When will MLB Opening Day be? Post prediction

• Start date
  • Replies 337 Comments
  • Views 20,213 Views
One player getting infected is a certainty - I don't think it's going to be a big deal.

But one player going to the ICU over it - yeah, that's most likely game over for sports in 2020.

People are gonna have to decide this stupidity and fear is not worth it. That's starting to happen.
I also think there's a fair chance the virus ran it's course naturally, despite the idiotic attempts to isolate. And that would mean, no significant 2nd wave. If they're gonna stop again because 1 player gets infected somewhere, we'll be living like this forever.

It definitely didn't "run it's course naturally". The shutdown helped. It would have spread a lot faster and been a lot more deadly. Shutdowns came too late to defeat the thing, but it certainly slowed it down.

Again, I'm fine with the "at what cost?" argument. But the attempt to isolate wasn't idiotic. And mass re-openings will lead to a massive re-spike in new cases. This isn't behind us just because we are sick of being quarantined.

It feels like everyone is reaching their boiling point and so we'll just give up on these measures. And a bunch more people will die. Maybe that's fine? What a shitty spot.

Countries are going to have to start making some serious ethical decisions on stuff like this. Forever shutdowns aren't sustainable. So what is an acceptable number of preventable deaths in exchange for our freedoms? This might have been a philosophical discussion before but it has to be a real one now with actual policy ramifications.

One player getting infected is a certainty - I don't think it's going to be a big deal.

But one player going to the ICU over it - yeah, that's most likely game over for sports in 2020.

Agree with this. But also wondering if, say, four players on same NBA team test positive. Three starters.

What now? Definitely can't let them stay and play in the bubble. So we just quarantine them all out of a playoff series? Even if they have no symptoms? Pretty wild.

How about you have them sit out, just like you did when you had the flu. Why create a bigger problem than need be?

Tron, your prediction right now looks to be the closest to the start date if all goes as planned!

Boner, I feel light a contestant on the Price Is Right getting squeezed by you! Typically lawyer move!

Matty, only off by say a year! Good job with your positivity!

How about you have them sit out, just like you did when you had the flu. Why create a bigger problem than need be?

Coronavirus is, unequivocally, more dangerous than the flu. It spreads faster and attacks the lungs, which is a pretty big deal in the professional sports realm. To keep the rest of the "bubble" safe, players who test positive would have to be removed from it.

It definitely didn't "run it's course naturally". The shutdown helped. It would have spread a lot faster and been a lot more deadly. Shutdowns came too late to defeat the thing, but it certainly slowed it down.

Again, I'm fine with the "at what cost?" argument. But the attempt to isolate wasn't idiotic. And mass re-openings will lead to a massive re-spike in new cases. This isn't behind us just because we are sick of being quarantined.

It feels like everyone is reaching their boiling point and so we'll just give up on these measures. And a bunch more people will die. Maybe that's fine? What a shitty spot.

Countries are going to have to start making some serious ethical decisions on stuff like this. Forever shutdowns aren't sustainable. So what is an acceptable number of preventable deaths in exchange for our freedoms? This might have been a philosophical discussion before but it has to be a real one now with actual policy ramifications.
It was beyond idiotic IMO. Many negatives, not the least of which is prolonging it indefinitely, as you claim. At least should've left the kids alone, let them develop natural immunity which would end things quicker. They are messing with nature, in an unpredictable way. My hope is that, as some say, the hight in New cases came in March, and the restrictions were too late to make things worse

Tron, your prediction right now looks to be the closest to the start date if all goes as planned!

Boner, I feel light a contestant on the Price Is Right getting squeezed by you! Typically lawyer move!

Hmmmm MrM celebrating before all the cards are dealt... risky move my friend!

It was beyond idiotic IMO. Many negatives, not the least of which is prolonging it indefinitely, as you claim. At least should've left the kids alone, let them develop natural immunity which would end things quicker. They are messing with nature, in an unpredictable way. My hope is that, as some say, the hight in New cases came in March, and the restrictions were too late to make things worse

This isn't chicken pox. Most experts are saying this is going to be a seasonal thing and similar to the flu; catching it once doesn't give you immunity for life as you seem to be alluding to.

And you act like "messing with nature" is a bad thing? Everything we do is messing with nature to preserve lives. Vaccines, medicines, surgeries, hospital visits, etc etc. How is trying to prevent the spread of a deadly disease a bad thing? Again, I'm with you that it was half-baked, but man... acting like the original idea had no effect or justification is insane to me.

:) Davey, only going by reports of late! Wasn't celebrating I think? Davey, might have missed your date of startup?

Agree with this. But also wondering if, say, four players on same NBA team test positive. Three starters.

I say send them all to China to play since they seem to be over the virus! The Chinese love you and the NBA seems to love China, or at least more than the US! Haven't heard from these opinionated guys of late discussing the virus! Of course they can't blame Trump for starting it but they could blame someone else if playing it straight! CRICKETS!
1588191718983.png

1588191785761.png

Hmmmm MrM celebrating before all the cards are dealt... risky move my friend!

Runner runner hearts there is just so sick. I remember that hand now. Matasow’s autobiography is quite good.

This isn't chicken pox. Most experts are saying this is going to be a seasonal thing and similar to the flu; catching it once doesn't give you immunity for life as you seem to be alluding to.

And you act like "messing with nature" is a bad thing? Everything we do is messing with nature to preserve lives. Vaccines, medicines, surgeries, hospital visits, etc etc. How is trying to prevent the spread of a deadly disease a bad thing? Again, I'm with you that it was half-baked, but man... acting like the original idea had no effect or justification is insane to me.
I'm alluding to the idea that viruses stops spreading once enough people get exposed. Correct? If you don't allow the young to catch it naturally, you prolong the total time before virus starts to recede. The longer the virus is actively spreading, the more time you give the vulnerable to catch it. And obviously the more time for all other problems develop.

Runner runner hearts there is just so sick. I remember that hand now. Matasow’s autobiography is quite good.
:laugh: oh really? He's always been my favorite

:) Davey, only going by reports of late! Wasn't celebrating I think? Davey, might have missed your date of startup?

Haha I was just kidding since it sounded like you were rubbing it in on Matty for being wrong 😄

I must've missed something. Nowhere does MLB indicate that they're actually starting. They're merely coming up with new plans as weeks go by.

I'm alluding to the idea that viruses stops spreading once enough people get exposed. Correct? If you don't allow the young to catch it naturally, you prolong the total time before virus starts to recede. The longer the virus is actively spreading, the more time you give the vulnerable to catch it. And obviously the more time for all other problems develop.

I dont believe a virus stops spreading when it is thriving... do you have any evidence to this point? Letting kids get it would just lead to them bringing it home to their parents, then those parents giving it to people at work, their parents, etc etc. I think your idea that the virus lasts longer if it isn't spread is untrue, would love to see sources that claim this, I could be wrong of course.