Ryan Howard And Philles Agree $125 Million Deal

Polaroid

I need a tittle
Since
Jan 21, 2010
Score
Tokens
When you think about bad baseball contracts, any number of recent deals spring to mind and they generally fall into two categories. There are the times that a club overpays for a player either in annual salary, length of contract or both and the player's performance never lives up to the pricetag. A good example is the $128 million that the San Francisco Giants handed to Barry Zito in 2006 and also pretty much anyone given a contract by the Detroit Tigers between 2006-2008. Then there are the contracts where bad luck, bad judgement (or both) conspire to turn a signing into a disaster like the $47 million the LA Dodgers gave Jason Schmidt in 2006 in a three year deal knowing he had shoulder issues; Schmidt would end up earning the equivalent of nearly $5 million for each start.

And so we had the news on Monday that the Philadelphia Phillies extended the contract of first baseman Ryan Howard starting 2012 in a 5 year $125 million deal which will cover his age 32-36 seasons with a $10 million dollar buyout and $23 million option for 2017. That would make Howard the highest paid player in baseball not named Alex Rodriguez and at first glance it looks distinctly like it should be filed in the bad contracts section. With any contract, the team would very much like it if the value of the contract is less than the monetary value of the player to the team and so the Phillies would expect at least $25 million worth of annual production from Howard. However, in Howard's first four full seasons his monetized Wins Above Replacement suggests he is worth an average of just under $20 million per year and only in one of those seasons did he produce more than $25 million worth of value which was in his breakout MVP year of 2006 in 2009 his OPS was .154 lower.

oamghaacc.jpg

Averaging 49 home runs and 143 RBIs might tick those fantasy baseball boxes but striking out nearly double the league average and a fielding ability that would put him in the DH spot in most American League sides hurts what he can do for the Phillies. Howard is currently in his prime years and his production can only wane as 2017 gets closer which is a worry for a player of his type where decline tends to be sudden and rapid. Although the deal can only be fully quantified seven years down the line, it's a big gamble for Philadelphia (who already sport the second oldest team in baseball) with a lot of risk and with little upside - and that's assuming he doesn't succumb to any serious injuries.

idiotic contract

he's 30 and even at his best isn't worth that money. the phillies are complete fools to pay him like a top 5 player when he's far from it.

if that's what it would take to sign him, any GM with a functioning brain and any kind of baseball sense would trade him or let him walk.

The worse thing about it is that he was eligible for free agency in 2011 and currently Prince Fielder, Adrian Gonzalez, Albert Pujols all play first base and all are potentially eligible for free agency after the 2011 season. Arguably (based on age and ability) they have signed the worst of those four to the second highest salary in the game. Madness.

Utley should be worth $250 million then.

Good news for Pujols. No way he should take a penny less than $30 mil per.

Proud of my Phillies for doing this. Unexpected and too much money, but was the right thing to do! The guy lost a couple of good years ($$$ for him) being stuck in the minors behind Jim Thome. Once put into the everyday lineup, the guy hasn't missed a beat.

Alot of money but the guy has been a good soldier on and off the field. The power numbers alone speak for themselves. Already getting 18 million a year, so if you don't sign him, who do you sign to replace him. I say keep the guys like him, Utley, Rollins, Hamels that were with you from the beginning if possible? :clap:

I say keep Moyer and Lidge. But what do I know?

Don't get me started on that POS Moyer! I like Lidge, some injury problems that might never get better? We will see? Bet Phils wish they kept Cliff Lee for a mere 9 million now? Every time I see Moyer pitch, I can't believe he makes it through the 3rd inning? But what do I know?

The worse thing about it is that he was eligible for free agency in 2011 and currently Prince Fielder, Adrian Gonzalez, Albert Pujols all play first base and all are potentially eligible for free agency after the 2011 season. Arguably (based on age and ability) they have signed the worst of those four to the second highest salary in the game. Madness.

Exactly right. I was thinking that too when I read it. He wasn't going to be a FA until after next season. So he'll be 32, with better or similar options available.

I can't imagine what A-Gone, Fielder, and Pujols are going to demand now. I bet Joe Mauer is wishing he'd waited.

30+ guy who isn't especially good in the field, strikes out about 200 times a year and is about a .260 hitter. His OBPs from 2008-2010: .339, .360, .299

this is a guy that the Phillies consider top 5 in baseball? Hell, he's borderline on whether he's top 5 among first baseman.

Some big contracts look ok when signed and later turn out to be disasters. This one looks awful from the start. He was overpaid anyway but it wasn't that bad to pay that for this year and next and then trade him or let him leave.

Don't get me started on that POS Moyer! I like Lidge, some injury problems that might never get better? We will see? Bet Phils wish they kept Cliff Lee for a mere 9 million now? Every time I see Moyer pitch, I can't believe he makes it through the 3rd inning? But what do I know?

dunno what package they could've put together for halladay if they wouldn't deal lee

that they presumably had to have roy halladay

Mr Monkey, I just read locally here that Phillies VERY interested in trading to get Burrell back.

Keep your fingers crossed buddy!

pat-burrell-rowand.JPG

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The more I see that picture, God I wish I had a vagina! :muddy:

that they presumably had to have roy halladay

Easily could have had both if they didn't sign Moyer to a 2 year deal after WSeries victory in 2008. Who gives someone that old more than one year? Owe him 8 mil this year. Lee makes 9 mil. Phils management put a 140 million ceiling on payroll and there at it! Plus they offered arbitration to Blanton too early but can't argue with that not knowing they would get Halladay.

So who would you want for this year, Moyer or Lee? With the way the rotation looks like now, probably owners wish they brought the payroll up to 149 million? Probably should win the division with no problem, but need more than 2 good starters for the playoffs. SF arms could easily shut down in Phils in the playoffs IMO?

Easily could have had both if they didn't sign Moyer to a 2 year deal after WSeries victory in 2008. Who gives someone that old more than one year? Owe him 8 mil this year. Lee makes 9 mil. Phils management put a 140 million ceiling on payroll and there at it! Plus they offered arbitration to Blanton too early but can't argue with that not knowing they would get Halladay.

So who would you want for this year, Moyer or Lee? With the way the rotation looks like now, probably owners wish they brought the payroll up to 149 million? Probably should win the division with no problem, but need more than 2 good starters for the playoffs. SF arms could easily shut down in Phils in the playoffs IMO?

no that's not what I'm saying. I'm talking about the package for Halladay in a trade.