• Replies 147 Comments
  • Views 7,887 Views

Vegas Dave

Not a Real GameLiver
Since
Jan 28, 2010
Score
Tokens
Going to be playing in every WSOP Online Bracelet Event from 7/20 through 7/27 and streaming them "live" (slight delay of 5 mins so viewers can see my hole cards and opponents can't while I'm still in the hand) on twitch.tv/davesdime.

07/20/20 Pot Limit Omaha 6-Handed Bracelet Event ($500)
07/21/20 No Limit Hold'em 6-Handed Bracelet Event ($777)
07/22/20 No Limit Hold'em Turbo Deepstack Bracelet Event ($500)
07/23/20 No Limit Hold'em Knockout Bracelet Event / $100 Bounties ($500)
07/24/20 No Limit Hold'em 8-Handed Bracelet Event ($400)
07/25/20 No Limit Hold'em Summer Saver Bracelet Event ($500)
07/26/20 No Limit Hold'em Grande Finale Bracelet Event ($500)
07/26/20 No Limit Hold'em $400,000 GTD Online Championship Event ($525)
07/27/20 No Limit Hold'em Freezeout Bracelet Event ($400)

Would love some GameLive degen energy up in the chat! Stop by for some streams if ya'll are bored one afternoon. They all start at 3pm PT.

Common one time e58b1cf6c919573cc5e736e7d53e55ff (1).gif

I'll tune in!

How many people usually join one of these events?

This is pretty unprecedented as WSOP has never been done all online before. But it's been super successful so far. You have to physically be in Nevada or New Jersey to play. Insane to think about the numbers they'd produce if it was legal to play everywhere...

On average these events have been getting around 1000-1500 entrants. First place you get a gold WSOP bracelet and cash prize over $100,000.

Is online poker a totally different game? I mean, I know play has migrated more towards skill in math rather than skill in reading tells but I dunno, still seemed an important aspect of the game. Also, can't people just use probability software online?

Is online poker a totally different game? I mean, I know play has migrated more towards skill in math rather than skill in reading tells but I dunno, still seemed an important aspect of the game. Also, can't people just use probability software online?

Yes. I vastly prefer live. Many of the elite players nowadays don't worry too much about tells and what not as like you say they use math and probability solvers to try to play Game Theory Optimal (GTO).

But I still find a ton of value in physical tells... it isn't so much like "he took a sip of water, he's bluffing" as it is just a sixth sense I get from all the poker I've played over the years. When I'm trying to decide if a guy is bluffing on the river online I only have the story they told with their bet sizes to go on... live I have so much more to study/consider.

Way easier to cheat online obviously... I'll be streaming so everyone can see I'm not, but those that don't stream could get on phone with friends or have 4-5 guys in the room together solving for optimal strategies. You can have charts pulled up on your computer for mathematically correct decisions in various spots (that you'd have to know from memory live).

The online game is much much faster too. Each player only gets 15 seconds to act (with a 2 min timebank they can tap into for bigger decisions). This in general is awesome as you get to see way more hands an hour... nowadays live people take foreverrrrr calculating and hollywooding on decisions, online is more bang bang. Does suck when you have a truly tough decision though and say you have only 20s left in your time bank.

So yeah, it's definitely different. Like I said I prefer live by a mile, BUT on the other hand I really love streaming. I usually only get 5-10 viewers (though I anticipate a few more next week as it's a WSOP bracelet event and I've been making some online "friends" in my buddy Jeff's nightly poker stream), but even with a small audience... having people watching and cheering with you on wins and cursing with you on losses is a really cool experience.

So silly, everybody has to drive to Vegas to sit at home and play on the internet 🤦
Must be the same people who came up with the coronavirus "measures".

GTO is an interesting concept. If everyone played it well games would be impossible to beat. I'm curious how many actually come close. Thing is it's all about doing things a correct percentage of the time. Meaning there is no correct play in a given hand. 👍

So silly, everybody has to drive to Vegas to sit at home and play on the internet 🤦
Must be the same people who came up with the coronavirus "measures".

GTO is an interesting concept. If everyone played it well games would be impossible to beat. I'm curious how many actually come close. Thing is it's all about doing things a correct percentage of the time. Meaning there is no correct play in a given hand. 👍

Yeah that's what's interesting at the absolute highest levels. And then there's some who argue for or against exploitative play... GTO enthusiasts suggest ALWAYS playing GTO while others use GTO in most cases but make adjustments against specific opponents. Of course, purely perfect play is also impossible with human error, tilt, etc.

Though the top pros don't get too flustered by those things. And you are right about the games being unbeatable... you USED to see top pros clash and go H2H all the time, but now they won't all just sit and play high stakes against each other. The game needs some whales like billionaire businessmen to run.

Also keep in mind this is only a problem at the absolute highest levels. The vast majority of poker players are nowhere close to GTO.

What time is it EST on the 20th?

Every day will start at 3pm PT / 6pm PT. They usually run about 12 hours (of course my runs aren't likely to last that long, but you never know!). But don't expect everyone to stay the whole time haha come and go as you please!

Yeah that's what's interesting at the absolute highest levels. And then there's some who argue for or against exploitative play... GTO enthusiasts suggest ALWAYS playing GTO while others use GTO in most cases but make adjustments against specific opponents. Of course, purely perfect play is also impossible with human error, tilt, etc.

Though the top pros don't get too flustered by those things. And you are right about the games being unbeatable... you USED to see top pros clash and go H2H all the time, but now they won't all just sit and play high stakes against each other. The game needs some whales like billionaire businessmen to run.

Also keep in mind this is only a problem at the absolute highest levels. The vast majority of poker players are nowhere close to GTO.
yeah I would think it's not close to optimum (although still profitable) against anybody that would be worth (profitable) playing against. It ultimately only prevents someone else taking advantage of you.
Curious though if these pros still go on tilt often enough to not really be playing GTO, and are therefore possibly exploitable. And also to what extent the game theory is actually solved. I believe it's only perfectly solved for limit heads up. :dunno: I just hate to think that there are unbeatable players :laugh: , although the concept is pretty cool

yeah I would think it's not close to optimum (although still profitable) against anybody that would be worth (profitable) playing against. It ultimately only prevents someone else taking advantage of you.
Curious though if these pros still go on tilt often enough to not really be playing GTO, and are therefore possibly exploitable. And also to what extent the game theory is actually solved. I believe it's only perfectly solved for limit heads up. :dunno: I just hate to think that there are unbeatable players :laugh: , although the concept is pretty cool

Well LUCK is still the great equalizer! Unlike Chess which is 100% skill, even a truly perfect GTO player that balances his ranges perfectly and always puts his opponents in extremely difficult spots... will still have some massive downswings when the cards don't go his way.

It's similar to counting cards in that way. Like a card counter can find an edge on a deck that has more 10s and As than low cards, thus making it a profitable game. BUT more 10s and As also means dealer is more likely to get them. Unlike in the movie montages where the card counters always crush, in reality they are just grinding out a profit with a small edge over the long term... they can get crushed in a session or two even with optimal play and deck conditions.

Luck becomes an even bigger factor in poker tournaments. Unlike in cash games where players are always deepstacked and can play "perfectly" in every spot (and just rebuy when they lose an all-in), tourneys the blinds are always going up and there's a lot of shortstack play, which leads to much higher variance and relying on the cards to go your way. Again, long term, GTO wizard will be profitable over 50,000 multi-table tournaments, but in a span of 5-10 days he could go without cashing one.

I'm probably in the... top 20% or so? In a game like chess would always beat the 80% below me and always get crushed by the 10-15% clearly above me. But in nine random tournaments it could be GTO guy, me, or some total doofus that shines.

Well sure, that's a different matter. Especially something like this GTO would generally entail smaller advantages (versus a more catered to the opponent strategy) against very weak opponents and very high volatility