• Replies 19 Comments
  • Views 966 Views

roguejuror

rouge
Since
Jan 24, 2010
Score
Tokens
Vinyl LPs are a more important physical format for music than CDs for the first time in more than 30 years, according to the latest revenue figures from the RIAA.

The supremacy of vinyl over CDs is the result of several factors.

While vinyl revenues have increased steadily over the last few years, CD revenues have plummeted.

Labels and artists have capitalized on the resurgence of vinyl to offer deluxe releases – including reissues, remasters and boxed sets.

Vinyl album revenues of $232 million were 62% of total physical revenues, marking the first time vinyl exceeded CDs for such a period since the 1980’s.

There was also significant impact from music retail and venue shutdown measures around Covid-19. Revenues from physical products of $376 million at estimated retail value for first half 2020 were down 23% year-over-year.

It’s also important to note that digital sales and streaming have made physical sales almost a footnote. Digital media now account for about 93% of music revenues.

@Cougar Bait

I bought a “record player” a month ago. For audiophiles, it’s the best. Plus album covers just look so fokken cool.

Which did you get?
I’m in the market for one.

I got a vintage Technics SL-23 a few months ago, refurbished by a local hipster.

According to Joe Rain who is big into this stuff, a refurbished vintage table that one can get for around $100-150 is superior to modern stuff up to the ~$500 level.

IMG_20200911_095607.jpg

Last edited:
BTW some people are claiming that the vinyl revival is already over.

Blitty, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

Some people are super humungo ghey, too

I don't see it either. I think vinyl is here to stay and co-exist with streaming. Pure digital and pure analog. Ebony and ivory.

How vinyl works? What format/codec is "burn" to the vinyl?

Depends on the artist, studio and/or producer. Some artists will insist on an all-analog chain (meaning they record to tape) but a lot of people end up "cheating" and reverting to digital during the recording/mixing/mastering process, in which case they tend to use very high standards like 192khz/24-bit. Not sure of the exact file format, but I would think that uncompressed WAVs are used at some stage.

I bought a “record player” a month ago. For audiophiles, it’s the best. Plus album covers just look so fokken cool.
With all the new modern tech you'd think that sound sytems would be better than they are.

My old Toshiba stereo (and most stereos from the era), with casette player and turntable from 1984 produced better sound than anything ive heard in my lifetime. Analog > digital.

IMO - WAL.

Best sound I remember was from my late 80's Walkman. When cassettes coming back?

With all the new modern tech you'd think that sound sytems would be better than they are.

My old Toshiba stereo (and most stereos from the era), with casette player and turntable from 1984 produced better sound than anything ive heard in my lifetime. Analog > digital.

IMO - WAL.

#facts

Marty I believe I paid in the area of $600 CAD in 1984 for my system. I wish I could remember the exact specs but I cant.

I do remember waiting for my parents to leave the house to go shopping so I could crank records as loud as my system could go in my basement bedroom - Zeppelin, The Who, Rush etc. on vinyl. The house literally shook. It was concert like loud.

I could listen to this tune all fucking day on that Toshiba and my mind would still be blown at how wonderful it was/still is.

Last edited:
That's like the only song of theirs I always liked :clap: Aside from the chorus on Rover

:thinking: probably because it sounds more like Pink Floyd