Tim Lincecum Set For Friday Arbitration

Polaroid

I need a tittle
Since
Jan 21, 2010
Score
Tokens
The clock is ticking and time is running out between the San Francisco Giants and their star pitcher Tim Lincecum's paycheck for the 2010 season. The two times CY Young winner declined the Giants arbitration offer of $8 million after handing in a counter offer of $13 million; with no agreement on a figure, the two sides are set to meet in an arbitration meeting on Friday in St. Petersburg, Florida.

Let's not forget Lincecum has won the CY Young Award in each of his first two full seasons, he first started for the Giants in May 2007 after an injury to starter Russ Ortiz before being shut down for the season in September. He also has 225+ innings and 260+ strikeouts and MVP nominations over his two full seasons, a career ERA under 3 and a win percentage over 70% for a team that struggles each year to hit .500. Even though $8 million would be the highest paid to any first year arbitration eligible player, there is still a large gap between the two parties.

kaknjaacf.jpg

While no-one can question his resume, the Giants certainly have some ammunition in their case. There's always the fine he got following his marijuana bust during a traffic stop after the end of last season; a cheap shot, but surely one that will be brought up all the same. More importantly is Lincecum's numbers; not the ERA, not the Ks, but the velocity. Fangraphs.com list his fastball velocity averaging out at 94.2 in 2007, down to 92.4 in 2009 and bottoming out at around 91 in September 2009. Although he relied less on his fastball in 2009 (56% in 2009 as opposed to 66-67% in the previous two years) both his curveball and slider lost 2.5+ MPH last year. And the Giants more than anyone know about the velocity effect. After signing Barry Zito to a 7 year $126 million deal in 2007, then the richest contract at the time for a pitcher, his velocity drastically dropped to a point where his fastballs could be mistaken for something thrown by Tim Wakefield.

On the flip side, Lincecum is that good. The Giants may be making a mistake letting it go this far. Even if they settled on a mid-point, even if they settled at $11 million, that would give the small market Giants some room to get some offense and not to rely on their star Pablo Sandoval to score the runs this season. They say that good pitching beats good offense, but bad pitching beats no offense.

Nice photo!!! 13 million is my guess. How can he lose, right?

I will be fading Timmy and Grienke their first 3 starts of the season.

I will be fading Timmy and Grienke their first 3 starts of the season.

I think I'll prob be with you on fading Greinke

looks like

Zach will have Detroit, Boston and Detroit his first 3

and Timmy will have Houston, Atlanta, and Pittsburgh

The Giants have offered 3 years $37 million, Lincecum, reportedly, wants over 40.

gotta be the first 2 time cy young to go to arbitration right?

The buzz today is that Major League Baseball is going to present the case on behalf of the Giants and argue not just against Lincecum statistics and achievements but rather the fact that $13 million is too much to pay for a player who is eligible for arbitration for the first time.

Lincy signs for 2 years for $23 million :clueless:

Seems like he could've had more, odd.

Obviously the report of the 3 year $37 million offer was erroneous...

I guess he did fine! If he doesn't get hurt for sure to get more than $14 million in the first year of next contract to put total over 37M. Here's a side question, Ryan Howard after 2011 is a free agent after 3yr/54m contract is up. How much will he command if he continues what he is doing? Don't think my Phils can afford him especially after seeing them give away Cliff Lee?:madd:

I guess he did fine! If he doesn't get hurt for sure to get more than $14 million in the first year of next contract to put total over 37M. Here's a side question, Ryan Howard after 2011 is a free agent after 3yr/54m contract is up. How much will he command if he continues what he is doing? Don't think my Phils can afford him especially after seeing them give away Cliff Lee?:madd:

How exactly did the Phillies give away Cliff Lee? They got Roy Halladay and reportedly locked him up until 2013 at $20 million per season.