Americans Work Too Much for Their Own Good

• Start date
  • Replies 88 Comments
  • Views 5,241 Views
that is fucking insane daffy you the real 1%.

I think I read somewhere recently that you have to make about 400K a year to make the 1%.

Even being topped out it will take me at 4.25 years to make that.

i cant tell if that first sentence is sarcasm or not

No sarcasm actually.

I work about 55 hours a week, and in addition to the known dangers of my job I have to deal with constantly changing policies and
procedures. It's enough to make your head spin.

With that said, I'm very fortunate to have my job and I
think about that often.

Muse, calm down. I pay taxes too pal.

I got tuned up for over $300 in federal taxes alone.

When's the last time an auto collaspe on a firefighter?

Buildings are designed based on the Building Code enforced at the time the building was designed and built. So you are basically asking an engineer in the year 2011 to assure you that a building which was designed and built in 1920 by an engineer and a contractor no longer on planet earth and an obsolete building code is able to behave in a fire the same way like a brand new building designed today with different materials and a building code that is 500X thicker than the building code the original building was designed and built.

Daft I've been clean for 41 hours pal, cut me slack. I'll be better in a few days if I stick it out or a few hours if I relapse.

Daft I've been clean for 41 hours pal, cut me slack. I'll be better in a few days if I stick it out or a few hours if I relapse.

give him a break Daft!

Buildings are designed based on the Building Code enforced at the time the building was designed and built. So you are basically asking an engineer in the year 2011 to assure you that a building which was designed and built in 1920 by an engineer and a contractor no longer on planet earth and an obsolete building code is able to behave in a fire the same way like a brand new building designed today with different materials and a building code that is 500X thicker than the building code the original building was designed and built.

Good answer!

Me too. Many old buildings are a fire hazard from collapsing and not from the fire itself and the firemen are putting their lives at risk going into these buildings.

From this answer you are talking bout them collasping not from the fire and in your "good answer" post you discuss how old buildings with old building codes behave differently in a fire!

So are you saying old buildings under old building codes should also be allowed to just collaspe on their own? Is this the norm?

MrMonkey is acting strangely today boys.......

Good answer!

From this answer you are talking bout them collasping not from the fire and in your "good answer" post you discuss how old buildings with old building codes behave differently in a fire!

So are you saying old buildings under old building codes should also be allowed to just collaspe on their own? Is this the norm?

Buildings today are designed to have either a 1hr, 2hr or 4hr fire rating (the higher the rating the more fireproof materials have to be used). A 1920 building was not designed to have any fire rating. So by the time the firemen show up after 10 minutes from the 911 call the fire may have consumed the roof materials and framing members and it can collapse at any time. Also buildings today are designed for earthquakes and they have connections tying the roof to the walls to resist the seismic loads which also helps keeping the roofs up longer in the event of the fire before collapsing. In 1920 no one designed for fires or earthquakes.

Come to work with me one day and wrestle with the HIV+ guy who stole merchandise from Walmart and punched a clerk on the way out.

Walmart? Lose your gig at the mall?

I think you meant to say chasing guys down at Macy's.

Muse, I wasn't defending Daft in my argument about High Risk occupations for fire fighters and police. Daft's pension will be more like 15% discount at the Gap and 2 free options per month at Cina-Bun.

Pics of your engineering degree or ban!

Seriously though I love having Pavy here posting here at GL! The guy is doing his best to help get sports on the 2nd page if not the front page! I try at times but can't pick winners often like he does! :clap:

Walmart? Lose your gig at the mall?

I think you meant to say chasing guys down at Macy's.

Muse, I wasn't defending Daft in my argument about High Risk occupations for fire fighters and police. Daft's pension will be more like 15% discount at the Gap and 2 free options per month at Cina-Bun.

Still haven't gotten laid huh, Wally?

I almost feel bad for you.

half the gringos down here are retired cops-firefighters. colombia is a lot of fun for single 50 year olds with $7k a month to burn.

I work about 55 hours a week, and in addition to the known dangers of my job I have to deal with constantly changing policies and
procedures. It's enough to make your head spin.

lolol i know it is amazing not sure if it translates to your area but the old fuks refusing to use technology doesn't exactly help. I was working with a police chief a few years back and one of the questions I asked him was what computer applications are you using at your station and his response was 'i dont know, i guess we use the internet'. This same police chief would not allow divisional notices to be sent by email so beginning and end of every shift someone had to go to post office to pick them up, drop them off.

I just don't think working 55 hours a week is WAY too hard thats all.

lolol i know it is amazing not sure if it translates to your area but the old fuks refusing to use technology doesn't exactly help. I was working with a police chief a few years back and one of the questions I asked him was what computer applications are you using at your station and his response was 'i dont know, i guess we use the internet'. This same police chief would not allow divisional notices to be sent by email so beginning and end of every shift someone had to go to post office to pick them up, drop them off.

I just don't think working 55 hours a week is WAY too hard thats all.

depends what your doing, its all relative...
40 hr week sitting at a desk is not the same as a 40 hr week busting your ass everyday