The Polaroid Random Thoughts Baseball Thread

• Start date
  • Replies 2,815 Comments
  • Views 218,741 Views
Marlins out hitting Mets 11-4 and only up 1 run. I normally don't watch when I wager on a bad team but the last 4 innings is gonna suck.

Fernandez was filthy. Had Ike Davis and David Wright shaking their heads.

Jeff Samardzija has some great stuff

Marlins out hitting Mets 11-4 and only up 1 run. I normally don't watch when I wager on a bad team but the last 4 innings is gonna suck.

Fernandez was filthy. Had Ike Davis and David Wright shaking their heads.

manager cost them the game. Pierre has the worst arm in the league and should never be playing defense protecting a lead. Of course the ball found him.

You mean on the last play of the game?

I'm so fucking on tilt after that game.

You mean on the last play of the game?

I'm so fucking on tilt after that game.

The batter before that. Runner on 1st, single to Pierre who threw to 3rd, batter ran to 2nd. In Chicago I couldn't believe how everyone ran on him.

IMO, the Marlins lost the game because they out hit the Mets 13-6 and only scored 3 runs.

IMO, the Marlins lost the game because they out hit the Mets 13-6 and only scored 3 runs.

true but pierre is not a guy you have in the field protecting a lead.

first marlins home game, let's see attendance :sup:

Daft gonna be at the home opener?

Daft gonna be at the home opener?

Not going. First Opening Day I won't be at since 1998.

It will be close to a sell out tonight but only because of all the buy one get one free nonsense they're pulling.

Anyone who goes tonight should never complain about how this franchise is run.

Not going. First Opening Day I won't be at since 1998.

It will be close to a sell out tonight but only because of all the buy one get one free nonsense they're pulling.

Anyone who goes tonight should never complain about how this franchise is run.

I know what you mean but i'm sure there is a pretty high percentage that will not go until the ownership changes, it gives others who would be priced-out a chance. Same thing happened with the Raiders and Blackhawks. If i'm them, i run those promotions all season and hope you make money off the concessions and parking (cheaper seats only). If fans see some improvement throughout the year, they may go back more in the future.

what a write up for opening day .

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/braves-marlins-preview-222057857--mlb.html

The Miami Marlins generated baseball's biggest buzz as they prepared for their home opener a year ago, anticipating a playoff bid and nearly nightly sellout crowds in a futuristic new home that was supposed to transform a franchise long accustomed to attracting little attention.

As the Marlins begin year two in their ballpark, they're back to operating in obscurity. Given the dismal outlook this season, that may be just as well.

Thousands of empty seats are likely for the home opener against the Atlanta Braves on Monday night, with a succession of small crowds to follow. Many potential ticket buyers are disenchanted because owner Jeffrey Loria reverted to his frugal payrolls of the past, and the team is widely projected to finish last in NL East for the third year in a row.

Kevin Slowey (0-1, 1.69 ERA) is scheduled to start the first home game for Miami against Paul Maholm (1-0, 0.00). If fans are on the edge of their seats, it may be only because they're awaiting a chance to boo Loria, who ordered a roster dismantling when last season went sour.

''I appreciate and am sorry it has been such a tough offseason,'' team president David Samson said Sunday before the Marlins' game against the Mets in New York. ''The people who are coming to the game (Monday) hopefully are there to cheer on the players who deserve to get cheered.''

Loria decided the Marlins needed to reboot after losing 93 games last year, and slugger Giancarlo Stanton will be the lone holdover in the lineup from the home opener in 2012.
That night, Miami christened its long-sought ballpark in the major-league opener on national TV against the defending World Series champion St. Louis Cardinals. Starters were introduced accompanied by women dressed as Latin showgirls, and Muhammad Ali delivered the first pitch.

''It was awesome,'' reliever Steve Cishek recalled. ''Seeing Muhammad Ali out there, it was crazy.''
Then Kyle Lohse held Miami hitless until the seventh inning, the Marlins lost, and little went right the rest of the year.
''Last season ... there's not much more negative we can get than that,'' Stanton said.

But negativity lingers, and many former Marlins supporters pledge to stay away. The team was disappointed to sell only 12,000 season tickets a year ago, and this year sales have declined to about 5,000.

Interest in the home opener was so tepid that a discount coupon company offered reduced-price tickets. The club's slow start this week on the road didn't help - Miami (1-5) totaled one run in the first three games and was the last major-league team to win a game.
Samson said well over 30,000 are expected for the opener. But a sellout is unlikely, and while Samson expects season attendance to surpass the modest goal of 1 million, he conceded it will likely be lower than in 2012.

''We didn't start from such a high number to start with last year,'' he said, ''but I think it'll go down.''

While the Marlins might finish last in the NL in attendance for the eighth time in nine years, Stanton said the team can't do anything about discontented fans.

''They're not angry with the players,'' he said. ''We didn't lose them, we can't gain them back from one thing. ... We've just got to play good.''

Jeffrey Loria

r-JEFFREY-LORIA-DAVID-SAMSON-MARLINS-CON-large570.jpg

The last AB of the TEX/TB game is must see TV

The last AB of the TEX/TB game is must see TV

Indeed! Last pitch strike call could be worst I've ever seen! Don't know how Joe Madden kept his cool!

8632771029_037cfd4de4_o.gif

Madden said it as best as anyone could of!

Joe Maddon ✔ @RaysJoeMaddon

That can't happen in a major league game.
3:39 AM - 09 Apr 13

For his part, Foster should be credited for accountability.

"I saw the pitch and, of course, don't have the chance to do it again," Foster told a pool reporter (via Foul Territory blog). "But had I had a chance to do it again, I wouldn't call that pitch a strike."

Accountability? Guy should be sent to AAA for a period of time! That's accountability! Umps have too strong of union and IMO should be discipline to a higher degree!

34,439 showed up at Marlins Park

They're expected to sell fewer than 15K tickets for tonight

34,439 showed up at Marlins Park

They're expected to sell fewer than 15K tickets for tonight