Shadows & Mirrors first video

• Start date
  • Replies 13 Comments
  • Views 1,144 Views
If the goal of the production was a Nine Inch Nails sound, it was a success.

There is a lot of promise in this song (the verse and production held my attention) but there are two HUGH things holding it back.

The chorus is very weak (ie: it's almost completely void of melody) and the track is about 3 minutes too long.

Nice work, Cougar. You're probably having a ton of fun doing it. I just think you need to write like 4 new choruses for the song and then pick the best one.

I'd like to add that writing good choruses is REALLY REALLY REALLY hard.

I didn't want to sound like it's some easy thing and you're a boob for missing the mark there.

If writing good (great) choruses was easy then we'd all be on tour and have houses in Malibu and big lofts in the West Village.

Very cool stuff, very dark video indeed. Agreed on the NIN sound. It seems very professionally done and well put together. Good stuff man.

shadows%20and%20mirrors_zpssucrpyhd.png

I listened to the whole album and enjoyed it. I think In the Dark is solid but the whole thing is pretty good.

i listened to a handful of songs i found on youtube.... distinctive sound, for sure... and i dig, In The Dark (although its about 3min too long, imo) but it basically sounded like every other song they have ...why is there little to no diversity in the music? ..sure, the words are different, but its easy to tell, after 10-15seconds, who the band is... again, i just watched what was on youtube and didnt listen to the whole album... still good shit, cougs.. congrats

Pretty good sounding tune actually. No way to tell how much of that is original though. I notice gas is 1.35 ...plus if I remember correctly, the guy is a tard. sounds not bad though :up:

Interestingly read. Had 2 albums released since these. Some good points on the critical side. Tron is right, choruses are hard. Reno is right, I was a tard. Gas was cheap because some of the video is sourced from old footage. All legal, because fuck courtrooms. Ray was right too, a more varied sound was needed, which I think I acheived in the last album, titled The Wild Life: https://shadowsmirrors.bandcamp.com/album/the-wild-life

By the way, that's just supposed to say "Interesting read" I am not entirely sure what happened there.

<Bangs on computer desk and yells something about the "dang internets">