Scrambled Eggs - the diary of an aspiring professional cash game grinder

• Start date
  • Replies 184 Comments
  • Views 11,063 Views
i have learned not to fight fatigue anymore, effectiveness goes way down for me, im more efficient setting time limits

happy fourth bro eggs

:cheers:

I can't fight it man I have to learn to play well through it, my position is different than yours which we know. I don't expect 100% effectiveness through it but I expect to be decent enough to tread water.

Happy Fourth Rogie

let's e-enjoy this and many more together my brotha

Not a big deal, but just something to think about:

The way you're logging mistakes doesn't really make any actual sense.

When you do something that you consider a mistake, and it costs you $200, eliminating that mistake doesn't really equal saving $200. More likely, the actual cost of the mistake was a small fraction of what you actually lost. You probably had outs to win the hand, your opponent could have had a lesser hand, your opponent could have folded a better hand, etc.

It's almost never the case that the way you played a mistake hand had no chance of winning, given the information available to you.

Also, you're surely making mistakes that end well, and not counting those against the mistakes that end badly.

No big deal, it's just my opinion that thinking about these things as accurately as possible leads to a better understanding of the game. And, thinking that eliminating these mistakes (some of which are probably good plays that didn't work) will add whatever you lost on those hands to your daily average is not good thinking.

Overall, though, great job. Keep up the good fight.

MrX
Not a big deal, but just something to think about:

The way you're logging mistakes doesn't really make any actual sense.

When you do something that you consider a mistake, and it costs you $200, eliminating that mistake doesn't really equal saving $200. More likely, the actual cost of the mistake was a small fraction of what you actually lost. You probably had outs to win the hand, your opponent could have had a lesser hand, your opponent could have folded a better hand, etc.

It's almost never the case that the way you played a mistake hand had no chance of winning, given the information available to you.

Also, you're surely making mistakes that end well, and not counting those against the mistakes that end badly.

No big deal, it's just my opinion that thinking about these things as accurately as possible leads to a better understanding of the game. And, thinking that eliminating these mistakes (some of which are probably good plays that didn't work) will add whatever you lost on those hands to your daily average is not good thinking.

Overall, though, great job. Keep up the good fight.

I hear you man, so many implied odds either way and you're right there have been tilty mistakes that have ended well as well; for instance there was a tilty call I made yesterday with 79 suited that led to a straight and a decent pot but I didn't put it in my hands blog because it was profitable. It was right after one of my pairs of aces got cracked so the whole root of it was tilt and steam and it deserved no merit. I will still keep blogging them for the sake of the other ones and to show (though it won't be anywhere close to exact) how much better a session would have been if I didn't open the can of worms that was say making a position play with AQ and getting clobbered by AK or something like that.

I really appreciate the encouragement man, I've been really focused making what a pro at this level should be making, and I was/am still very disappointed to realize that tilt and fatigue affected my decisions last night. I respect your opinion a ton so seeing that you feel I'm overall doing good helps alleviate the steam a little.

Hope you're having a good fourth man. :cheers:

Last edited:
Very healthy 4th of July. I was able to win back all of the money I lost in Sunday's variance/tilt session and a little more on top of that for what has been a decently productive trip. I feel like I was extremely focused all day/night long and made zero blatant mistakes with maybe $100 worth of arguable mistakes - $40 into what was probably an unnecessary table image play and $60 into calls with top/top when I knew the very advanced LAG player I was facing had better than that.

When I look at the numbers before expenses it's just about what I expect to be making hourly at this level which is very cool. After expenses it's nowhere near as cool. Sure to a non pro they'd say hey look at this great time we had doing what we love and we even won some extra, but we all know that's not what we're doing here. So if I look at the net over the course of time the numbers are going to shake out to be only so high at this level if we're playing at peak level, which we mostly seem to be. So circling back around to basics we need to do what we can to limit expenses, get the roll up and move up to 2/5 asap. We're doing very well at the tables, but we're spending so much on rooms and food that things aren't growing quickly enough.

In conclusion I found another room I love, great across the board when it comes to the staff, the food, etc. The biggest strength here is the action, it was the biggest holiday of the year so naturally it was poppin but it's great here on a regular basis. Unfortunately it's just so far away so it'll probably be a spot to hit on big holidays, etc. Very strong promos as well.

I'll likely play here for awhile today and see if I can sweeten up the final numbers for the trip a little bit and will go from there.

I hope everyone had a stupid and reckless Holiday because really - what fun is playing between the lines?

Pfft.

:fearpanic:

Last edited:
Had a great trip.

Stopped by a spot on the way home I doubt I'll go back to for reasons involving an incredibly gorgeous bartender who likes to protect her poker playing friends' bankrolls with the assistance of security and even a little heat.

I am an innocent man but I don't think we're bff's.

Reno said to stay east of the Mississippi, there are other necessary exclusions.

So when you decide to show to the pretty bartender how cool you THINK you are she might just decide to level you as hard as she possibly can. I'm so sick it actually turns me on, this is true.

But I just don't think it's meant to be. Or is it?! :thinking:

No, no - I'll move on.

I can't believe this is true but gueys I'm here to tell you -

I'm pretty sure everyone wants more money.

I mean she even pretended to like KOL a little, or she actually might.

I'd only dance with her if she started.

Why am I so fucking horny, this is ridiculous, they will use it to take all of my money.

What the fuck ever.

So what do we take from this experience -

Don't Hollywood then cough it up for any reason including a pretty smile. If a room is dead just walk out unless the promos are strong enough to overcome the lack of action and the angling.

Don't drink at the tables. Things are coming along socially and we have that for that.

No more fight clubbing yourself at the table.

Coach said to step up to 2/5 soon.

Are we ready for each other?

Hopefully.

I'm nervously excited.

Then again I was also nervously excited for my first blowjob and look how that went.

Mila-Kunis.jpg

Had a great trip.

Stopped by a spot on the way home I doubt I'll go back to for reasons involving an incredibly gorgeous bartender who likes to protect her poker playing friends' bankrolls with the assistance of security and even a little heat.

I am an innocent man but I don't think we're bff's.

Reno said to stay east of the Mississippi, there are other necessary exclusions.

So when you decide to show to the pretty bartender how cool you THINK you are she might just decide to level you as hard as she possibly can. I'm so sick it actually turns me on, this is true.

But I just don't think it's meant to be. Or is it?! :thinking:

No, no - I'll move on.

I can't believe this is true but gueys I'm here to tell you -

I'm pretty sure everyone wants more money.

I mean she even pretended to like KOL a little, or she actually might.

I'd only dance with her if she started.

Why am I so fucking horny, this is ridiculous, they will use it to take all of my money.

What the fuck ever.

this was official place or backroom stuff?

Official place man, real life shit.

I get it though, it's a poverty stricken area. I still don't respect being so blatantly obvious and dishonest though. Coach told me to not do anything back so I won't.

But whatever I need to move on mentally from it - a lot to be excited about right now.

I just got this girl's digits :inyourface:

Coach is making me work out before every session now. Fuck me, he's right. But I mean fuck me. Some serious adulting to do today :sbrjohn:, then workout then haven't decided where yet but I have a lean that should be good. What I'm NOT going to do is get drunk and then tell the cutiepatootie bartender that hey I'm pretty fucking good and I do think things will go a lot better if I don't do that.

Advice for you guys - don't trust a perfect person, and don't trust a song that's flawless. Just don't.

Everyone have a good day and God sakes, stay safe.

Right?

Best pop out there right now bro

Adulting went well. They've actually really cleaned up the DMV process since the last time I went 20 years ago.

About ready to shake it up brah.

Last edited:
Crazy to say but very pleased after actually losing $50 over the course of 12 hours. Played more or less perfectly, tough when your pocket kings get busted up at least 5 times your aces get rivered after you completely bet your opponent out but he called anyway etc. Spent all night trying to work this fish, he paid me off a little and everyone else alot. Assuming I feel up to it later will head to AC and as per coach do a buy in at 2/5 and see if we can make that where we'll be playing for awhile. If I have to step down that's fine but if I can make it work it's really going to be what I need to make things work.

It has been serious, what we've been doing so far.

Now gents? We take a shot at the real show and a real life doing this.

Is the future now?

We about to find out.

Everyone enjoy your lives.

Gavin Griffin

Gavin Griffin provides a great success story.

He known for winning the World Series, The European Poker Tour and the World Poker Tour title.Gavin Griffin

Significantly, he started off his career as a high stakes poker player in 2007 but by 2011 this strategy had proved detrimental to his career.

To get back on track Mr Griffin re-created himself as a grinder.

In doing so he kept a very firm eye on his bank roll.

He started entering $8-$16 Holdem or Omaha games and transcribing every hand he played during the day.

From a very volatile and spontaneous player, he became meticulous and precise.

As stated above he admits that tracking each hand is difficult when playing multiple games, particularly due to fatigue.

However, due to this rigorous low risk strategy, Gavin Griffin has successfully rebuilt his credibility as a poker player.

What do we learn?

Recording your every move is key is a successful career as a grinder.
This type of game is less about gut and more about analyzing past mistakes or successes to perfect a logical strategy.

Yes Virty, too much variance for a grinder's taste but love the action.

Not the heartbreak.

Very nice turnaround last night in only a few hours. Actually got lucky a couple of times and unlucky zero times. Also played pretty much flawless poker, the only mistake was getting too invested in that table image play in which the river hit. As X said about these just because it was profitable doesn't mean it wasn't a mistake. It was, but I was invested enough to call $35 to see the river for the flush draw, imo. I just have to remember that especially in spots I'm a regular all the regulars know I'm hard Tight/Aggro so they're going to do the natural correct strategy and sit back and collect my c-bets, this guy had top/top and had me crushed until the river hit. Just have to remember to hit the brakes a little bit on the turn, actually on this one I did and HE put me in for $35 to see it. Hmm...maybe the odds weren't there for me to make that call, actually. Yeah, I don't think they were. Anyway.

Coach didn't have me step up last night because I was way short on sleep after the other night's variance session and chasing that fish around (which didn't work out). I have to remember that when I do an all nighter and come in at 8 the next morning it's going to fuck me up for a day or two because for whatever reason I cannot sleep during daylight. I do agree that this particular player was worth all of that even though I only got him for a bit. I hit the big hand I was looking for against him and of course in that particular session he ALSO had Aces :lmao:. I take one 2 minute leak and he walks off. I get it, don't look like you're running away, save face and do it when I'm gone. Well guess what next time I'll drink less water and will fucking hold it until YOU go. Bear don't have time to piss/shit until AFTER eating.

Anyway got some Z's going to get a little more then going to workout, some adulting and tonight we tangle with the big boys, just a matter of where.

Get some.

1242183422373.jpg