• Views 1,330 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
does radio suck?

I have given it a try a couple times lately. I was listening to The FAN 590 which is an all-sports format. Between the big blocks of commercials and the repetitious news/traffic/weather, I swear you get about 12 minutes of content every hour. And half of that is phone-in stuff so you get to hear low IQ opinions and conspiracies theories that I could just as easily get at SBR.

It has been ages since I listened to music radio. Too much suckage with that. Fortunately I have a CD player.

Every once in awhile I will be in my car and a game I am interested in will be on the radio. At those times, I am grateful for radio.

Other than that though, I do not have much good to say about the medium.

agree,
have you tried satelillite radio yet?

its much better and can find just about any genre your into for that day.
although I'm not sure the content really justifies the price for me.
I recently got another 3 month subscription to try it out again and they've raised the price yet again

Yeah, terrestrial radio truly blows these days. However both satellite radio options only seem to improve in quality, especially XM, which I've invested in for myself. The handheld portable receiver doesn't get the greatest reception, but their boombox model works flawlessly and I get to have music and sports out in the woods while I work.

I listen to sports radio 95% of the time I'm in my car. The other 5% is usually on classic rock. I like several genre's of music, including fast and heavy stuff. But the "fast" and "heavy" stuff they play on modern rock channels is absolute garbage. Makes my ears want to bleed. Really, the only music radio I can stand is classic rock.

agree,
have you tried satelillite radio yet?

I have not gotten around to it. The one thing I used to like on the radio years ago was Howard Stern (despite TONS of commercials as I recall). But I guess I just didn't care enough to follow him to satellite.

Mudder just listen to Ryerson or UofT

Seriously? If so, what is the format?

There are some countries where radio coverage is still king. In Nicaragua for example, its a baseball crazy country and they love the MLB. Because of its poor nature open air tv doesn't show the games and forget about pay tv for the masses. So the baseball coverage starts at 5pm and end around 1:30am. Two hour break down of the days game before, and in running coverage of all the games. It can be an enjoyable experience.

I was going to mention that I'd never listened to satellite radio, but then I just picked up a rental car today and, sure enough, satellite radio. Put me some grunge on. It sounded like grunge on radio.

Baseball is great on the radio

I like Satellite radio but would not pay for it

I have horrible nightmarish memories about radio. I remember one place I used to work they played a pop station over the PA. It was a short rotation format so you would hear the same horrible pop songs, like, 7 times every shift, day after day. Music aside, it was a horrible job at a horrible time in my life.

Sometimes I'll hear certain crappy pop songs and I'll start to feel shaky - and I will realize it's because it was one of the songs that was on short rotation at that crappy time in my life.

That was some bad radio.

Muddy, do you like Rap or Hip hop better?

I hate listening to sports radio or any nitwit's (radio or TV) opinion. I'll listen to music on the radio in my car once in a while but usually have my iphone hooked up.

Muddy, do you like Rap or Hip hop better?

Hmmm. You know, now that I think about it, I'm not even exactly sure what gets classified as hip hop. I have some idea.

There are some rap songs I have liked but many I don't.

I'll say hip hop??