The Astronomy Thread

• Start date
  • Replies 242 Comments
  • Views 17,488 Views
Discoverer(?) of animal magnetism, aka mesmerism.

Just imagine the scene with this guy:

With individuals he would sit in front of his patient with his knees touching the patient's knees, pressing the patient's thumbs in his hands, looking fixedly into the patient's eyes... He then pressed his fingers on the patient's hypochondrium region (the area below the diaphragm), sometimes holding his hands there for hours.

FranzMesmer.jpg

I think I'd say I was cured after one treatment, too. "I'm good, Mr. Mesmer. Nope, no need for a second appointment."

Bad got worse.

And a fuck you for those it can be easily applied too...

You know who you are.

There are some new hi resolution photos of Plutos surface. I don't have them at my fingertips but just imagine pictures of ice and rocks.

:handshake:

Textured ice and rocks.

A billion years is a long time.

Like, a hella long time.

Green flashes and green rays are optical phenomena that sometimes occur right after sunset or right before sunrise. When the conditions are right, a green spot is visible above the upper rim of the disk of the sun. The green appearance usually lasts for no more than a second or two. Rarely, the green flash can resemble a green ray shooting up from the sunset (or sunrise) point. Green flashes occur because the atmosphere can cause the light from the sun to separate out into different colors. Green flashes are a group of phenomena which stem from slightly different causes, and therefore some types of green flashes are more common than others.

mI446YP.jpg

Astronomers Warn About Potential Dangers To Earth From Giant Comets

A recent study suggests Earth as we know it could be under the threat of giant comets, and ones that may not be on astronomers radar.

I wouldn't mind getting squashed by a comet right now. TBBFFLLT!

:handshake:

There is going to be a full moon on Xmas day. It will be the first one since whenever and there won't be another one till whenever - which is the same as full moons on any given day - since full moons happen once every 28 days - so on any given day the odds are about 1 in 28 there will be a full moon - so even though there is a full moon every month and it is not that special per se - there should only be a few in your lifetime on any specific day - including Xmas Day.

But there will be one of those this year.

So if you enjoy really contrived trivial phenomena, the full moon on Xmas should be just the thing for you.

And if that is the case and you enjoy things like that, blow me.

:fearpanic:

Ninth planet may have been discovered, researchers say

You might have a replacement, Pluto. There could be another planet in our solar system.

Researchers at the California Institute of Technology have found evidence in the outer solar system of an object that could be a real ninth planet.

Researchers haven't actually seen the planet, but other research leads them to believe there is one. Basically, they found that certain objects in the Kuiper Belt -- the field of icy objects and debris beyond Neptune -- had orbits that peculiarly pointed in the same direction.

Over time, mathematical modeling and computer simulation led them to the conclusion that a planet was exerting the gravity necessary to shape these orbits.

:monster:

Probably true though.

Sounds kinda shady like, yeah, like you can guess from the movement of other objects that there's a big honking planet there. Sounds like hocus pocus. But that's actually what happened with the other outer planets and Pluto. They were predicted based on external data before actually being spotted.

Real scientists are a bunch of freaks.

That's a good one.

Yap, you can see that shit from the moon.

You can observe that shit.

How about the fact that, if you're on the surface of the moon, the earth would never rise.

Or set.

It just sits there. Roughly the same spot in the sky. Spinning.

That seems strange to me.