2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

• Start date
  • Replies 221 Comments
  • Views 10,995 Views
Since when did the Ski Jumpers have a track to guide them to the jump? Didn't they used to have to actually Ski down the hill and not down two thin tracks for their skis?

I am just reading now that the tracks are actually climate controlled now.

ALOSLIDE and ALOSLIDE ICE Inrun Track Systems
Advanced Ceramics for Ski Jumping Events

Unlike in the past, there is no guarantee that Europe will get sufficient snowfall for winter sports anymore. Ski jumping events have to be postponed time and time again or even canceled. While CeramTec-ETEC might not be able to influence the amount of snow, the company does offer a unique ceramic solution called ALOSLIDE.

CeramTec-ETECs ALOSLIDE inrun track system with ceramic nubs and ALOSLIDE ICE additionally equipped with an automatic irrigation and cooling system developed for ski jumps make it possible to hold ski jumping events all year round. The worlds ski jumping elite can glide on the ALOSLIDE inrun track just like on snow, regardless of the weather. ALOSLIDE systems are approved and certified by the FIS.

I'm pretty sure they were in tracks when I used to watch Wide World of Sports in the 80s.

Maybe I'm wrong. I just watched the 'agony of defeat' crash, and there didn't seem to be tracks.

Since when did the Ski Jumpers have a track to guide them to the jump? Didn't they used to have to actually Ski down the hill and not down two thin tracks for their skis?

I am just reading now that the tracks are actually climate controlled now.

ALOSLIDE and ALOSLIDE ICE Inrun Track Systems
Advanced Ceramics for Ski Jumping Events

Unlike in the past, there is no guarantee that Europe will get sufficient snowfall for winter sports anymore. Ski jumping events have to be postponed time and time again or even canceled. While CeramTec-ETEC might not be able to influence the amount of snow, the company does offer a unique ceramic solution called ALOSLIDE.

CeramTec-ETEC’s ALOSLIDE inrun track system with ceramic nubs and ALOSLIDE ICE – additionally equipped with an automatic irrigation and cooling system – developed for ski jumps make it possible to hold ski jumping events all year round. The world’s ski jumping elite can glide on the ALOSLIDE inrun track just like on snow, regardless of the weather. ALOSLIDE systems are approved and certified by the FIS.
I think what they are saying is you can use these tracks even without snow. It doesn't say though what happens after the jump. Are they supposed to land on rocks?

I think what they are saying is you can use these tracks even without snow. It doesn't say though what happens after the jump. Are they supposed to land on rocks?

My sister lives right next to a gigantic ski jump. In the summer they land on a surface that resembles artificial turf. The skis seem to slide just fine on it.

Here's the actual jump. Looks even bigger in person.

10.JPG

MrX, I'll do what IAG did way before attempting that! :nono:

MrX, I'll do what IAG did way before attempting that! :nono:

It's pretty fucking intimidating just to stand near. I kinda want to do it.

MrX
My sister lives right next to a gigantic ski jump. In the summer they land on a surface that resembles artificial turf. The skis seem to slide just fine on it.

10.JPG

Wow! This looks exciting. That will be so much fun trying. Maybe after a few drinks..lol

Thanks for sharing.

that is real ass snow at the 45 second mark..... not olympics but still

here is the history of the WR... notice the difference between the ramp at 10:10 and the one previous at 9:30

here is the history of the WR... notice the difference between the ramp at 10:10 and the one previous at 9:30

Good research. There was at least one with deep tracks earlier in the video. 1999 at about 5:30.

but are the deep tracks just the result of alot of practice jumps beforehand or are they built in somehow

Muddy, how do they decide who gets the hammer 1st? And is that advantage made up somewhere?

btw, Russian team is all good looking :up:

Muddy, how do they decide who gets the hammer 1st? And is that advantage made up somewhere?

In the round robin portion it is just randomly distributed so everyone gets hammer in the first end the same number of times. It's basically like the NFL schedule or whatever, making sure everyone has the same number of home games.

In the playoffs, the higher seed always gets the hammer in the first end.

Not sure what you mean by, "is that advantage made up somewhere?" Any end where you score, you lose hammer. That's why teams almost always prefer to blank than score 1. They want to keep last rock advantage until they can use it to score multiple points. But it's not like the NFL where you receive the opening kickoff but then kick away in the second half. It would be more comparable to one half of football. While possession goes back and forth a few times, it is unquestionably an advantage to receive that first kick.

There was a time a good hitting team could have hammer in the first end - and play 79 consecutive peels (takeouts) through the whole game - blanking every end and retaining hammer - then draw with their last rock in the 10th end and win 1-0. But they changed the rules some years back and introduced the "free guard zone" because that total hitting game really sucked. So there is more scoring and the hammer almost has to go back and forth more.

But you still always prefer to have it in the first if you can.

MrX

10.JPG

went to the one in park city - sick shit

2844458.jpg