Who is going to be the next President of the United States?

• Start date
  • Replies 1,787 Comments
  • Views 110,466 Views
They're still private, in the sense that they aren't govt-owned.

But they should probably be regulated at this point.
But I learned they are regulated and since the are publicly owned companies, they are not private

MrX
What do you mean?

The main difference between being a privately owned company and a publicly traded company is one of financial disclosure.

I don't think being publicly traded has any bearing on the free speech issue that people are trying to make this into.
By what I was hearing today, that is debateable

But I learned they are regulated and since the are publicly owned companies, they are not private
The regulations are financial in nature. They're not regulated like a media or telecom company would be.

Yeah the regulation is about transparency into operations and financials. Its all about fair dealing between investors and management.

Its obviously is a free speech issue. If all eminent platforms are controlled by private tyrannies, does it make one feel better that it's technically not called "government"? It obviously is a (non elected) government. A corporate, ie fascist by definition, government. The fact that people refuse to see it in those terms is amazing to me.

Can someone tell me how Facebook and Twitter can do the things they are doing right now considering they are not private companies?

can you clarify the "do the things they are doing right now" portion of your question? what are they doing?

Its obviously is a free speech issue. If all eminent platforms are controlled by private tyrannies, does it make one feel better that it's technically not called "government"? It obviously is a (non elected) government. A corporate, ie fascist by definition, government. The fact that people refuse to see it in those terms is amazing to me.
I would probably argue that allowing a tiny handful of platforms to get to this size through anti-competitive behavior was a mistake that has free speech consequences. I'm not fully buying into the facebook and twitter are government argument. They can't throw us in jail or silence us on other platforms. There should and would be more platforms if we didn't let the giants buy up their competition every time.

I'm also not comfortable with major platforms being forced to be unmoderated conduits for any speech. I think certain fringe speech deserves to have a harder time amplifying itself.

can you clarify the "do the things they are doing right now" portion of your question? what are they doing?
Basically banning any user that has a conservative view.

I understand Trump, but some of the other profiles banned had not reason being banned.

Why hasn’t Maxine Waters been banned?

Her rhetoric was A LOT more inflammatory than Trumps

Its definitely not a free speech issue. Just like telling players how to act during the national anthem isn't a free speech issue.

I understand Trump, but some of the other profiles banned had not reason being banned.

From a legal standpoint it doesn't matter what the reason is EXCEPT for race/sex/etc.

It can literally be, "we banned him because we don't like him but didn't ban her because we like her."

Now you might face a consumer backlash - you don't just lose those who feel wronged but also those who demand consistent application or clear "rules". They choose to run their business how they want.

"Banning any user that has a conservative view" is a ridiculous characterization of what is happening. It is obviously and verifiably not true.

The rest of what I was going to say Boner just covered.

MrX
"Banning any user that has a conservative view" is a ridiculous characterization of what is happening. It is obviously and verifiably not true.

The rest of what I was going to say Boner just covered.
But it is true.

Do I need to list who has been banned over the last week that hasn’t said anything inflammatory?

And I’ll say once again, why hasn’t Maxine Waters been banned?

If you guys are going to tell me Twitter hasn’t gone on a major Right purge, you’re either not on Twitter or you refuse to accept it.

It’s not only obvious, it’s scarily brazen

I haven't paid much attention to it.

But I thought it was just a terms of service type thing. Like if SBR John didn't like you talking about about betislands he could have reload zap your SBR Account.

it's not limiting your freedom of speech. You are still able to scream from the rooftops, or go on tv or write an editorial that you hate Betislands and SBR mods.

and you won't be going to jail or facing any fines or penalty, you just aren't welcome to do so at SBR

SBR ain't a right, and neither is twitter. doesn't matter the size

I haven't paid much attention to it.

But I thought it was just a terms of service type thing. Like if SBR John didn't like you talking about about betislands he could have reload zap your SBR Account.

it's not limiting your freedom of speech. You are still able to scream from the rooftops, or go on tv or write an editorial that you hate Betislands and SBR mods.

and you won't be going to jail or facing any fines or penalty, you just aren't welcome to do so at SBR

SBR ain't a right, and neither is twitter. doesn't matter the size
They still owe me $1300 lol

If I were potus right now. I'd just start sending military planes to every major city a few times a day to do 140 character sky writing messages.

But it is true.

Do I need to list who has been banned over the last week that hasn’t said anything inflammatory?
Ugh, Casper, C'mon.

You said they are banning any user with a conservative view. You know damned well I could list hundreds of conservatives with active twitter accounts without even trying. As far as I know, every republican U.S. senator and representative's account is active on twitter. There's an obvious starting point.