The Jeopardy contestant search exam

Dude stomped all over the opposition yesterday and surpassed the 100K mark.

Handsome bastard.

kunzen_tom.jpg

Muddy what would your occupation be during the intro and what would your story be about?

I guess you could be an addictions expert or something, or pro gambla

When I qualified in Toronto ~1998 I said I was a Warehouseman which was true at the time. In the interview I tried to push the idea that I wanted to represent the blue collar crowd - whom you don't see on the show much.

When I went for the trial in L.A. in 2005, I called myself a sports writer. Since I was doing some work for SBR at the time, it wasn't a total lie. It would have been more accurate to say I was a pro bettor but I decided not to. It was just a judgment call. I don't know that just saying pro gambler would be such a bad thing. It might even work in a person's favor. Seems like Alex is always trying to encourage people to be bigger gamblers. The show must like it. But I just wasn't sure.

I don't know what I would do in the future. Probably just be honest.

omgomgomgomgomg

Check out this email I just received:

Congratulations! You have been selected for a follow-up appointment at an upcoming Jeopardy! contestant search for the Boston area, exclusively for those who successfully passed the online test. This is the next step in becoming a Jeopardy! contestant. We have reserved the following appointment for you:

When: Wednesday, May 4th Time: 3:00 pm

Where: Boston, MA

You must RSVP within two business days of receipt of this email to secure your place in the audition. When you RSVP via email, please provide the following:

1) Date and time of your invite

2) Your name

3) Your City & State

4) Your Phone Number

Due to overwhelming demand we can only hold your spot for two business days. If you respond after that period of time, and if we still have space, we will be happy to provide you with an appointment.

Your appointment is non-transferable, and only those who receive this invitation directly from Jeopardy! may RSVP to book an appointment. Each RSVP will be matched against an invite list and forwarded invitations will not be honored.

The auditions will last about 2 2 1/2 hours.

Once you RSVP, we will email you a letter of confirmation within ten business days that will give you the exact location and other information regarding trying out. Should you have a major conflict with the time and date provided, you may respond to this email to explain the nature of the situation. Again, please provide your name, city and phone number.

Appointments are very limited, so please be sure you can join us before you RSVP.

If you are physically challenged in any way, please contact Corina Nusu at 310-244-5581 prior to the audition to discuss any accommodations you may require.

We hope to hear from you soon!

Best Regards,

The Jeopardy! Contestant Department

DOOD! Fok a bunch of getting a job, you must do this!

Then I got a follow-up email with a correction as to the date and time. It's actually May 5th. Anyhoo, it's all good.

I don't know what exactly is involved. I'll have to browse the Jeopardy forum for details. I don't know if there is another exam or mock games or just interviewing or what.

I need to come up with some kind of snappy little story about myself for the interview part. Like when they interview people at the start of the second segment of the show, they like to have a tidy hopefully humorous little story. I need to come up with a handful of those.

Maybe they'll let you read some of your poetry?!?

:weeeeeeeeeeeeeee:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeopardy!_audition_process

In-person audition process (regular play games)

Tryouts for regular play games are administered to groups of 18 to 21 people at scheduled dates and times. Upon arriving, contestant applicants are asked to fill out information sheets with their contact information, eligibility information, and availability, and are asked to provide five anecdotes that may be used during the contestant interview portion of the show (a form is emailed in advance).

The first phase of the group audition process is divided into three parts.

1. A contestant coordinator gives an introductory talk reviewing the rules and particularities of the game and providing some guidelines regarding energy, volume, and timing for the applicants. Some sample clues are read aloud (and displayed on a monitor or projection screen) and applicants are called upon to raise their hands and give out the responses.
2. Fifty Jeopardy!-style clues in fifty different categories are displayed on the screen at the front of the room and read aloud in a recording by a Clue Crew member (previously, Johnny Gilbert, the show's announcer, did the voice-over on this). A potential contestant has eight seconds to write down his or her response (no need to phrase in the form of a question here) before the next clue is read.
3. The contestant coordinators take the completed response sheets and grade them. Though some sources state that a score of 35 (70%) is passing, the contestant coordinators refuse to confirm or deny any passing score number. Exact scores are not disclosed.

This is followed by a mock Jeopardy! competition. A game board is presented, and potential contestants are placed in groups of three to play the game. The emphasis is not on scoring points, or even having correct answers; the contestant coordinators know that they possess the knowledge to compete on the show, as they have already passed the test, and are looking for on-the-air-compatible qualities. Auditionees are encouraged to display energy and use a loud, confident voice.[1][4] After playing a few clues, the contestant coordinators give each potential contestant a few minutes to talk about themselves. The coordinators request that they finish by telling what they would do with any money they won on Jeopardy![4]

After the end of the tryout, all auditionees who have taken the online test and the in-person test are placed into the "contestant pool" and are eligible to be called to compete for the next eighteen months. The show uses 400 contestants per season, and it is emphasized at the audition that test scores are the most important factor in determining who out of the thousands of applicants will be selected.[5]

All Jeopardy TV contestants have that same wholesome, middle-class-pawn-from-a-good-family aura about them. It's kinda weird.

Needs more fok-ups and prima donas and people talking with a horrible lisp.

I need to come up with some kind of snappy little story about myself for the interview part. Like when they interview people at the start of the second segment of the show, they like to have a tidy hopefully humorous little story. I need to come up with a handful of those.

Make sure you include stories about shanty, steve174, and papageorge. The general public loves that sort of stuff!

Congrats Muddy!! That is super awesome! :clap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeopardy!_audition_process

In-person audition process (regular play games)

Tryouts for regular play games are administered to groups of 18 to 21 people at scheduled dates and times. Upon arriving, contestant applicants are asked to fill out information sheets with their contact information, eligibility information, and availability, and are asked to provide five anecdotes that may be used during the contestant interview portion of the show (a form is emailed in advance).

The first phase of the group audition process is divided into three parts.

1. A contestant coordinator gives an introductory talk reviewing the rules and particularities of the game and providing some guidelines regarding energy, volume, and timing for the applicants. Some sample clues are read aloud (and displayed on a monitor or projection screen) and applicants are called upon to raise their hands and give out the responses.
2. Fifty Jeopardy!-style clues in fifty different categories are displayed on the screen at the front of the room and read aloud in a recording by a Clue Crew member (previously, Johnny Gilbert, the show's announcer, did the voice-over on this). A potential contestant has eight seconds to write down his or her response (no need to phrase in the form of a question here) before the next clue is read.
3. The contestant coordinators take the completed response sheets and grade them. Though some sources state that a score of 35 (70%) is passing, the contestant coordinators refuse to confirm or deny any passing score number. Exact scores are not disclosed.

This is followed by a mock Jeopardy! competition. A game board is presented, and potential contestants are placed in groups of three to play the game. The emphasis is not on scoring points, or even having correct answers; the contestant coordinators know that they possess the knowledge to compete on the show, as they have already passed the test, and are looking for on-the-air-compatible qualities. Auditionees are encouraged to display energy and use a loud, confident voice.[1][4] After playing a few clues, the contestant coordinators give each potential contestant a few minutes to talk about themselves. The coordinators request that they finish by telling what they would do with any money they won on Jeopardy![4]

After the end of the tryout, all auditionees who have taken the online test and the in-person test are placed into the "contestant pool" and are eligible to be called to compete for the next eighteen months. The show uses 400 contestants per season, and it is emphasized at the audition that test scores are the most important factor in determining who out of the thousands of applicants will be selected.[5]

Okay well I have been through that twice. That is exactly what they used to do before there was an online test. Every little detail is the same.

So I need to study up on everything for another exam, and prepare some interview anecdotes, and get chicky-poo to figure out what I am going to wear.

I hate how they push you to be energetic and bubbly. Lots of people on the actual show don't seem all that goofy - but they really push that during these auditions.

In terms of occupation, I am thinking I will list myself as a warehouseman and run with the angle that I hope to be a rare representative of the blue collar crowd. Maybe that will strike a chord.

Does that seem like a reasonable way to go?

I would probably tell the truth, whatever the truth is.

I heard the funniest one this week, someone was announced as a "Crossing guard"

I guess she helped the elementary kids cross the street

Herman calm down, soon yer gonna be helping Mexican kids cross the border.

There are so many things I could say that wouldn't be lying. I just want to pick the best one. I'm not sure about saying I am a gambler. Might seem too weird. To say arbitrageur would invite too many awkward-to-answer follow-up questions.

I could try to frame some angle of the volunteer work I do.

My last regular job was as a Warehouse Coordinator and I have been applying for some warehouse jobs so it is true to say I am an unemployed Warehouseman.

I have also done every kind of office job in the past.

I am an unemployed everything.

Herman calm down, soon yer gonna be helping Mexican kids cross the border.

I have no intentions of helping anyone cross the border.........wtf?