Scrambled Eggs - the diary of an aspiring professional cash game grinder

• Start date
  • Replies 184 Comments
  • Views 10,988 Views
Pretty seamless, go when you want.

do you ever pee on the chips

ya know

for good luck

No but I'm kicked out of one place because my opponent felted me so I got up and pissed on his face

Finished +$98, not anything mind blowing but at least we're back in the green. I do feel like I played well today, didn't catch many breaks as the one set I caught paid very little and the both pairs of kings got busted up. The only mistake I can think of is a $65 turn bet on a table image play with mid pair. Note to self and to Archie - you only need to go one c-bet deep on table image plays and you can tell Big Al I said just that, loudly.

We'll be back at joint #3 tomorrow as they have $250 high hands starting at 11.

Really you can pick your spot to play during the daytime as it's going to be usuals pretty much everywhere. I'm starting to talk more to some of them at spot #3 and I think barring promos elsewhere that's where I'll be doing my daytime grinding, plus the dealer comes in at night. They even make a nice blt for lunch bit let's not under emphasize the quality of the chicken quesidilla for dinner. There's a gym by there I saw a sign up for that said it now has 24 hour access so that could be cool too.

My taste in music is your face, dealer girl.

What's weird is I was falling asleep towards the end of the session and somehow this substance called coffee woke me up.

Go figure.

I was down almost $200 and shifted into aggro mode for a little while, opening with connectors etc. It ended up setting me up to collect $50 extra on my aces which is cool, the main flaw to my game is lack of aggression (with exception to big hand c-bets, I'm solid there) so I'm getting better at that.

Hopefully there won't be signs and cones blowing all over the highway tomorrow, the whole wondering if you're about to die thing gets tedious.

Last edited:
you only need to go one c-bet deep on table image plays

I don't know what that means so I won't be saying it loudly or quietly to anyone but myself until you explain it

how are your feet?

you only need to go one c-bet deep on table image plays

I don't know what that means so I won't be saying it loudly or quietly to anyone but myself until you explain it

how are your feet?

It's a continuation bet read sklansky if you're so inclined.

They're good.

Actually health wise I feel good, I only eat decently healthy food anymore and I've lost a lot of weight. Just have to hit the gym.I put hair wax in in case I see the dealer today and I look like a moderately respectable adult which we all know couldn't be farther from the truth, and kind of cool but not like I'm trying to be cool. Like maybe like I'm 32 or whatever.

Spot #3 then 1 today, uneventful so far.

Came out of joint one up $534, my set of deuces was good and a nice pot with a big blind special of A6 as well. No dealer girl siting :(. Played very solid poker and even made a nice lay down with aces. Waiting for a seat at spot 1 now, it's packed which usually means good things as far as opponents. Usually only post at the end of the day in here but did so so as to motivate myself not to blow it at spot 2 like the other day!

Let's get it!

Archie a continuation bet is when let's say you have a hand like AK in late position with let's say four callers and the action is on you. You raise to maybe $25 to steal the blinds. One person calls you miss the board, let's say it comes 247 and the action is on you. Now it's time to decide if you want to check or make a continuation bet representing a hand like QQ, KK or AA. In this scenario I'd probably fire something like $40, the opponent is only calling or reraising with a set so you're basically asking them if they flopped a set on a flop like this, with a bet like that. Let's say they just call and the turn is a 9. What I was doing was firing a larger bullet here but a very common move which I use often if I'm the opponent is the stop/go - just call you on the flop with the set wait for you to make the second bet on the turn and then shove all in knowing you've invested a lot, therefore no need for the 2nd bet but yes a healthy bet on the flop is in order.

I finished up $46 at joint one which I'll take as I was down most of the night. I decided to try some different things since it was their first time playing me, like raising with suited cinnectors, semi bluffing hard, etc. It didn't go that we'll but when I did get AA and played it like I had connectors and might be bluffing again they paid more, so that's cool. When I go back the people I was playing will all now probably thing I'm pretty loose preflop so I can tighten up some and wait for sets, etc. Arch a table image play is when you want your opponents to think you play one way then you go to the other and their read is off on you so you get paid.

So that's +$580 for the day and I feel great about things, not just because I won but I feel like I played pretty great the entire time. It's definitely uplifting and I've really enjoyed talking to more of the other grinders lately.

Tomorrow (today) should be good, $500 high hands at joint 3 6-2. I do predict dealer girl will be there to so I'll make sure to wear clean clothes brush my teeth extra well and use hair wax.

I really feel after a day like today like I can make this work, I spoke to a guy today who has been doing it for a year and only plays 1/2. Different kind of player than I am but like me he chases the best promos, etc. I'm sure I'll see him around.

Then on Saturday I'll be at joint #2 all day as all the winners from the hours competition will be in drawings all day for cash, so that should be fun.

Run goog in everything you get into today all.

Ty Brother Monk!

On my way out for more hustling in a bit! Hustle hustle hustle!

Finished up $95 at spot one and spot #3 did not go well. The 1/3 table I was at broke up and I was down about $350 from that. I ended up at a 2/5 table and thing started out well, then the huge play was I had AK with a King on the board and an opponent I didn't know makes a monster reraising on my raise. I call and on the blank river he bets another monster raise which I call. He flops a set of kings for about a $1500 pot. Beyond frustrated with myself as everything was wrong with this play, wtf else would he be doing that with? I asked him on the turn if he was bigger than top pair and he answered me very loudly with his reraise. So bad, and can't happen. Of course I was drunk too :facepalm:

Just no excuse for this shit. Then polished things off by donking off the last $300 from my buy in like it didn't even matter, which is awful as well.

Very unhappy with myself but today is a new today with new possibilities. They are having a drawing at spot #2 for all of the people who placed in the hours competition so I'll be there from 11 to 11 doing that, hopefully I can have a good day and put a bandaid on things a little bit. I have to remember that I'm not going to win back the $905 :surrender: I lost yesterday all in one shot, the past is the past.

People you'really not going to beat the donkeys if you ARE the donkey and unlike rock stars I can't even fuck up this hotel room because they're pretty serious about incidentals here. I do want to though.

Lets see what we can do today, od fucking krow.

Chicken grease.

Finished up $95 at spot one and spot #3 did not go well. The 1/3 table I was at broke up and I was down about $350 from that. I ended up at a 2/5 table and thing started out well, then the huge play was I had AK with a King on the board and an opponent I didn't know makes a monster reraising on my raise. I call and on the blank river he bets another monster raise which I call. He flops a set of kings for about a $1500 pot. Beyond frustrated with myself as everything was wrong with this play, wtf else would he be doing that with? I asked him on the turn if he was bigger than top pair and he answered me very loudly with his reraise. So bad, and can't happen. Of course I was drunk too :facepalm:

Just no excuse for this shit. Then polished things off by donking off the last $300 from my buy in like it didn't even matter, which is awful as well.

Very unhappy with myself but today is a new today with new possibilities. They are having a drawing at spot #2 for all of the people who placed in the hours competition so I'll be there from 11 to 11 doing that, hopefully I can have a good day and put a bandaid on things a little bit. I have to remember that I'm not going to win back the $905 :surrender: I lost yesterday all in one shot, the past is the past.

People you'really not going to beat the donkeys if you ARE the donkey and unlike rock stars I can't even fuck up this hotel room because they're pretty serious about incidentals here. I do want to though.

Lets see what we can do today, od fucking krow.

Chicken grease.

Lost another $806 from play yesterday and it was not pretty. One play that was particularly horrible was I had A10 spades in the hole and followed a $25 raise from a hyper aggressive player that was cleaning up. The flop came js6c8s and he raised to $65. Convinced myself there was fold equity there and shoved all in for about $400. He instantly called, I missed and he flips a set of 6s for the winner.

Another inexcusable train wreck of a play. Sure there could have been fold equity there but I had no reason to assume that. He was wearing an expensive suit and had already gone all in a couple of times so the lean is likely no fold equity so that leaves us on the flush draw at roughly 45%. Now that we know own he had a set let's go ahead and chop 22% off of that and hee fucking haw I just threw $400 at roughly a 23% shot. Awful, total tourist play. I realize the core of it was I was still on tilt from the night before and I had been card dead for about 4 hours or so and of course beer. I did win $200 from their drawing which leaves me at a $606 loss on the day. That leaves me at $1511 in losses in two days mostly from being an asshole. Being buzzed/drunk. Playing 2/5 when I'm not rolled for it Playing way too many hands. Bluffing too much. Over $1k in crying calls. The list goes on and on and on. I got on a nice heaters for over a week and was convinced I was the man and I could play how I wanted and that things would work out. Uh yeah, not so much. As they say not only can running bad tilt you but actually a rush can as well. This poor play began weeks ago and I got lucky at first with it.

So, the party's over. I have dropped down to 1\2 to get my fucking game together. It does suck because the payoff of playing higher and winning is so much bigger and I've really enjoyed playing the 1/3 grinders. There's also plenty of cool people grinding at 1/2 though. I have been saying I shouldn't make this play or I shouldn't make that play over and over but you can tell yourself whatever you want. If you do something else it means nothing. I realize that impaired judgment from drinking has been a factor so completely dropping that. Not easy when it's free and yes I'm an alcoholic. But also man iit's s just not that tough to not fucking party. I still love the game most times to enjoy it without that. What are my strengths when I'm on point. I got lost and wasn't playing according to them. My strengths are the ability to play (sometimes insanely) long sessions. Excellent starting hand selection. Opponent reads. Quick math/photographic memory. I got away from all of it and sucked into the party. I know that subconsciously the inclination will be that I'm better than the 1/2 players and can run over then or get fancy or whatever. That's just carryover from the ego problem I ran into and either I can not let that shit throw me off and it's also not at all true. It's strange to say but I'm almost glad this happened so quickly because if it had been a longer process I could have been sucked in harder and thus donked off more longer. Again these are just words we will see what actions follow because at this point I'm not sure I trust myself drunk OR sober and I have to earn that trust back or just not play. Still way in the green since this started with a fixed car and a kickass new phone all from profit but this is about a lot more than that. Like I said if I play perfectly variance can kill me anyway but without perfect play it won't work.

Picking it up on the record keeping. I'll keep every hand I play in my blog (instead of here so as to keep this a smooth read) so I can track profit/loss from them from how I played them, positions etc. I put a song list there too, it helps to stay positive. If you decide based on my song list I could be your soul mate, you are an attractive female and you enjoy poker and are good let me know because we should grab a blt or something. I can treat you to lots of mediocre food with my comps alone but make no mistake I'll treat you and myself to the steak house, I won't ask to go Dutch and unlike some people I won't disappear out the bathroom window when the bill is incoming.

Spot 2 today for a few hours today then spot 3 has $250 high hands from 4-12 tonight so I'll be there for that. I've chosen them as my main spot because of the crowd and their promos, and yes dealer girl factored I'm as well. My buddy who did this professionally in college told me she was likely angling me to keep me coming back and to that I say you know what? I don't care because it's about positive energy in the end which that kind of thing provides, and this is conducive to defeating all of the negativity that can make this not fun and make a person not want to do this anymore, so I say if that's the case you did a great job dealer girl I could easily be paying that rake at Sands Bethlehem 4 days a week. If that's not the case then hey, life can be a peach sometimes.

Alright, getting to it. Run good in all you do everyone and don't do anything I would've done last week and hopefully won't do this week.

Last edited:
What's this thread about anyway? Pliers?

Yeah because if I keep playing like a fucking donkey theyre gonna need them to hold my body open to take out the organs I had to sell on the black market.

Yep. Likely story.
Tighten starting hand requirements and try to avoid those questionable situations. If you find you're not playing any hands, occasionally raise with some shitty hands preflop, make continuation bet and fold if nothing hits. 2~5 maybe considerably tougher game. Also occasionally check raise preflop raiser. Key is in those situations is you're risking a set amount.

Appreciate the reinforcement and insight Reno :hattip:

Winning the 2 bones was a reminder of what I'm there for too, like you said - playing solid and counting up those freebies.

Chick I think is kind of cute working the snack bar was just talking to me for a bit, beautiful eyes. She's pretty cool.I got play here more often but yeah those high hands at spot #3 and deals girl still has the edge.

Last edited:
I'm not good w poker terminology, but what I can ascertain is Steve is pretty good at poker.

Casp a good buddy told me I am one of the best or worst poker players in the world depending on when and beer consumption.

The latter is quite expensive.

At spot #3 now. Regarding snack bar girl at spot #2 she threw in a brief conversation that tomorrow begins her weekend and then told a story about being pulled over with an ex boyfriend which could have been saying hey buddy I don't have a boyfriend now but also could have just been random conversation. Maybe we'll find out sometime, I do love it there but they're not up there with the other spots on promos for the rest of the month. I really wish they'd step it up in that department. I hope I see dealer girl tonight and I hope she does some half a second thing that drives me nuts for days again. :inyourface:

Last edited: