3. Fargo, North Dakota
4. Omaha, Nebraska
5. Boston, Massachusetts
6. Madison, Wisconsin
7. Sioux Falls, South Dakota
8. St. Paul, Minnesota
9. Burlington, Vermont
10. Plano, Texas

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...addest-cities-revealed--3-Sunshine-State.html

Men's Health magazine calculated suicide and unemployment rates in 100 cities across the country.
It then researched the percentage of households that use antidepressants, as well as the number of people who report feeling down all or most of the time.

Potato would only consider living in one of those "happiest cities" and it would be rough considering EPL starts at 5 AM there and the cost of living is through the roof.

I'm surprised Cleveland is not up there.

MF'r always says Madison is cool, I want to go there one day

lived in madison from ages 13-15

too young to appreciate it for its splendor

SADDEST CITIES
1. St. Petersburg, Florida
2. Detroit, Michigan
3. Memphis, Tennessee
4. Tampa, Florida
5. Louisville, Kentucky
6. St. Louis, Missouri
7. Birmingham, Alabama
8. Miami, Florida
9. Reno, Nevada
10. Las Vegas, Nevada

HAPPIEST CITIES
1. Honolulu, Hawaii
2. Manchester, New Hampshire
3. Fargo, North Dakota
4. Omaha, Nebraska
5. Boston, Massachusetts
6. Madison, Wisconsin
7. Sioux Falls, South Dakota
8. St. Paul, Minnesota
9. Burlington, Vermont
10. Plano, Texas

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...addest-cities-revealed--3-Sunshine-State.html

I can name a GL poster living in every one of the top 10 saddest cities. LOL!

lived in madison from ages 13-15

too young to appreciate it for its splendor

the geography of it between the lakes looks very nice

Hi Kato,

In the early 1980's Plano Texas was the epicenter of teen suicide in the United States. Probably explains why now it is such a happy city. That, or the prevalence of crystal meth.

Best regards,

Shannon

good to see you Mr. D

be well

At first I was going to say the list was rigged as some of my happiest times were spread around Florida.

But after looking at the criteria of this study I get it. Unemployment rate, suicides, antidepressant use and people who feel down a lot of the time. Notice how 8 of the happiest cities are all way up north? Closer to Canada.

:shari:

Anyone else blown away by the fact that St. Paul AND Fargo are on that list???

I would like to see this list with the crime rates of each city next to it.

If you calculate the black population of each of the saddest vs the happiest cities you can see that the lower the black % the happiest the city and vice versa.

That's probably a big chunk of the reason why. And at least with the Dakotas, Minny and Wisconsin (only ones I can vouch for), there's a high Scandi population and there's no bloody way they'd answer yes to feeling down or suicidal. Sweeping generalisation of course. But I think this list is a bit limited in what it's gauging for happiness.

If Florida had a better education system, I'd move there as quickly as I could. I really did love it. Bought a house for much less than I'd pay up north, LOVED the weather, low taxes, I liked how there were a lot transients because it didn't have that insular you had to know people since kindergarten feeling. Mind you I lived in Orlando so maybe those cities were quite different but I spent a lot of time in St Pete's and Miami, and some time in Tampa and I never felt they were different than Orlando other than St Pete's which seemed even more laid back.

This seems like one of the craziest lists I have seen in awhile, so many of the happiest places are not places where young people are choosing to live or move to . Popular entertainment/health magazines are probably not the best place for science or data but I would look at stuff like how many people surveyed are older and established in their communities, if you are 65 years old in Sioux falls or Fargo, you are in it for the long haul.

I just cant imaging choosing shoveling snow off the driveway in the dark every morning over florida white sand beaches, beautiful sunsets,great food ,palm trees, orange trees and pools but maybe alot of these real estate /mortgage fiascos in sunbelt places like miami,tampa, and vegas are being reflected in this study. I wouldnt be depressed in this freezing weather being in florida on a beach right now.

The Dakoters are tearing up the happiness side of things. Time to move there and see what that's all about.

The Dakoters are tearing up the happiness side of things. Time to move there and see what that's all about.

I think they conducted this survey in the summer.

Good call FW. Very likely...I know those North Dakoter winters don't bring in a whole lot of happiness.