The Shopping Cart Theory

Tron

Interestingly enough, I was generally an abandoner pre-Covid 19 (the 14 and 15 year olds that Publix hires can only do two tasks, bagging and shopping cart retrieval).

But when C-19 hit I was like “damn these people have to work like crazy during a pandemic I gotta return this fokken cart”.

So now I always return and will continue to do so post C-19. I know the 14-15 year old tasks because I made my oldest son apply for a job at Publix.

Casperwaits

Telenova
I never use carts. I’m a handbasket guy.

Now my father, he takes two 4 mile walks a day. His route brings him by a supermarket in NJ. He takes ALL the stray carts and brings them back to the cart area...and unleashes the quarters that you need to deposit to get a cart. My dad has done this for years now and has amassed hundreds in quarters.

I’m not even kidding.

reno cool

leave well enough alone
I doubt the shopping cart test is a litmus test for anything :hmm:
however, I will say it's interesting that I will consider not putting it away if I'm in a bad mood. If I see a gathering of carts in the improper place, I might add mine, if the designated spot is far away or there's obstacles/ traffic in the way.

Archie

SP Nation and I Ruin things
I always put it back, and I'll take any other scragglers I see nearby as well. I've had at least 3 stray shopping carts get blown by wind into my doors while I was inside shopping. And nothing is more annoying than starting to pull into an empty spot and there is a shopping cart left there or blown by the wind there.

but it gives me way too big of a boost to my self esteem and super ego, every time I do it. It's way out of sync with the actual action.

Like you'd think in my brain, I just rescued a baby and a dog from a burning house. I kind of expect people getting into and out of their cars to stop and applaud me.

Matty

Trinket Shipper
^ I get the same Jesus-like feeling of grandeur when I pick up a trash can that's been blown onto the road.