get a smart trainer for Christmas if I'm a good boy.

I set everything up on our second balcony, the one with the shittier view. Hopefully I can train there all winter. Based on my early and very sweaty efforts, I think it'll be doable even in January/February weather. Stationary cycling brings your body temp up very quickly cause of the lack of windblast.

View attachment 6241
What floor do you guys live on? Looks like a killer view!

34th. It is pretty amazing - when you enter the unit, it feels like you're floating on top of the water.

20210904_091631.jpg

I just started training with Zwift, a phone app that pairs with a stationary bike or indoor trainer. I got an older "dumb" trainer and a speed/cadence sensor for $110 total (proper setups can cost thousands.) I might get a smart trainer for Christmas if I'm a good boy.

I set everything up on our second balcony, the one with the shittier view. Hopefully I can train there all winter. Based on my early and very sweaty efforts, I think it'll be doable even in January/February weather. Stationary cycling brings your body temp up very quickly cause of the lack of windblast.

View attachment 6241

Oooh, I think even I could be coaxed onto a stationary bike with that setup. Looks like flying.

Nice View!
Are the boats in a cove,thinking stormy weather will make for some good entertainment

We got some amazing views of the air show a couple days after moving in.

It beats the view we had in our previous condo, which was already pretty sweet.

Nice View!
Are the boats in a cove,thinking stormy weather will make for some good entertainment
Yeah. We've had some pretty storms over the last couple weeks, didn't notide any crazy boat movement though.

Did an FTP test on the trainer... realized after I finished it that I was supposed to set the resistance to the minimum setting, not the middle one 🤦‍♂️ I got 252W which is a bit higher than what I had guesstimated (~230W). Not sure what to think. Pros max out just above 400W. I bet I can do 300W with the resistance set to the minimum, but I doubt that my actual FTP is that high after 5 months of cycling.
Screenshot_20210916-173911.jpg

From what I can tell, trainers (like Matty’s) are for cyclists. Most people I know that own Pelotons are not cyclists.

For about the same money as a Peloton you could get this (Wahoo Kickr + Climb) which simulates climbs by automatically increasing the resistance AND tilting your bike up... shit is wild:

wahoo-kickr-climb-indoor-grade-simulator-full-set.jpg

Started getting mild pain and clicking in the right kneecap. Ima have to start doing more systematic stretching routines to take care of my middle-aged tendons.

Started getting mild pain and clicking in the right kneecap. Ima have to start doing more systematic stretching routines to take care of my middle-aged tendons.
Ooof I don’t even want to read about injuries at my age

I started doing Zwift workouts on my trainer. Still feeling Monday's:
Screenshot_20210922-114532_Strava.jpg

Didn't ride at all yesterday, was busy unpacking and (re)assembling Ikea furniture. Planning to do the Week 1 Day 2 workout at some point today.

Also have tentative plans with MrQ for a Friday ride. Depends on the weather.