Taliban wins again

• Start date
  • Replies 74 Comments
  • Views 3,133 Views
The rich and powerful always have an escape route. Probably would have been the first to be beheaded though.

afghanistan-taliban-kabul-bagram-e1ed33fe0c665ee67ba132c51b8e32a5

In a stunning rout, the Taliban seized nearly all of Afghanistan in just over a week, despite the billions of dollars spent by the U.S. and NATO over nearly two decades to build up Afghan security forces. Just days earlier, an American military assessment estimated it would be a month before the capital would come under insurgent pressure.

I'm starting to believe China would wipe us out if we went to war with them.

Quote Reply
Report Edit

Please elaborate. I'm interested in this shit now.

Taliban was founded in late 1994. They can not be credited for withdrawal of USSR forces in 1992 and the subsequent fall of Soviet-backed Najibullah's govt. Though the Taliban's founders/members fought against the Soviet forces, it's not fair to other major players. But, Taliban were the winners of the Afghan Civil War(1992-1996).

OK don't call them Taliban. Terrorist groups created /funded by western powers, does it matter what name they have on a given day?

Routledge claims he travelled to the country last week, believing it would not be dangerous. “I was under the impression that the country wouldn’t fall for another month, so I thought it was going to be fine,” he said in an interview with The Spectator, apparently from a United Nation safe house. “I’d seen videos on YouTube of people going. I thought maybe the worst case would be food poisoning.”

:potato:

barack-obama-what.gif

Let's see, the country's collapse is only scheduled to occur in 4 weeks. Should I do it? I think I should do it. It'll be fine. These things are super predictable, right?
Yeah, screw that all-inclusive in Monaco, let's do not-quite-under-Taliban-rule Afghanistan boys, it'll be fun. Just be careful around oysters.

When CNN says Biden botched the lead up to the Afghanistan withdrawal and Biden himself says on national TV that his administration underestimated the quickness of the Taliban takeover, the optics (and reality) of this are awful.

But there is PLENTY of blame to go around so the horny Trump cultists should just keep their mouths shut (which I know is REALLY hard for them to do).

Routledge claims he travelled to the country last week, believing it would not be dangerous. “I was under the impression that the country wouldn’t fall for another month, so I thought it was going to be fine,” he said in an interview with The Spectator, apparently from a United Nation safe house. “I’d seen videos on YouTube of people going. I thought maybe the worst case would be food poisoning.”

:potato:

View attachment 5896

This kid is a bit of a comedian. He's been posting on FB and it looks like he's on his way out of there: https://www.facebook.com/miles.routledge

In the days before the US-led invasion of Afghanistan in 2001, a group of British defence and security officials took a top-secret trip to Moscow.

The plan was to ask their Russian counterparts for advice on operating in the country given the former Soviet Union's doomed Afghan intervention that ended in defeat in 1989. The response was brutally prophetic.

One person who was at the meeting recalled: "When the Russians stopped laughing they told us: 'You will make the same bad choice we did, you will go in, you will lose, many of you will die and then you'll be forced to retreat, which will be good for us. How can we help?'"

Source

The Soviet Union was fighting the US trained and funded groups. And btw, left because the USSR was collapsing, and the govt. stood in Kabul for a time after.
So who's funding the groups/Taliban that the US was fighting?
My guess, it's all a tactical move. :thinking: It's geopolitical benefit for US to have terrorist launching pad bordering former Soviet republics.
And no they don't give a shit if some of their former allies get beheaded.

Kremlin has made a deal with Taliban. If you had been paying attention, Taliban leaders have visited Russia multiple times in the last couple of years. Not only Russia has not evacuated its embassy in Kabul but the Russian ambassador has met Taliban leader on Tuesday.

That only means they're trying to make the best of it. Some people actually believe in diplomacy over sanctimony

"Go place the IED down there, at the bend; they won’t see it.”
“It can wait ’til morning.”
“No, it can’t. They [the Americans] could come early, and we need it down there to kill as many as we can.”
“I think I’ll wait.”
“No, you won’t! Go place it.”
“Do I have to?”
“Yes! Go do it!”
“I don’t want to.”
“Brother, why not? We must jihad!”
“Brother … It’s too cold to jihad."

What I Learned While Eavesdropping on the Taliban