There should be a "mercy rule" for this Canada/Russia game

• Start date
  • Replies 34 Comments
  • Views 3,410 Views
The best chance for the US is Joe Thornton, that fuck has never won anything in his life. I think Canada should cut him before the gold medal game.

Joe Thornton:

Major junior

* Named to the OHL All-Rookie Team in 1996.
* Won the Emms Family Award as OHL rookie of the year in 1996.
* Named the CHL Rookie of the Year in 1996.
* Named to the OHL Second All-Star Team in 1997.

NHL

* Played in the NHL All-Star Game in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008 and 2009 (captain).
* Won the Art Ross Trophy in 2006.
* Won the Hart Memorial Trophy in 2006.
* Named to the NHL First All-Star Team in 2006.
* Named to the NHL Second All-Star Team in 2003 and 2008.

SUI

* Won the Spengler Cup with HC Davos in 2004.
* Won the Swiss ice hockey championship with HC Davos in 2005.

International

* Won a World Junior Championships gold medal with Team Canada in 1997.
* Won the World Cup of Hockey with Team Canada in 2004.

Joe Thornton:

Major junior

* Named to the OHL All-Rookie Team in 1996.
* Won the Emms Family Award as OHL rookie of the year in 1996.
* Named the CHL Rookie of the Year in 1996.
* Named to the OHL Second All-Star Team in 1997.

NHL

* Played in the NHL All-Star Game in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008 and 2009 (captain).
* Won the Art Ross Trophy in 2006.
* Won the Hart Memorial Trophy in 2006.
* Named to the NHL First All-Star Team in 2006.
* Named to the NHL Second All-Star Team in 2003 and 2008.

SUI

* Won the Spengler Cup with HC Davos in 2004.
* Won the Swiss ice hockey championship with HC Davos in 2005.

International

* Won a World Junior Championships gold medal with Team Canada in 1997.
* Won the World Cup of Hockey with Team Canada in 2004.

So the guy has not underperformed in the playoffs.

So the guy has not underperformed in the playoffs.
Tully, you guys will need some help, I can sense it. You need a miracle, you need someone to eliminate the Canadians (not likely) and you need to win another game yourselves, I like our chances much better.

Tully, you guys will need some help, I can sense it. You need a miracle, you need someone to eliminate the Canadians (not likely) and you need to win another game yourselves, I like our chances much better.

Plommer, Sweden is fully capable of beating the Canadians. The loss to the US, probably was what the Canadian team needed. but nothing is a given, in single elimination.

Plommer, Sweden is fully capable of beating the Canadians. The loss to the US, probably was what the Canadian team needed. but nothing is a given, in single elimination.
Sweden is capable of beating the Canadians if we play a skill/soft game, getting physical with the Swedes will take their heart out of the game.

I was most impressed with Canada's toughness tonight, it is the key to success. Euro teams have no reply for toughness, they usually retaliate or take cheap shots.

Russia was a great example, Canada outfought them and showed more desire, expect the same vs our next opponent.

Sweden is capable of beating the Canadians if we play a skill/soft game, getting physical with the Swedes will take their heart out of the game.

I was most impressed with Canada's toughness tonight, it is the key to success. Euro teams have no reply for toughness, they usually retaliate or take cheap shots.

Russia was a great example, Canada outfought them and showed more desire, expect the same vs our next opponent.

Plommer you are not going to to out tough the US team, so you guys better come up with a game plan for that game.

I'm comparing our most recent games here.

Sounds like you are saying a 2-0 win over the Swiss is more impressive than a 7-3 drubbing of the Russians.

You guys watch too much Hollywood shit. No way Canada will lose to the Yanks when the chips are down. Canada is peaking at the right time. USA peaked vs Canada in the meaningless game.

A 5-3 drubbing of Canada was almost as bad.

Plommer you remember the 1996 World cup, when you guys lost on home ice to the Americans.

If you don't, no big deal, they are showing the sequel with the same ending this weekend in Vancouver.

A 5-3 drubbing of Canada was almost as bad.

Canada outplayed the US in that game, you guys had the hot goalie.

While I didn't like the loss it will serve as great motivation. Canada has a huge shot at gold.

Plommer you remember the 1996 World cup, when you guys lost on home ice to the Americans.

If you don't, no big deal, they are showing the sequel with the same ending this weekend in Vancouver.

I still like Team Canada's chances, especially if we get another shot at Team USA. You guys should be worried, very worried. The better team will be wearing red and white with a Maple Leaf on the front.

I still like Team Canada's chances, especially if we get another shot at Team USA. You guys should be worried, very worried. The better team will be wearing red and white with a Maple Leaf on the front.

I would be if I actually gave a shit. It'd be nice to win, but none of us are really concerned. If we lose. it's not going to matter one bit in this country. 90% of the people won't even know the game took place. And for the jingoistic among us, I guess they can always point at the overall medal count to get their revenge.

You guys on the other hand are putting so much into this that you really do HAVE to win. That's what I was trying to convey with my "calm down" post. You might not win. It's always a possibility and I don't know why your countrymen invest so much of their national self-worth into the result of a few hockey games.

BTW, pretty classless that Canadian fans booed the US all game against the Swiss. Sorry the US beat you. Really. It was their fault. I don't know what got into them, but hopefully they won't have the nerve to try and do it again.

I mean it's one thing when the Europeans boo us at international events. We know by now that they are a bunch of pussified backstabbers with short memories, who would all be speaking German right now if it weren't for the evil old US of A.

But Canadians? Really. Even you guys can't refrain from this kind of shit? Even Canada, eh.

If there is a mercy rule then they have to give refunds to the fans who payed a ticket to watch the whole game. This is like asking for a movie to end after you watched the first 20 min and you didn't like it. You can leave the theatre but the movie is going to be played in its entirety whether you like it or not.