Who is going to be the next President of the United States?

• Start date
  • Replies 1,787 Comments
  • Views 106,706 Views
I agree with you Dave. But what are the poor/mid level income people gonna get out of it? At least if they said we'll raise the rate on the rich to lower or eliminate taxes for any income up to a living wage. They won't do that. They will use the money for corporate contracts, prisons, police, bombs, war, bureaucracy where everybody gets paid but makes life tougher for average people, etc.
Eh, fuck these guys, rather the rich keep their money :hey:

Can't argue with this. Government notorious for doing a pitiful job with government programs. I'd be all for a more libertarian system and the reduction of government.

But alas, there is so much $ and power in big government that it is here to stay. So given the super flawed options between letting the super rich keep more of their massive wealth or taxing them a bit more so that a bit of that $ ends up in programs that help people in need, I'll take the latter.

Ok great. I think we all agree taxes suck and the govt is largely inefficient at spending. We'll reserve debate for what qualifies as scary/terrifying for a later date.

That weirdo hairsniffer is going to win and we are going to pay through our anuses in taxes

That weirdo hairsniffer is going to win and we are going to pay through our anuses in taxes
I swear if Sanders was on an Independent ticket, Trump would win the presidency

O4lwbY3.jpg

All you better go and vote. RJ, you log some lazy asses to voting centers.

I NEED over 60% voter turnout.

WE are? I personally don't run a massive corporation or have a personal income of over $400,000/year but congrats to all you GameLivers that do!!

WE are? I personally don't run a massive corporation or have a personal income of over $400,000/year but congrats to all you GameLivers that do!!
VD, as much as I love to believe politicians, I’m going to err on the side of “Ill believe it when I see it” when it comes to Biden’s promise on this.

The fact that he is espousing this as his primary platform leads me to believe it’s more fondant and less cake.

It's already a lie. His plan for a 1-1 credit for 401k contributions vs an above the line reduction to income is a tax increase on anyone who uses a 401k and has any other payment calculated off AGI. In other words anyone paying student loans in an income driven repayment schedule like myself.

VD, as much as I love to believe politicians, I’m going to err on the side of “Ill believe it when I see it” when it comes to Biden’s promise on this.

The fact that he is espousing this as his primary platform leads me to believe it’s more fondant and less cake.

Well, yeah. You are a Republican. So of course you are going to give your guy the benefit of the doubt and assume the other guy is lying.

I can't argue hypotheticals with you. I certainly won't disagree that we can't trust politicians. But there isn't any evidence that Biden will raise taxes on the lower/middle class. And even if he DID raise them back to pre-Trump rates, the average person would hardly notice; Trump's tax cuts most severely impacted corporations and the wealthiest Americans, not those in the lower and middle class. "We are going to pay through our anuses in taxes" is an overstatement is all I'm saying.

And for what it's worth, have no qualms with any of you voting for Trump if keeping taxes lower is your number one issue. He's definitely the better candidate for that. As he is for gun rights, pro life, etc.

Two party system. You do you. But let's not pretend like the world is going to end if Biden becomes president.

Another aspect of Bidens tax plan, increases to corporate rates, is a stealth tax on the poor and middle class. The tax policy center has time and time again shown analysis that corporate income taxes are borne by the end user of the corporate products. So Biden and his supporters can fairly claim he's not raising taxes on anyone making less than 400k... but you WILL pay more for household goods as a direct effect of corporate tax increases.

Stated another way: "NOT RAISING TAXES - NEENER NEENER NEENER."

And for what it's worth, have no qualms with any of you voting for Trump if keeping taxes lower is your number one issue. He's definitely the better candidate for that. As he is for gun rights, pro life, etc.

Two party system. You do you. But let's not pretend like the world is going to end if Biden becomes president.

Fair point. I already mailed it and I abstained in the national election.

You would say the same about the Don term 2.0? Let's not pretend the world is going to end if Trump remains president?

You would say the same about the Don term 2.0? Let's not pretend the world is going to end if Trump remains president?

No. And if that makes me a hypocrite, I can live with that. But it's my belief.

The world (more specifically, USA) can obviously survive a Trump presidency. It already has. Dems 100% make him out to be worse than he actually is. It's entirely possible we would just have four years of the same and then be done with it.

Having said that, he is a uniquely terrifying president. He has galvanized and empowered the fringes. He has worked diligently to discredit the media and attack the first amendment. His vote suppression techniques and "jokes" about getting rid of term limits are alarming.

Bidens floor is a lot higher. He could end up being a shitty president. He may not be the right choice for you. But he isn't any real threat to democracy or the law of the land. Trump sims are less clear; lots of fine sims, but some really scary worst case scenarios.

@Vegas Dave Ive actually voted Democrat as many times as I have voted Republican. I don’t talk a lot of politics on here and tend to keep my views somewhat tame in comparison to other GL brothers lol.