random MUSIC thoughts

• Start date
  • Replies 515 Comments
  • Views 28,673 Views
I've decided, largely inspired by the movie Yesterday, to listen to the whole Beatles collection, in chronological order, one album a week.

So today - originally released in Mono, three months before I was born: Please Please Me (1963)

Okay, so, anyone who knows anything is aware of The Beatles bubblegum beginnings. I actually only knew/remembered a handful of the 14 tracks on this album. It opens with I Saw Her Standing There which is, in my estimation, as outstanding as a pop song can be. Tons of energy. Well written. Great song.

And then it kinda falls off a cliff. I'm sorry. Bubblegum just isn't my go-to thing. At times I was laughing at the cheesiness of the strung-together cliches that make up these songs.

A Taste of Honey is on there. I had forgotten they covered that. It's not good though.

But then an amazing thing happens. The final track. Twist and Shout. It seems so out of place - but so welcomely out of place.

And it's just like, yeah, I know they didn't write it but still, there they are. There's the springboard. That's The Beatles.

maxresdefault.jpg

Highly Suspect released their new album 11.1 "MCID". It's got a lot of hip hop on it which is a big change from their prior all rock albums.

Not liking their new direction.

Many fans got "MCID" tattood on their bodies because it is the band's catch phrase meaning "My Crew IS Dope". I was almost one of them.

Now said fans have a tat representing a mostly hip hop album from what was viewed by some as one of the best rock bands in the world.

Like almost all other bands they too will fall into the category of "yeah, they're still cool but I prefer their old shit".

Mama's got a squeeze box she wears on her chest
And when Daddy comes home he never gets no rest
'Cause she's playing all night
And the music's all right
Mama's got a squeeze box
Daddy never sleeps at night

I think this song is actually about sex

She goes in and out and in and out and in and out and in and out

Yes. Yes, I think it's about sex.

:handshake:

Cage the Elephant's Social Cues nominated for best rock album grammy.

Great album, best band right now.

Give them that shit.

Oh great, Squeezebox is stuck in my head now.

In my chronological Beatles review, I have gotten to the Revolver album which opens with Taxman. Great song. Love the sound of it. Heard it many times of course.

What I didn't realize though was the one part where they say

Don't ask me what I want it for
(Taxman, Mr. Wilson)
If you don't want to pay some more
(Taxman, Mr. Heath)

I always figured those names were typical made-up Beatles characters thrown in there. But actually Wilson and Heath were British Prime Ministers of that era. I know this because I just watched the 3rd season of The Crown which covers that era - so their relationships with the Queen were looked at.

Until today, I thought the second name they were saying was Heep. Taxman Mr. Heep. Like Uriah Heep from Dickens.

But nope.

I learned something today.

Tomorrow Never Knows though.

Three years earlier, they were doing Love Me Do.

Musta been a helluva thing to live through, sticking that on your turntable for the first time.

I listened to this (never heard before). And yeah, it feels like pretty wild. And then I'm thinking, The Pink Floyd was basically doing similar stuff around the same time. And then I'm reminded of an interview where Syd Barret bemoans the fact he's not getting the accolades of John Lennon and what not :thinking:

Tomorrow Never Knows is an awesome track.

There is a band called Uriah Heep.

I was going to say there used to be a band called Uriah Heep - I mainly remember them from my high school years. I was never a fan but I was definitely aware of them.

Anyway, although they haven't crossed my radar for a few decades, it turns out they are still a thing. Uriah Heep has been a band since 1969. 50 years.

I have no big point to make except, what an odd thing to call your band. Uriah Heep was a character from David Copperfield by Dickens. He was this total squirmy, weaselly sycophant.

Just seems odd, to name your band after a complete choad.

The Pink Floyd was basically doing similar stuff around the same time. And then I'm reminded of an interview where Syd Barret bemoans the fact he's not getting the accolades of John Lennon and what not :thinking:

John Lennon had more talent in his left pinky toe than Syd Barret had in his entire body.

For the benefit of Mr. Kite
There will be a show tonight
On trampoline

Let's all get up and dance to a song
That was a hit before your mother was born
Though she was born a long, long time ago
Your mother should know
Your mother should know

Bang, bang, Maxwell's silver hammer
Came down upon her head