Obamas numbers and Intrade

• Start date
  • Replies 74 Comments
  • Views 6,758 Views
Obama 68.0% intrade

Silvers model pretty much the same as it has been all summer

Obama -363 pinnacle

Shaping up as Obama wins re-election, Democrats keep control of the Senate, and Republicans stay in power in the House. We will see, some very different numbers from polls and perceptions out there. Should be interesting to watch how intrade and silvers model perform. Intrade has been impressive over the last two elections. In 2004, intrade users picked the winner of every single state and only missed two states in the 2008 election. Silver’s model missed only one state in Obama’s 2010 victory, and it correctly predicted every Senate race.

Conservative cable news host Joe Scarborough criticized Silver "Anybody that thinks that this race is anything but a tossup right now is such an ideologue, they should be kept away from typewriters, computers, laptops and microphones for the next 10 days, because they're jokes," he said.

Nate Silver responded
@fivethirtyeight
.@JoeNBC: "If you think it's a toss-up, let's bet. If Obama wins, you donate $1,000 to the American Red Cross. If Romney wins, I do. Deal? "

Dick Morris predicts Romney will win in a landslide. “This is not going to be a close election,” said Morris, a New York Times best-selling author and a Fox News political analyst. “This is not going to keep you up all night.”

Some more criticism of Silver in a great article in deadspin http://updates.deadspin.com/post/34780905169/nate-silvers-braying-idiot-detractors-show-that-being

David Brooks criticized Silver

from deadspin

"If there’s one thing we know, it’s that even experts with fancy computer models are terrible at predicting human behavior. Financial firms with zillions of dollars have spent decades trying to create models that will help them pick stocks, and they have gloriously failed."

"Brooks’s criticism was general, against his own impulse to put each individual poll under a microscope. But other detractors are focusing on Silver himself, particularly conservative writers and pundits who refuse to accept that Mitt Romney’s election is unlikely. The most laughable of these is Dean Chambers, who forecasts the election on UnSkewed Polls by adjusting each poll so that Romney is in the lead. Chambers thinks that Silver’s slight stature is evidence of his bias:"

"Nate Silver is a man of very small stature, a thin and effeminate man with a soft-sounding voice"

Sam Wang, a biophysicist and neuroscientist, runs Princeton Election Consortium. Wang’s model nailed the electoral vote count in 2004, and missed it in 2008 by just one, making his track record even better than Silver’s. Wang’s forecasting Obama’s re-election chances at 98 percent

Dick Morris, conservative pollsters and pundits or Nate Silver, Sabermetrics nerd, and the modelers? I am going with Silver

images

tumblr_mctue0vzIz1rzr7en.jpg

It takes an especially dishonest candidate to simply turn up the volume on a lie and keep repeating it. -NYT

The ad is cynical campaign politics at its worst. -GM

:fischy:

Too bad it's ending. It's been fun watching that fabulous smile and the legions of baboons up close. I love you America.

Chambers thinks that Silver’s slight stature is evidence of his bias:"

"Nate Silver is a man of very small stature, a thin and effeminate man with a soft-sounding voice"

burn.jpg

The Economist endorses Obama http://www.economist.com/news/leade...sadly-mitt-romney-does-not-fit-bill-which-one

They endorsed Reagan, Dole, George W. back in 2000. I started reading the economist back in my teens from picking up issues from my Dad. My dad is probably pretty typical of the conservative readership for this magazine. If a free market magazine like this endorses Obama I think Mittens is in trouble, very poor campaign by Romney/Paul, you dont get to be governor of Massachusetts by being an anti-abortion conservative ideologue. He should have stayed away from social issues and the whole Israel/Iran mess. I like this quote from the magazine, I dont know if I agree with it but it seems to sum up the problems alot of republican campaigns face.

"Republicans have become a party of Torquemadas, forcing representatives to sign pledges never to raise taxes, to dump the chairman of the Federal Reserve and to embrace an ever more Southern-fried approach to social policy. Under President Romney, new conservative Supreme Court justices would try to overturn Roe v Wade, returning abortion policy to the states. This newspaper yearns for the more tolerant conservatism of Ronald Reagan, where “small government” meant keeping the state out of people’s bedrooms as well as out of their businesses. Mr Romney shows no sign of wanting to revive it."

"Many of The Economist’s readers, especially those who run businesses in America, may well conclude that nothing could be worse than another four years of Mr Obama. We beg to differ. For all his businesslike intentions, Mr Romney has an economic plan that works only if you don’t believe most of what he says. That is not a convincing pitch for a chief executive. And for all his shortcomings, Mr Obama has dragged America’s economy back from the brink of disaster, and has made a decent fist of foreign policy. So this newspaper would stick with the devil it knows, and re-elect him."

Ann Coulter said at the 2011 Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) – “If we don’t run Chris Christie, Romney will be the nominee and we will lose.”

Last edited:
maybe gary johnson can pull of the biggest upset of all time.

Got Obama last week at -170. Now he is at -380.

Glad to see Obama is leading like that. Stuff I have heard and seen led me to believe it is very close with Romney the slight favorite.

No wagers down myself but I'd like to see Obama win.

Of course these odds can be totally fucked up. I don't think I ever saw anything as crazy with line movement jumping all over the place as the 2004 US presidential election. I do not look at political betting odds as gospel.

But still, I'd rather see it this way than reversed.

Nate Silver was money in the last presidential election. He was money in the World Cup also.

I don't like to say it is a lock on anything and I have done 0 research on the subject. BUT with that said I will say that in the lowest income parts of Dade county Florida,I have talked to several people that waited in lines 4 hours to vote yesterday. They were providing pizza to those who were waiting to make sure they didn't leave. If Florida is the deciding state, I would wager the max that Obama will win this election.

P.S. I didn't read anything in this thread, so I don't know if my post is relevant at all to the thread. Just looked at title.

Pin just came down to 350 from 410. Donked ofd a ton last night at 350 354 357