The Polaroid Random Thoughts Baseball Thread

• Start date
  • Replies 2,815 Comments
  • Views 218,718 Views
jeez, that isn't close to a strike.

good thing the rockies are out of town, it's 14 with a foot of snow here. 72 degrees opening day last friday.

Loving my TOR U86.5 futures wager.

Break up the Astros

:rideem:

Loving my TOR U86.5 futures wager.

I hope you have at least $5k on it.

Daffy you're talking thousands and not hunnerds, right?

looks like the Red Sox might have traded for another bum closer

LOL @ Hanrahan

"The winter of 2013"

"What is Rick Sutcliffe's jowels grew quite impressively for $800, Alex?"

Craig Kimbrel. Phenomenal. They said last season was one for the ages and this year the guy is still untouchable so far. Last year batters hit .126 against him last year( lowest in history), .65 whip ( third lowest of all time behind Eckersley), he had a 1.01 ERA, set a season record for strikeout rate (50.2 percent of total batters faced) basically struck out half the batters he faced last year.

. This year in 6 innings he has given up one hit struck out six, .50 whip .000 era (no runs yet) 6 saves in 56 games. I loathe bullpens and it is still a long ways away to start comparing him with Rivera, Hoffmann, Eckersley,etc but last year was probably one of the greatest ever stat wise for a closer. Braves are just fucking solid everywhere.

Craig-Kimbrel-winding-up.jpg

Read this the other day, worst closer season of all time

Brad Lidge

1. Brad Lidge, 2009 (PHI): 31 SV/7.21 ERA/1.821 WHIP http://subjectivebaseball.blogspot.com/2010/12/ten-worst-closer-seasons.html

"My God, what happened? In 2008 Lidge was one of the best closers in baseball, posting a 1.95 ERA with an ERA+ of 226 and an OPS+ of 52. In 2009, those last two numbers just about switched places. Even I--a Mets fan, remember--felt bad for Lidge in 2009. It was like watching a six-month car crash. Lidge's ERA+ was 59, the lowest ever among all closers. His OPS+ was 143, the second-worst single season mark of all time for closers. I don't put much stock in the "save" statistic, except to distinguish a team's closer, but Lidge's eleven blown saves is fairly impressive. Making matters worse was that, while Lidge issued a normal number of walks (34), his strikeout numbers were way down (9.4 K/9, compared with his career mark of 12.0).

I could keep ranting about all the disgusting numbers Lidge posted in 2009, but I'll just recommend that you visit his Baseball-Reference page if you want more. If you don't, just take my word for it: Lidge's 2009 was the worst closer season of all-time."

Great catch by Ben Revere last night! Unfortunately team has to hit some too to win! :yup:

1008109.jpg

MIA on pace to score 286 runs this year.

No team has ever scored less than 360.

:pepe:

Phillies haven't scored a single run during the 1st 5 innings in over a week!

The Cubs just always kinda suck, don't they?

Yeah they do.

So I have been making an extra effort to be a fan this year, paying attention to the Blue Jays. Not that I'm ever going to sit down and watch a whole game but I will watch the 8th/9th sometimes, or make a point of listening on the radio when I'm in my car.

Two observations:

1) The Blue Jays are sucking. Not an enjoyable team to follow so far.

2) They now have Jack Morris on the radio broadcast. He is exactly what I would have guessed he would be, exactly as he came across as a player. Thick, self-absorbed, completely unsophisticated. My guess would have been, I bet he is one of these guys who goes through life making really obvious, minimally-funny jokes and then laughing too hard at himself. That guess would have been correct.

Two Jack Morris moments from a 15 minute car ride just now.

The Blue Jays need to put their shoulders to the grindstone.

And after some discussion of a game some years back where the Blue Jays hit a bunch of home runs, Morris' comment: I wasn't pitching for any of them HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I can't imagine Jack Morris working as an announcer.

He must be doing the announcer bit to remain in the HOF voters minds, like Rizzuto, Blyleven, and Santo. Once he gets in, Jack will return to being a miserable prick.

I guess. He's not actually terrible. I'm sure he's been coached to take off some of the rough edges. He's just nothing. He's this obvious, uninspired, thick presence.