Baseball thread for the year

I am going to keep my baseball picks in this thread. I am glad NBA and NHL are both winding down for the season as I am excited to concentrate on fewer sports.

I am really busy with work and been on the road alot so I don't have much time today for write ups, hopefully it slows down over the next month.

I had an atrocious french open and barely broke even in the ncaa tourney and nba and nhl playoffs, not worth the time I spent on it. Going to be conservative the rest of the baseball year until football starts. All plays 1 unit unless listed otherwise

Ray +133 5dimes

cincy -134 5dimes

Giants -175 5dimes

Phillies -1.5 +120 5dimes

Braves +109 betjam

40-24 +14.35

I watched that whole game today on Fox between the Cubs and the Cardinals and that 5th inning was really a symbol of the whole Chicago Cubs season. The Cubs just seem to find a way to capture defeat from the jaws of victory every time. What a collapse in the 5th.

Pujols seems to really be in form and Westbrooks numbers have been fantastic since the all star break.

St Louis -141 (5dimes reduced juice) risk 4.23

Indians -135 (5dimes reduced juice) risk 1.35

Yankees -190 5dimes risk 1.90

Blue Jays +105 5dimes risk 1

Brewers -178 (5dimes reduced juice )risk 1.78

Rays -111 (5imes reduced juiced) risk 1.11

I rarely play anything over 2 or maybe 3 units in baseball but I have had alot of success with increasing units in August through the years so so we will see. St. Louis seems like one of those games tonight.Just looking at the numbers the Cubs have the worst road record in baseball losing 12 of their last 14 on the road and are 6-23 since May on the road. The cardinal are red hot, winning 7 of their last 9 games.

Dempster has been shelled in his last 2 outings going 0-2 with a 9.00 ERA. Westbrook , on the other hand, is 3-0 in his last 3 starts and allowed only 3 earned runs in his last 2 starts. This season the Cardinals have dominated the Cubs and with Dempster starting, the Cubs are 1-6 in their last 7 starts.

These seem to be two teams who are the excact opposites, the Cubs are unloading players left and right or looking to and The cardinals are int he heart of a great central race and seem to be really loooking to win it all this year before the inevitable Pujols decision, should be interesting to see what happens with Furcal. I am adding another unit on this.

St Louis -1 -104 5dimes risk 1.04 ( I got this line at +103 but I am using the line widely available for grading)

This one is a tough call,the Pirates have been the most profitable team to wager on in baseball this yearbut they seem to have hot the wall going 3-7 in their last 10 games.They face Worley who is 4-0 at home this season with a stellar ERA of 1.62, 6-0 in his last 7 starts and is 3-0 in his last 3 starts putting up an ERA of 1.61. The Phillies pitching rotation is one for the ages this year, I just don't see how you bet against the Phillies at home, they have won 19 of their last 24 games at home.I really like the no run int he first inning prop as well in this gameI am going back to the well with the Mets today. The Nationals really are not a team anyone should be putting money on even with Zimmerman on the mound.They have lost 8 of their 10 last games and The mets have been hot until yesterday ,winning 4 of their last 5 games.

Phillies -1 -137 risk 1.37 5dimes

Phillies/Pirates No run in first inning -120 risk 1.20

Zimmerman has been hurt alot over the past few years and he may be running out of steam as this season goes into August. I read some great stats from sports wagers, I think thats sherwood service, I am not sure, he points out Zimmermans ground ball rate has really been poor over the past few moths and he has been hit pretty hard over his last 4 starts. He was a pitcher who has constantly been on the DL so this may be worth looking at as he has pitched alot of innings.

Niese , on the other hand, as sports wagers pointed out in their write up, has a groundball rate of 52%,55%,57% and and xERA of 3.32. Niese has won his last 5 road starts and I see alot of value today on the Mets so I am going to try it again with the Mets.

Mets +107 Justbet risk 2

Baltimore has lost 4 of its last 5 games getting shelled int he process though they did take one against the Yanks. Thats pretty rare as they have lost 18 of the last 23 on the road to the Yanks. I am going to ass another unit on the yanks in this one, Garcia has looked good lately going 4-1 ,3,20 in his lat 4 starts and going with the over.going with the yanks. I dont like overs on sunday but with 11 of the last 14 of Baltimores games on the road going over, this weekends numbers so far, and the over is 6-3-1 with Reynolds behind the plate ,its worth a shot.

Yankees-1 -150 risk 1.50

yankees over 9.5 -10 risk 1.20 5dimes

no run in first -160 angels tiger risk 1.60

Tigers -143 risk 1.43

Atlanta -145 5dimes reduced juice risk 2.90

I will update record in the morning, St Louis ruined a very good day.

48-29 +12.58

Kershaw is 4-0 in his last 4 starts and 6-1 with a 1.68 ERA in his last seven outings and while the Dodgers are not playing great ball, San Diego is in free fall losing 15 of its last 22 games and trading one of the few bright spots in their offense. Luebke really doesnt have bad numbers but he is coming off a pair of bad starts. I like the Dodgers here.

Dodgers -130 5dimes risk 1.30

Lackey certainly has been a bust this year but he has been alot better lately going 4-0 in his last four starts though they were against teams like Seattle and Baltimore and he is still giving up runs. Boston has a two game lead over the yanks, this number is alright at -1

Boston -1 -136 risk 1.36

Sabathia is 6-1, 0.82 in his last seven starts, the White sox may be without Konerko today. I am looking at the under here as well, CC going for his 16th and Chicago cant hit the ball even when Konerko is in the lineup. The under is 19-5-4 in the last 28 White Sox games.

Yankees -1 145 5dimes risk 1.45

Under 8 -123 5dimes risk 1.23

Brewers won nine of their last ten home games and they are 8-0 at home when Greinke starts. The Brewers did sweep the Cards this year in Milwaukee and I love getting the Brewers at this number at home.

Brewers -123 justbet risk 1.23

Pirates -137 betonline risk 1.37

Giants -127 5dimes risk 1.27

I will be on that Arizona/Giant no run in first inning line when it comes out.

Dodgers o5.5 -115 5dimes risk 1.15

Oakland /seattle O 6.5 -130 5dimes risk 1.30

Reds -118 betonline risk 1.18

Last edited:
53-34 +9.5

Boston -1 -203 5dimes risk 2.03

Pirates -1 -102 risk 1.02

mets -125 risk 1.25

Giants -155 risk 1.55

Thanks Rogie, 3 poor days ina row, today I went 0-3 and lost some in live wagering as well.

wednesday picks

Atlanta -153 (5dimes reduced juice risk) 3.06

53-37 +5.68

The big thing I am watching out for his Albert Pujols status today, sports options has him listed as doubtful because of his wrist, if anyone knows anything more it would be much appreciated, I am already on the Brewers but I may add another unit if he is out.

I dont like betting against teams on a streak and the Nationals are starting to really hit the ball and are looking good. They have now won 4 in a row and are getting back to .500. The Braves on the other hand have lost 3 in a row and may missing Heyward today but The Braves havent lost more than 3 in a row this year and Beachy is coming off a fantastic game.

I saw both pitchers last games on MLBtv and Beachy looked fantastic giving up two hits in 7 innings and shutting out Florida. He has looked great since getting blasted in Colorado, going 1-0 with a 0.67 era in 13 innings. I saw Wangs return to the game and he really looked out of sync, giving up 6 runs and 8 hits in just 4 innings against the Mets.

This is really a wager against Wang than anything, beong out of the game for 2 years is a long time. I just dont see the Braves getting swept here, they are in a very tight wild card race witht the Giants and Dbacks and Cardinals and I just dont see them catching Philly.

They need to win these games against teams like the Nationals

The Brewers -104 risk 3.12

Sports options listed as Pujols as doubtful but I am not seeing any big line movement so its obvious this is not for sure. I just love The Brewers at home, they have won 10 of their last 12 home games and are the best home team in baseball going 40-15 this year. That game last night was alot closer than it should have been, the Brewers left 12 runners on base last night and should have won the game but it was a great one to watch. There is alot of bad blood between these teams and today should be a fun one to watch.

Wolf and Jackson are both hot with Wolf giving up 3 or fewer runs in his last 4 starts

Phillies -1 -162 risk 1.62 5dimes

Phillies O 5 TT +100 risk 1 5dimes

The Phillies just keep winning whether its on the road or at home winning 5 in a row and they send Halladay to the mound who is 4-1 in his last seven starts. He is coming off a great start giving up 1 hit in 7 scoreless innings against the Pirates, Halladays numbers are just amazing this year and he faces Hammel who is just 2-3 in his last 5 starts with an 8 ERA though he did look ok against San Diego. The Rockies have lost seven of their last 10 games and have lost 3 in a row. Colorado is not really a great home team as well, going 26-28 this year.

I am also looking at the Phillies team total in this one, Jerry Meals is behind the mound for this one and Hammels numbers with Meals have been 3-2 for the over but the totals have all hit 9 runs. Nine of the last 11 meetings with the Phillies and Rockies have gone over but I am not going to bet on the Rockies hitting Halladay or the Phillies bullpen to get the over

Night games

Boston TT O5 -135 5dimes risk 1.35 unit

Boston -1 -137 risk 1.37 unit 5dimes

Yankees/white sox U9 -125 SIA risk 1.25

Yankees -108 5dimes risk 1.08

Thanks rogie

Mets -133 5dimes risk 3.99 (mets in rain delay)

58 -39 + 11.08

Yankees -109 5dimes risk 1.09

Humber has been absolutely shelled in his last 3 outings, while Nova hasn't lost a game since the first of June. The White sox must have used half their bullpen tonight and the Yanks are just 1 game behind Boston with Boston having a tough one tomorrow against Masterson and the Indians.

I wonder if Ozzie is thinking more about Florida, the Sox have lost 5 straight and I just dont see them catching the Tigers but still alot of games to be played. Great number on Nova so I am going with the Yanks.

Rangers - 123 5dimes risk 1.23

Ogando lost his last two but you are going to lose games if you get all of two runs in two games for run support. He is still throwing the ball well and Ogando is 2-0 this year with a 0.61 ERA in his two starts against the Tigers. The Rangers need a win here and break this losing streak, it looks like the Angels are going to lose tonight but the Rangers are still only a half game ahead of the Angels.

Penny had an atrocious outing last game against the Angels barely lasting 3 innings and really has looked out of sync for most of the month of July. I am hoping the Texas bats wake up tomorrow, Penny loves these day games but Texas has done well against Penny in the past.

I am going to add 2 units to a Yankee runline -1 +109 risk 2

one unit to texas run line -1 -109 risk 1

Indians+1.5 -130 risk 1.30

Cubs +1 -121 risk 1.21

Giants +1 -110 risk 1.10

Blue Jays +1 -136 risk 1.36

Cardinals -101 risk 2.02
I played all games at 5dimes

Nationals +1 -117 risk 1.17

Nice job here all the way around!