Sick

• Start date
  • Replies 24 Comments
  • Views 1,677 Views
Sure, I get that. My son plays football (soccer) at under-13 level in a league with a very good standard. It is refreshing to see the enthusiasm without the cynical behavior the pervades the game at professional level.
Many of the kids he plays against will go on to play in the youth teams of pro clubs but there will still be very little interest from the general public in anything other than the elite leagues.

I might do some reading on the origin of this popularity of CBB.

It's like the World Cup of soccer knock out stage. In the NBA they have playoffs which is boring to death. These games are one loss and you are out. And it's non-stop action for 4 days. It's the same reason a Game between Brazil and Togo is fun to watch even though Brazil is the better team because they can lose any time in a knock out game.

Let's not forget the ties people develop to their alma mater. I never even appreciated attending sporting events in person until I was a student at Oregon State and I was able to get cheap tickets for the student section. At first I just wanted to be around all thsoe shirtless college boys, but before long I was completely infatuated with the purity of college sports. Those same guys that were on ESPN would sometimes be sitting next to me at lectures or in line next to me at the MU. I really did feel like part of something bigger than myself, and I'm trying to make sure I never let that feeling go. And even though the Beavers didn't make the tourney this year, I still love this pageantry of "amateur" sports which graces us every March.

It's like the World Cup of soccer knock out stage. In the NBA they have playoffs which is boring to death. These games are one loss and you are out. And it's non-stop action for 4 days. It's the same reason a Game between Brazil and Togo is fun to watch even though Brazil is the better team because they can lose any time in a knock out game.

Thats actually my point kinda, Pavy, that it is not really like Brazil v Togo, but rather Brazil u21s v Togo u21s.
I am not knocking it, just find it strange.

It is a bit strange. It's probably comparable to Canada's attitude towards the world Junior hockey tournament.

When they hold it in Europe, many games just get watched by friends and family of the players and it is a quaint little life experience for a few kids and that's it.

They hold it in Canada and people are going nuts and there is scrutiny from the national media and they sell out pretty big venues. (And of course if they hold it in any northern USA city, it gets invaded by loony Canadians.)

I can relate with the NCAAB madness.

I'm off work today, yet awake at 630...which is earlier than if I were working.

Getting all giddy over these goddam games.

It's an illness, see.

:freak::guitar::bashing::anlight:

give it up Tommy, we all know you ain't got no job.