The Jeopardy contestant search exam

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
I figure we must have a few trivia heads at gamelive who might like to have a look at this. This is the exam from yesterday. They are doing more exams for different time zones the next couple days and presumably the questions will be different.

During the exam you have 15 seconds to read and type out your answer for each question. (They don't need to be in the form of a question). You need 35 out of 50 to qualify.

I'll post the questions and then the answers.

1. WORLD AUTHORS
Works by this Algerian-born Nobel Prize winner include "The Fall", "The Rebel" & "The Stranger"

2. SCI FI MOVIES
The 2009 film "District 9" dealt with the plight of extraterrestrial refugees in this country

3. HOW'S THE WEATHER?
Condition characterized by winds above 32 MPH & heavy snow

4. STRAIT AHEAD
20 miles long & 2-10 miles wide, the Strait of this separates Italy from Sicily

5. IT WAS ALL YELLOW
This flower of genus Taraxacum has leaves that are used in salads & roots that are made into a coffee-like drink

6. LATIN AMERICAN HISTORY
In 1821 Panama broke away from Spain & became a province of this South American country

7. MEMOIRS
"Decision Points" is a 2010 nonfiction bestseller by this famous American

8. GAMES
One of the world's oldest games, it's also known as draughts

9. CLASSICAL CLASSICS
This impressionist composer changed modern music with works like "La Mer" & "Claire de Lune"

10. RELIGION
You'll find this Iranian religion named for its founder in the last few pages of your dictionary

11. WORD UP
Appropriately, this word comes from Greek words meaning "sharp" & "dull"

12. CANADIAN GEOGRAPHY
Regina is the capital of this province

13. MUSICIANS' NICKNAMES
Better known nickname of jazz bandleader Ferdinand Joseph Morton

14. MODERN NOVELISTS
He's the creator of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

15. BRITISH ROYALTY
Born in Hanover, the first king of this name was also the first king from the House of Hanover

16. THE NOBEL PRIZES
It's the newest of the 6 Nobel Prize categories, having been first awarded in 1969

17. SAINTS
First & last name of the philosopher who wrote "Summa Theologica"--it helps if you know he was born near Aquino

18. POLITICS
On Jan. 5, 2011 Nancy Pelosi relinquished this symbolic object to John Boehner

19. BEASTLY EXPRESSIONS
In other words, "a deluge of tabbies & borzois"

20. LITERARY TERMS
It's the term for a stanza or poem containing 4 lines

21. CONQUERORS
This Mongol conqueror born in 1162 was said to be descended from a gray wolf

22. FOREIGN FOOD TERMS
If you're being served pommes frites in Paris, you're about to enjoy this alliterative food

23. TRAGEDIANS
The big 3 founders of ancient Greek tragedy are Aeschylus, Euripides & him

24. COMPUTER TERMINOLOGY
A D-O-S attack, short for denial of this, floods a network with requests, denying access to others

25. THE BRITISH ISLES
In the 11th c. Lady Godiva famously rode naked through this central English city

26. SO VERY ANIMATED
Nancy Cartwright is over 40 years older than this animated boy that she voices

27. POETS
This author created the Ancient Mariner

28. THE FINAL FRONTIER
This 12-ton object rode inside the space shuttle Discovery until released April 24, 1990

29. FAST FOOD
The name of this restaurant means "crazy chicken" in Spanish

30. ERAS
The Luddites were fighting against this "Revolution" that began about 1760 in England

31. THE NEW TESTAMENT
In a parable, this son is the young man who wastes his fortune but comes home & repents

32. LEGENDARY RHYME TIME
Bunyan's Southern accents

33. AMERICANA
The Statue of Liberty contains a poem by this woman

34. LORD OF THE DANCE
He choreographed the films "Sweet Charity", "Cabaret" & of course "All That Jazz"

35. 20TH CENTURY NOVELS
Stephen Dedalus & Leopold & Molly Bloom are the main characters of this James Joyce work

36. EYE ON ASIA
This kingdom of Asia borders Laos, Burma & Cambodia

37. THE OLYMPICS
Before the first Winter Games in 1924, this sport was played in the Summer Games; Canada won gold in 1920

38. AWARDS
The Order of Leopold is the oldest & highest honor given by this country

39. IT'S AN ANIMAL, SUCKER
Gastropods like snails, bivalves like clams & cephalopods like squid are all part of this phylum

40. ANCIENT PLACES
Kathleen Kenyon excavated this town, trying to find out when the Israelites destroyed its walls

41. THAT'S SO CLICHE
To depart in defeat is to leave "with your tail" here

42. U.S. LAKES & RIVERS
The Willamette River of Oregon flows northward for about 190 miles before emptying into this river

43. AD MEN
Baltimore's Ray Lewis appears atop a giant raven in humorous ads for this cologne

44. U.S. HISTORY
In the 1830s, the Creek, Chickasaw, Seminole, Choctaw & Cherokee Indians were forcibly moved to this future state

45. ANIMALS IN LITERATURE
Hazel & Fiver are 2 of the fluffy rabbits in this 1972 Richard Adams novel

46. ART ATTACK
Created by Braque & Picasso, this influential art movement of the early 20th century had an Analytic & a Synthetic period

47. CHEMISTRY
For the effect it produces, nitrous oxide is also called this

48. ACTRESSES
She's the only Swedish-born actress to win 3 Oscars

49. FEMALE AUTHORS
"A Room of One's Own" is a feminist classic from this Brit

50. "M" WORDS
Meaning to put someone into a trance, it comes from the name of an 18th century physician

Okay and here are the answers:

1. WORLD AUTHORS
Albert Camus

2. SCI FI MOVIES
South Africa

3. HOW'S THE WEATHER?
blizzard? (Wikipedia and the National Weather Service say it's 35 mph)

4. STRAIT AHEAD
Messina

5. IT WAS ALL YELLOW
dandelion

6. LATIN AMERICAN HISTORY
Colombia

7. MEMOIRS
George W. Bush

8. GAMES
checkers

9. CLASSICAL CLASSICS
Claude Debussy

10. RELIGION
Zoroastrianism

11. WORD UP
oxymoron

12. CANADIAN GEOGRAPHY
Saskatchewan

13. MUSICIANS' NICKNAMES
Jelly Roll

14. MODERN NOVELISTS
Alexander McCall Smith

15. BRITISH ROYALTY
George

16. THE NOBEL PRIZES
Economic Sciences/Economics

17. SAINTS
Thomas Aquinas

18. POLITICS
gavel

19. BEASTLY EXPRESSIONS
raining cats and dogs

20. LITERARY TERMS
quatrain

21. CONQUERORS
Genghis Khan

22. FOREIGN FOOD TERMS
French fries

23. TRAGEDIANS
Sophocles

24. COMPUTER TERMINOLOGY
service

25. THE BRITISH ISLES
Coventry

26. SO VERY ANIMATED
Bart Simpson

27. POETS
Samuel Taylor Coleridge

28. THE FINAL FRONTIER
Hubble Space Telescope

29. FAST FOOD
El Pollo Loco

30. ERAS
Industrial

31. THE NEW TESTAMENT
prodigal son

32. LEGENDARY RHYME TIME
Paul's drawls

33. AMERICANA
Emma Lazarus

34. LORD OF THE DANCE
Bob Fosse

35. 20TH CENTURY NOVELS
Ulysses

36. EYE ON ASIA
Thailand

37. THE OLYMPICS
ice hockey

38. AWARDS
Belgium

39. IT'S AN ANIMAL, SUCKER
mollusks/Mollusca

40. ANCIENT PLACES
Jericho

41. THAT'S SO CLICHE
between your legs

42. U.S. LAKES & RIVERS
Columbia

43. AD MEN
Old Spice

44. U.S. HISTORY
Oklahoma

45. ANIMALS IN LITERATURE
Watership Down

46. ART ATTACK
cubism

47. CHEMISTRY
laughing gas

48. ACTRESSES
Ingrid Bergman

49. FEMALE AUTHORS
Virginia Woolf

50. "M" WORDS
mesmerize

I got 16 right and number 43 was worded wrong. Jepordy needs to change it. He was hawking deodorant and not the Old Spice cologne.

Camus wrote "The Rebel"?!? Really?!? lololol, anglo-centrism

Will take it tomorrow but I have no shot.

Matty, I took it a couple of years ago online and felt like a moron afterwords. The questions on TV are easier than the online ones.

I just scanned the list quickly and was able to insta-guess about 10-12 of them. #1 pisses me off, especially since they used the original French titles for Debussy at #9. "The Rebel" is "L'homme rvolt" you foks.

I figger I got 36.

The Ray Lewis question was an emotional roller coaster for me. I saw Ray Lewis and figured YAY! - I had one in my wheelhouse. But then OH NO! - I had no idea about the commercial. So I took a wild guess at the last second. Turns out I guessed right.

Weeeeeeeeeeee

Question 14 teaches us an interesting lesson - a lesson I really should have known already

14. MODERN NOVELISTS

Alexander McCall Smith

I had no idea and I ended up leaving it blank. But I was reading on the Jeopardy forum how some other people who had no idea just typed in Smith as a wild guess. Bingo.

If I had've been thinking and had to pick any name out of mid-air, I probably would have said Smith. But I didn't.

Never hurts to guess.

Question 14 teaches us an interesting lesson - a lesson I really should have known already

14. MODERN NOVELISTS

Alexander McCall Smith

I had no idea and I ended up leaving it blank. But I was reading on the Jeopardy forum how some other people who had no idea just typed in Smith as a wild guess. Bingo.

If I had've been thinking and had to pick any name out of mid-air, I probably would have said Smith. But I didn't.

Never hurts to guess.

That is some ninja online-test shit right there.

Mind you I'm not positive they will get credit for just Smith. Although the general rule is that last names are sufficient, sometimes they insist on more details.

Like for question 7, you probably wouldn't get credit for just putting Bush. You would have to be more specific because there are multiple Bushes who are reasonable candidates.

Smith - maybe/maybe not.

I remember seeing people answer with just the last name on the TV show and they allowed it and I thought that was bullshit. The contestants obviously do that when they're unsure of the answer.

S'good to know though.

Yeah that's what I would do if I was on the show. Last names only. They will tell you if they need more info.

I have seen people screw themselves by voluntarily guessing a full name and getting the first name wrong when, if they had've just said the last name, they would have been fine.

I looked at like 10 and I only knew the Ray Lewis one, which doesn't require much in terms of knowledge, just that you sometimes watch TV.

actually, I also knew the 'tail between your legs' one.

Will take it tomorrow but I have no shot.

What's going on with that? Yesterday you said tomorrow (which is today) and now you're saying tomorrow again. I thought the different days tests were for different specific time zones. Do you exist in many time zones at once? Are you just leaping from one passing iceberg to the next?

Can't tonight, forgot about that big annual corporate party tonight. I'm dressing up as an aristocrat again.

The timezone thing is just a suggestion from them, you can take it any day you want. I think.