Only in Quebec - French language proficiency certificate denied to a French citizen for writing a chapter of her PhD thesis in English

• Start date
  • Replies 17 Comments
  • Views 1,352 Views

vagabond

doldrums
Since
Sep 12, 2010
Score
Tokens
Replace WTF with WTQ.

Is a French woman who grew up speaking the language of Molière not French enough for Quebec?
That question was being debated in Canada this week after Émilie Dubois, a 31-year-old French citizen fluent in French, was unable to get a certificate she needed before she can settle permanently in Quebec.
Her transgression? Writing one chapter of her doctoral thesis in English rather than in French.

There is more to the story - she failed to submit paperwork in time. Either way, she ended up being accepted. Administrative screw-up is all.

Journalists 🙄

Matty would you like to go live back to Montreal? Or have this past ten years influenced you not to want to go back?

I like to visit Montreal, especially in the summer, but the idea of moving back there does not appeal to me at all right now, mostly because it would feel like going back in time, if that makes any sense. It might still happen 'cause the wife keeps getting offered big jobs there (I couldn't possibly say no if she gets offered a full professorship in Montreal.)

Now, nearly all my family and friends have moved out to the suburbs (and we ain't moving to suburbia!) and the city itself has changed quite a bit since I left in 2010, so I feel like a stranger when I visit.

Toronto is a strange place but I somehow feel at home here. I'm not your typical loud & gregarious Quebecer - Toronto's anglo-saxon reserve seems to suit me better.

So yeah, 9 years spent elsewhere creates a pretty big disconnect with one's hometown.

Right, says so right in the name. Where was vagabond born then? (Rogie? Is that in the files?)

I like to visit Montreal, especially in the summer, but the idea of moving back there does not appeal to me at all right now, mostly because it would feel like going back in time, if that makes any sense. It might still happen 'cause the wife keeps getting offered big jobs there (I couldn't possibly say no if she gets offered a full professorship in Montreal.)

Now, nearly all my family and friends have moved out to the suburbs (and we ain't moving to suburbia!) and the city itself has changed quite a bit since I left in 2010, so I feel like a stranger when I visit.

Toronto is a strange place but I somehow feel at home here. I'm not your typical loud & gregarious Quebecer - Toronto's anglo-saxon reserve seems to suit me better.

So yeah, 9 years spent elsewhere creates a pretty big disconnect with one's hometown.
yeah I get that feeling. Don't even like driving through neighborhoods in Denver where I used to live.

Lol G with the fat skank while Danny B is with the ten.

Unreal.

Haha, when was that? Giroux looks like a kid (Brière too but he always did)