Aging

• Start date
  • Replies 342 Comments
  • Views 34,772 Views
Odds-on favorite for most likely way for me to die: in a car crash because I got completely distracted by some beautiful woman walking around.

Or else stairs. Nothing to do with women but I feel like stairs are an underrated hazard.

Earl Anthony died in 2001, succumbing to head injuries suffered after falling down a flight of stairs at his friend Ed Baur's home in New Berlin, Wisconsin. He was 63 years old

I am now older than my older brother ever got to be. 55 years, 2 months. My brother never looked at the world as a 55 year, 2 month-old.

Seems weird. Not super-weird but in a low-key way.

Odds-on favorite for most likely way for me to die: in a car crash because I got completely distracted by some beautiful woman walking around.

Or else stairs. Nothing to do with women but I feel like stairs are an underrated hazard.

I once witnessed a woman fall down a flight of stairs at my university and it was one of the more violent things I've ever seen.

Stairs are not to be trifled with.

I know. Stairs are generally hard as fuck. And I see people all the time just traipsing up and down without paying the slightest attention. Maybe their arms are full and they can't even see where they're stepping, and they're blabbing away. It just takes one slight misstep to set the ball rolling downhill.

Or what about amateur movers and stairs? I can totally give myself the willies thinking about shit I've done during moves - supporting some super heavy awkward thing - my piano is the obvious one - and maybe I'm on the stairs - maybe I'm drunk and stoned - maybe the guy at the other end is too - and all it would take is one little slip of the hand from either of us . . .

I'm amazed there isn't more stair-related mayhem.

But speaking of beautiful women, here's one now. Very lovely female but when you really look at it, what an insanely unnatural pic. Seriously, try to recreate that sitting position.

Go on, try.

my2uwtw1g8j11-758x948.jpg

Unless the caning on the chair is fucked up it's obviously a photo shop.

Here's the latest - which I chalk up to aging - which may be totally wrong - I don't know - but it's something new that has been happening.

Night Stinks.

It seems that I have started sweating like a boxer in my sleep. I wake up in the middle of the night and the sheets are wet and smell like an armpit. It's weird because it's not unusually hot around here at this point. We just went thru summer - with no A/C - and there was no particular issue.

There has been no particular issue for the 55 years leading up to now.

But suddenly: Night Stinks.

I believe all the remaining regulars here are definitely getting up there now and learning what gazillions knew before us.

This shit sucks eh?

The Night Stinks have gone away as fast as they showed up.

:dunno:

No but seriously man, I do my grocery shopping on Friday mornings and man, the grocery stores I use totally turn into Old Folks Central.

Soooo many slow-moving, oblivious old coots and whatever the female counterpart of coot is. Human speed bumps just drifting all over the place.

At one point today I was cornered by three of them and their carts. I literally could not move until someone moved on - which took awhile. I had to laugh.

I am so lucky to have such good mobility.

Sometimes I feel old but right about now ---> more like a 13 year-old Romanian gymnast.

My buddy Bert emailed me to tell me his sister, who has cancer, has been given 4-6 months to live.

Meanwhile my sister emailed me to let me know my dad has been diagnosed as being in the early stages of dementia.

Electronic postcards from hell.

I trotted out a TV reference to a chick at work and got a blank stare. It felt like an out-of-body experience as I found myself saying, "Oh yeah, that's a Seinfeld reference - which was a TV show - probably before you were born."

Time marches on.