2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

• Start date
  • Replies 221 Comments
  • Views 11,082 Views
It's like calling a hard core frenchie from qwabek a Canadian.

Scots have come out dead flat. Had an easy deuce set up in the 4th but a couple of weak skip rocks and they end up giving up a steal of 1.

6-1 Canada.

Canada's challenge is to stay focused. Lot of ends still to play.

Canada has quietly gotten back into 2nd place overall in the medal count. Not too shabby.

@Mudcat

I honestly did not realize that the Scots were playing under the GB flag until I heard them speaking... Do Scots always play for GB in curling? Here are some other curling facts ty to the BBC

Sochi 2014: 10 things you didn't know about curling

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/winter-olympics/26253664

_73113196_curlingold.jpg

Is the curling on TV in America? I can't find it.

@Mudcat

I honestly did not realize that the Scots were playing under the GB flag until I heard them speaking... Do Scots always play for GB in curling? Here are some other curling facts ty to the BBC

Sochi 2014: 10 things you didn't know about curling

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/winter-olympics/26253664

_73113196_curlingold.jpg

Great Britain is the official name given to the two kingdoms of England and Scotland, and the principality of Wales. It is an island lying off the western coast of Europe, comprising the main territory of the United Kingdom

I understand that plommay but in other competition's they play under the Scottish flag do they not? Where does this leave the Welsh and the Irish?

Dont forget Northern Ireland... thats part of GB right?

I don't think in the Olympics you can have Britain and parts of Britain competing could you?

I don't think in the Olympics you can have Britain and parts of Britain competing could you?

I don't think so, but there must be other competitions where they play under the Scottish flag, no?

Scotland competes in the world championships every year. They have basically been the #2 power in curling (behind Canada) for about 50 years.

England and Wales are eligible like every other country but I can't recall them ever qualifying.

David Murdoch and his team are well known to me as Scots. Same with Eve Muirhead on the womens side who is a former world champ and bronze medalist here.

I am not making a political statement by calling them Scots. I just do it without thinking because that's how I know them. If anyone wants to call them GBR, it's okay with me. I do not know David Murdoch's politics and if he considers himself a modern day William Wallace. I have never seen evidence to that effect but who knows?

I generally like all the Scottish teams and do not enjoy seeing them collapse like they have today, but I of course really want this Canada threepeat so, you know, enjoy the silver.

:canada:

GB just cried uncle. Curling gold.

:canada:

Yap. Scotland does the velcro snap and goes to the handshakes after 8 ends.

Brad Jacobs has given me fits at time. Terrible showing at last year's worlds. Terrible shaky start here. But closes it out with an 8 game win streak and looks authoritative doing it. Young guy who could and should be a huge part of Canada's future. Heir apparent to Kevin Martin perhaps. Great to see.

Gold