Awesomerest

• Start date
  • Replies 44 Comments
  • Views 3,204 Views
Can you swim in a fur bikini?

Glow fur, I do not think so since it involves a battery pack that I don't think is waterproof.

Regular fake fur, sure.

MrX
I heard Overkill, Land Down Under, and It's a Mistake.

Overkill and It's a Mistake sound appropriate for Bread's explanation of the cow joke.

I would have liked to see him play Land Down Under. Song has some crazy chords. But, yeah the more I thought about I couldn't imagine Monkey on the edge of his sit watching this show.

I would have liked to see him play Land Down Under. Song has some crazy chords. But, yeah the more I thought about I couldn't imagine Monkey on the edge of his sit watching this show.

I actually enjoyed what I saw. I have a pretty wide ranging taste in music actually. He was quite good.

Beware those NLP nuts, for what it's worth. I never did see the benefit of the humanistic psychotherapies, they're all too Polyanna-ish in their unashamed appreciation for the "unique experience" which is human existence. Personally, I see the world as an open-air asylum, and phenomenology is too ready to fit within the framework of that universal insanity rather than rail against it. It's like owning a truck that doesn't run and attempting to round up people to help push it across town for you rather than searching deeper for that one mechanic who can restore it to functionality.

NLP was conceived as a evolution of Fritz Perls' Gestalt movement. Trust me when I say that anyone who's spent multiple days listening to recordings of Perls' therapy sessions shouldn't be taken at face value.

Beware those NLP nuts, for what it's worth. I never did see the benefit of the humanistic psychotherapies, they're all too Polyanna-ish in their unashamed appreciation for the "unique experience" which is human existence. Personally, I see the world as an open-air asylum, and phenomenology is too ready to fit within the framework of that universal insanity rather than rail against it. It's like owning a truck that doesn't run and attempting to round up people to help push it across town for you rather than searching deeper for that one mechanic who can restore it to functionality.

NLP was conceived as a evolution of Fritz Perls' Gestalt movement. Trust me when I say that anyone who's spent multiple days listening to recordings of Perls' therapy sessions shouldn't be taken at face value.

Thanks RS. I've done some looking into NLP, so I've got somewhat of a grasp. These two may very well be nut jobs, but most of my friends are so it's nothing out of the ordinary. I'm really not a kool aid drinker.

I'm didn't quite follow your explanation though. If anything, what I know of NLP is the opposite of the "unique experience". I thought it was pretty much against what people traditionally think of as therapy and therapists.

In the implementation, it's very much a departure from traditional psychotherapies. The theory of it, though, is still a humanistic attempt to assign relevance to what, cosmically, is a rather meaningless existence. It attempts to quantify your thought processes and modify them based on how their evidence shows that successful people think. While they may be successful in those modifications, I don't believe their science has extended to a point where it can provide deeper happiness (except for the people for whom money=happiness) or even the expanded awareness which is the basic goal of the original Gestalt therapy.

Even though I'm not a proponent of psychotherapy, I can at least respect the academically accepted iterations of it because they draw their inspiration from the scientific method. Decades of research have gone into proving and disproving various hypotheses regarding human consciousness with only the provable truth remaining as a foundation for practical methodologies. NLP doesn't really follow that scientific model in that it doesn't seek to explain why the "successful" people think more productively, it simply attempts to observe and imitate those processes in the minds of others. That's what I was trying to get at with my metaphor, that learning to think like other successful people is a stop-gap measure to finding the root cause of the dysfunction which motivates someone to seek a psychological solution to their problems in the first place.

I could be totally off-base with this stuff, and I'm sure it's evolved in the 13 years since I was first exposed to it in the research for my Senior Project in high school. Interestingly enough, that project was about trading in the futures/commodities markets, and was in the context of how NLP can offer a superior decision-making process to those who are trying to profit as traders. I could see the same principles applying to professional bettors as well, if they are indeed effective at all. Charles Faulkner was the guy I was reading about back then, I think I might look into what he's written on the subject since.

NLP is found more in organizational psychology and those that claim to be "life coaches." I believe it's found in solution-focused therapy as well.

Any form of humanistic science, such as psychology, is considered a "soft" science. It really isn't considered to have the data that a "real" science would have in order to prove/disprove theories. If I remember correctly, NLP had less data to support it as a working therapy.

However, no therapy/theory works for everyone. Some people would benefit from NLP, while others would benefit from more of the traditional psychotherapy, such as CBT or person-centered therapy. There is tons of research disputing any known psychotherapy, and whether it benefits anyone in general. To each, their own.

The X's seem very cool, sorry they can't make it to Orlando....