32. Auchentoshan 12
33. Macallan 12
34. Glenfiddich 12
35. Whyte & Mackay Special
36. Johnny Walker Red
37. Isle of Arran 10

Bad
38. Ballantine's Finest

Two additions, Highland Park 21 (excellent but not worth the money) & Aberlour 18 (good value).

hey, what happened to the bourbon thread? i looked/searched and couldn't find it. don't want to ruin a scotch thread with info on a new and good 96-proof texas whiskey.

Had Gentlemans Jack for the first time tonight.

Just a click below JD Single Barrel. VERY serviceable. 4 clicks above regular Jack. As all the Jacks, it's very different than Makers.
The high end Jacks are Scarlett J. Makers is Mila Kunis.

Not a bad comparison! Makers, like Kunis, is a bit rougher around the edges.

I don't think that GJ is close to JDSB, but that's cause GJ reeks of ripe bananas and I hate that smell.

I haven't bought a bottle of Single Barrel in quite a while. It'll definitely be a mainstay on my whisky shelf once I'm done exploring scotch. Just an unbelievable drink, and what a bargain compared to scotch. :up:

gracias, matty. http://www.drinkrangercreek.com/whiskey/

ranger creek .36 ... short-aged, small barrel whiskey, 96 proof. only being sold in 375 ml bottles right now, retailed for about $33 at a well-known texas outlet.

really liked it, very smooth for its proof and considering it's a 2-yr-old spirit. puro whiskey, clean (no smokey flavor at all) and sweet. would rate it higher than the garrison brothers that is way overpriced. this one is also a bit pricey, but i'd rate it a bit better than knob creek which is one of my favorites.

Hauling out this old thread for Matty. This is an interesting article about the different types of scotch.

http://www.esquire.com/features/drinking/best-non-peaty-scotch-1112

esq-scotch-four-1112-lg.jpg

Thanks MrQ! Big fan of peaty scotch here, but I also like the sherried stuff, on the other end of the spectrum. Actually, my favorite scotch (Dalmore 18) has no peat at all and is considered a "sherry bomb".

Not a big fan of Auchentoshan. Bruichladdich is alright but most of it is middling stuff. We like our shit to have character. Never had Glengoyne or Tobermory.

I would looooove to try the Knob Creek Rye pictured at the bottom of the article. Never seen it at the LCBO.

I've pretty much stopped trying new scotch. Once you settle on a few favorites from the peaty and non-peaty camps, you know what to expect out of the lesser ones.

Peaty - Lagavulin 16
Non-peaty - Dalmore 18 (or Macallan 18 or Highland Park 18)

That's all you need to know.

We're deep into wine exploration these days, Bordeaux & Barolo right now.

:smitch:

I randomly had the Lagavulin 16 last night. I was excited to come here and recommend it. Now I noticed it was your top peaty pick, Matty.

Great minds think alike. :highfive:

I also enjoyed the Balvenie 12.

Just bought a bottle of Highland park per Mattys rec.

Sweet with a smoky finish.

:highfive: Laga is godly.

Highland Park strikes the perfect balance between sweet and peaty.

Balvenie is a bit too feminine to my taste, but it's not bad.

That laga was potent with peat. I literally had 3 different people walk by me and mention how intense my drink smelled.

Matty's Ranking of Bourbons and Tennessee Whiskeys

Crack-like
1. Jack Daniel's Single Barrel
2. Maker's 46
3. Maker's Mark
4. Buffalo Trace
5. Bulleit
6. Eagle Rare Single Barrel
7. Fighting Cock

Excellent
8. Four Roses Single Barrel
9. Booker's
10. Wild Turkey 101
11. Woodford Reserve Something or Other
12. Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve
13. Knob Creek
14. Four Roses (yellow label, 80 proof)
15. Four Roses Small Batch
16. Old Fitzgerald's 1849
17. 1792 Ridgemont Reserve
18. Elijah Craig 12 Years

Good
19. Corner Creek
20. Jim Beam Black
21. Jack Daniel's Old No. 7
22. Gentleman Jack
23. Jefferson's
24. Jim Beam White

Bad
25. Wild Turkey 80

#8 Four Roses Single Barrel tastes like oaky vanilla caramel mixed with some maple syrup. Might be the best-smelling whiskey ever. :clap:

I started the night with Macallan 12. I still find it very enjoyable. Could drink that stuff anytime.

That laga was potent with peat. I literally had 3 different people walk by me and mention how intense my drink smelled.

Yeah, you won't make many friends drinking that at the bar. And if you make it your session drink, remember to use mouthwash just before you pass out, otherwise :lmao:

I started the night with Macallan 12. I still find it very enjoyable. Could drink that stuff anytime.

Macallan's good, it's just stupidly expensive for what it is. $20 for an oz of the 18 at the local pubs & $250 for a bottle. :surrender:

Macallan Cask Strength is decent value - $100 or so for 60% abv fire water.

I've never tried any of the expensive stuff. I'll give the Dalmore 18 and Mac 18 a taste soon. JW Blue too.