The Polaroid Random Thoughts Baseball Thread

• Start date
  • Replies 2,775 Comments
  • Views 213,625 Views
MonkeyFocker as well was gonna do an analysis of the math behind what Pavy did and while he hasn't honored that it's less important because he wasn't gonna dumb it down and only Durito, Enigma, Muddy, you and maybe Matty would have known if he was accurate or not.

Don't forget choo!

Polaroid's post count may triple in this thread :clap:

Great thread!

Should the Brewers make a run at Jose Reyes for a end of the season rental? Yuniesky Betancourt is worse than replacement level. Not sure if the Brewers have some prospects the Mets would want but you would think with Fielder walking, and Pujols hurt, this is their best shot at winning the division. I think they should go for it.

That was kind of my point since the Red Sox offered the same deal as the Yankees (although I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did it to make the Yankees overpay for him).

you were saying to add rivera. I'm explaining why I didn't add rivera

with everyday players, they're not taking less than market value either. Market value is what they'd get on the open market. If the supply of them is too high, then their market value is inherently low.

And also they have a $56m payroll this year and a hypothetical situation of getting 1 year of Pujols is going to cost around $30m. Is the new stadium going to generate enough revenue to justify the signing? If not, won't the fans be a little annoyed that all they get is one year of Pujols followed by a lack of spending and mediocrity?

You're giving Jeffrey Loria too much credit.

He'd absolutely sign Albert to a 1yr/$30 million deal for the WOW factor only to not re-sign him the following year.

With that said, I expect FLA's payroll to be in the 80-90 million range after the new ballpark opens.

Loris needs to lock Stanton in while he can still afford him.

Polaroid you got any good recommendations for baseball books?

You've been around SBR and gamelive for years and you need to ask this question?

Come the fok on, man.

Thoughts on Ricky Romero calling out his offense? Basically called out all hitters sans Bautista and Lind.

You've been around SBR and gamelive for years and you need to ask this question?

Come the fok on, man.
this

2q00fsy.jpg

not

ExternalLogo.gif

I think he means reading book plom.

You're giving Jeffrey Loria too much credit.

He'd absolutely sign Albert to a 1yr/$30 million deal for the WOW factor only to not re-sign him the following year.

With that said, I expect FLA's payroll to be in the 80-90 million range after the new ballpark opens.

Loris needs to lock Stanton in while he can still afford him.

Where was Miami on the list of sports towns that ESPN released? I think Toronto was 2nd last and I feel that is pretty accurate. I know Miami has a reputation of also being a shitty sports town.

Great thread!

Should the Brewers make a run at Jose Reyes for a end of the season rental? Yuniesky Betancourt is worse than replacement level. Not sure if the Brewers have some prospects the Mets would want but you would think with Fielder walking, and Pujols hurt, this is their best shot at winning the division. I think they should go for it.

Every team should make a run at Reyes, he won't be as good as he is now for the rest of the season but he'll be an upgrade to just about any team. Yuniesky Betancourt hasn't even had a season where he has even being league average, how he still gets playing time is astounding. If he was a horse, he would have been shot in 2009. As to the Brewers getting Reyes, the Mets are 5 games back from the wild card and trading Reyes would be throwing in the towel for the year which is never a good move when you're a high spending club especially when the return for a half season rental of a player really isn't all that much.

If they have $30 million in new payroll with the new stadium then going for Pujols for a year is a no brainer.

plom you need to re-evaluate things if you thought herman was asking for places to bet

Moneyball by Michael Lewis is well worth a read, The Book by Tom Tango is a very good sabermetric book.

At the end of the day, players go where the money is. They can't play baseball in their 50's and 60's so they need to make money now so they can provide for themelves and their families.

Of course hometown discounts exist but I suspect those deals happen as to not disrupt family life.

Bad teams have to overpay (if they choose) to get talent. The Cubs situation is not attractive to top-tier FA's. All the long-term contracts were under the Tribune/Sam Zell ownership in hopes of selling the team for more. The new ownership will not spend on players when they will have to put millions into the park. Lets just say they sign Fielder or Pujols - who protects them in the lineup, Soriano? Please. A Ramirez will not be back, so you now need a 3rd and 1st baseman. Cubs are desperate to deal Dempster, Zambrano too, but will not pay for them to leave. They have nothing in the minors, TB got them all for Garza.