• Replies 26 Comments
  • Views 1,598 Views

Troll Bait

Darth Troll
Since
Jan 2, 2012
Score
Tokens
In a normal life, you have normal people around you, and normal interactions. If you do something well, there is positive reinforcement. People discuss your ideas, critique them, appreciate them. There is social admiration for success. In the game of life, there are three components to winning: wealth, happiness and fame. If you are smart, you acquire promotions and money.Your peers see what you do, and you gain fame in your small, insignificant circle. Eventually, your accumulation of wealth buys free time, which adds to happiness.

As a sports bettor, you're screwed. You might make money, but you are destined to be unhappy. If you're not a dumbass, you will acquire wealth. Yippy-kai-yay. Whether you sell your time, a kidney and half of your liver, or implement genius, you've got it made financially. The biggest failure of the sports betting lifestyle comes from the lack of a decent peer circle. There are two real shackles limiting your peers. Who can really understand what you do? And of those that do, with whom can you share the real ups and downs, and the real details? Sure, those few that you use for naked, unrestricted idea swapping... But those few are not enough to make a real peer group. The consequence of this paranoia -- the self limitation on sharing ideas -- is to create a social and intellectual isolation. A basis for sociopathy. I swear, serious sports bettors would make some of the best criminals due to their mindset, focus and sociopathy.

I always thought, "make more money, and you'll have more free time to make you happy." But once you descend into the sports betting abyss, your reality changes. It's Saturday afternoon. Should I spend another 6 hours on project Y? Or should I go to a baseball game and a date with the girlfriend? How much stuff do I have backed up in a queue to do? How much money will the game and date cost me over the next week and month? Will I make up the time in the next year? And then you blink. What the FUCK! Trim versus equity, EV vs leisure. If you were going to get laid, and someone offered you $Z (not a trivial amount) not to do it, would you? Is that any different than paying $Z to score? Some parts of having total flexibility on your time are obviously nice, but you become much more conscience of squandering the time.

I find that I am asking myself, "Is my current lifestyle better than being a 9-5 grunt?" Probably, but I need to find a better balance of work and play.

I like this post a lot TB, some very good points.

The biggest failure of the sports betting lifestyle comes from the lack of a decent peer circle. There are two real shackles limiting your peers. Who can really understand what you do? And of those that do, with whom can you share the real ups and downs, and the real details?

That's why I used to like hanging out with mcb, not that we were hanging out all the time, but I knew he completely understood the gambler's lifestyle even if he didn't live it himself. That inner society is not easy for most people to get.

Most people aren't worth my time much less money. Live in Las Vegas and you'll be reminded it of it daily. I don't need their admiration nor do I want it.

But the bottom line is: If you don't enjoy what you're doing and you'd rather be doing something else, you're not doing what you should be in the first place.

this thing sounds familiar. Pecos Bill :dunno: Most pro gamblers have much more free time than people with jobs.
It's probably true that not working makes it harder to meet peers, but that's the sacrifice you make. I'm not gonna become a wage slave just so I can make some friends. fuck em.

move to a country where no one cares what you do.

But the bottom line is: If you don't enjoy what you're doing and you'd rather be doing something else, you're not doing what you should be in the first place.

...and bc of this everything else is moot. crazy concept MF.

Most people aren't worth my time much less money. Live in Las Vegas and you'll be reminded it of it daily. I don't need their admiration nor do I want it.

This is very true. That's why I only did it for a few years. When I was betting I was enjoying it but once I lost the spark it became boring. I would rather stay extra hours at the office and challenge myself to design a new building rather than capping a few games. That's why I admire people who bet for a living. Whether it's easy or hard to win is meaningless to me as long as the person doing it enjoys it.

you admire me pavy???!?!!?! :muah:

you admire me pavy???!?!!?! :muah:

Please don't call my boss and tell him about my comments. I don't want to be suspended like Ozzie. :missingteeth:

I think you can take this out of context and look at the broader image which MF hit on. If you can't figure out what/how to make each day special or happy for you then you might wanna start there :). Don't blame it on the hobby/activity you are doing now.

It also scares me that you are viewing money as a means to an end. It sounds like from your post that to you getting more money is your number one goal and if there is more money involved than X activity you'll ALWAYS take it. Instead I'd challenge you to think of what it is you want to do? I bet you can't answer me that question and that is completely fine. I have troubles answering it myself with certainty daily. You should try to figure out some goals you'd like to achieve and then decided how much money you'll need to get that. ONLY then can you start deciding if capping that next game is worth it over spending a night on the town with friends for some good laughs and fun times.

I think Wally needs to wrap this conversation up, after all salient points are laid out there.... With a FLOW post!

Wallay maximize TB's TRO-FLOW!!!:egyptian:

I claim rights to the last name you are using.

Good shit Troll Bait.

I think people like MF, MrX, RickySteve et al. enjoy the mental gymnastics involved in modeling shit and outsmarting bookies. For the rest of us math boobs, it is indeed a pretty depressing/mindless way to make ends meet.

Then again:

556196_10150673468506299_69132076298_9593997_351903748_n.jpg

I think you can take this out of context and look at the broader image which MF hit on. If you can't figure out what/how to make each day special or happy for you then you might wanna start there :). Don't blame it on the hobby/activity you are doing now.

It also scares me that you are viewing money as a means to an end. It sounds like from your post that to you getting more money is your number one goal and if there is more money involved than X activity you'll ALWAYS take it. Instead I'd challenge you to think of what it is you want to do? I bet you can't answer me that question and that is completely fine. I have troubles answering it myself with certainty daily. You should try to figure out some goals you'd like to achieve and then decided how much money you'll need to get that. ONLY then can you start deciding if capping that next game is worth it over spending a night on the town with friends for some good laughs and fun times.

agree with this
sounds like Troll Bait hasn't fully matured and has bought into the BS thats he's been fed.
money+fame don't =shit
who the fuck wants to be famous anyway???
maybe its me but I'm not wired that way

Bump for anyone who is having any sports betting related crisis today.

Gamelive, it's the e-shoulder to cry on.

:fivergays:

Life is depressing.

I find the less people I deal with, the better my day goes.

Just accepted a position at an hourly job.

Drug test and background check pending.

Worst day of potato's life.