What would you tell your 20 year old self?

• Start date
  • Replies 183 Comments
  • Views 9,232 Views
I also agree with the larger wants. make more spend more...I see it everyday at work when I do people's finances. people that make $300k have financial problems as does someone who makes $60k. but which problem would you rather have...maybe not be able to buy dinner next week or maybe not be able to upgrade to a BMW

Disagree that money cures the want. Money satisfies the want for a brief period, then the want becomes larger - like building up a tolerance the same way a drug user (or gambler) does.

I started betting $2 at the track years ago. $2 to win does nothing for me. If I make a score of $10k at the track I feel great - I know this because I've made more than a few hits of $10k or more in the last 10 years. But a win only creates desire to win again. Same with money.

Why do billionaires keep investing and wanting more? It's like a disease. Greed is not good, it's sickness. Socially accepted sickness.

let's say that money feeds the want

sounds like the dumbest book I ever heard of....well second behind andy's book on sheep love.

iag, you ask any person in the world who has had money and hasn't had money i'm sure they will tell you they were happier with money.....how much happier depends on the person and levels of money....but money = happiness (or at least greater chance of such)

We are going to have to agree to disagree. Less stressed maybe..happier no...not everyone.

IAG
What's that book.."Do what you love and the money will follow?"

sounds like the dumbest book I ever heard of....well second behind andy's book on sheep love.

Here's an interesting article I recently read on that concept.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...n_omnipresent_mantra_that_s_bad_for_work.html

Do What You Love is a secret handshake of the privileged and a worldview that disguises its elitism as noble self-betterment. According to this way of thinking, labor is not something one does for compensation but is an act of love. If profit doesn’t happen to follow, presumably it is because the worker’s passion and determination were insufficient. Its real achievement is making workers believe their labor serves the self and not the marketplace.

Sometime when I have pictures out. It's not something I'm going to go running to dig out. It was the late 80s..what can I say.

IAG, I don't think they meant that literally.

I read the article and mostly agree with what was written.

MrX

I haven't read it all yet (I can't read more than 5 sentences at one sitting or I start pulling my hair) but I think this is the way I think on a really general scale. I believe people should work hard and earn money. Diff skills pay diff amounts and there should be a balance between hard work and skill set to determine compensation. Get a profitable (rare) skill, work hard at it, earn money....that's the way I think things should be.

I do think there are the lucky few that love what they do. I don't think that should be confused with do what you love. That second phrase is for the rich and retired or astronomically rare. If you are lucky enough to love what you do.....cherish it

IAG, I don't think they meant that literally.

I read the article and mostly agree with what was written.
Literal means figurative now remember? I know they didn't mean literal in the sense of a true "secret handshake" but they said what they meant... and it still seems dramatic.

I don't know. Like I said...I'll read it again. I'm tired. It's been a long day of rehashing regret.

Great thread guys!!
This topic hits home today for a number of reasons.
Here is my Top Ten Things I Would Tell Young Casper.

10. That girl you met on Montell? Run away from her NOW!
9. Mushrooms good....Acid bad.
8. Stay away from the hot girl with the gloves on. She is actually a he.
7. Don't make videos on SBR under any circumstances.
6. Don't get off the bus and get a bag of chips.
5. Don't beg, borrow or steal. Suffer through the lean times like a man.
4. Tell your parents you love them regularly.
3. Don't ever use Skype with a girl you like (but never met)
2. Use sarcasm like conditioner..a little regularly. No need to go heavy.
1. Please Please appreciate Victoria. You dumbass.

20?

Dont change a damn thing. Maybe eat a couple more bags of mushrooms... And you shoulda banged a couple more chicks last year but the one you just met (or are about to meet in a few months) is a keeper.

RJ,
If you don't think that Skype session with CGNJNYSF wasn't a big deal breaker, it was.

Epic fail on so many levels.