NHL 2019-20 is underway

• Start date
  • Replies 141 Comments
  • Views 8,844 Views
Even though he lost tonight in a game in which Montreal decidedly outshot Philly, two things are true about Keith Kinkaid -

1) He is the only goalie ever to have his first three starts decided by shootout (he lost the first two).

2) His wife is extremely and I mean EXTREMELY hot.

It's weird that Bobrovsky isn't in Florida and it looks like he is sucking in Florida.

That's too bad.

*isn't in Columbus.

My bad.

:hattip:

My boys beat another team of flaming faggots tonight as Hart steals the show.

Easy peasy.

Just thinking, Wayne Gretzky was this huge, amazing, freakishly, statistically never-seen-anything-like-it-before-or-since part of my life. But obviously time keeps flying and, to more and more people he's just a historical figure. It's just like, yeah, I've heard of him. Yeah, I was 3 when he retired.

That's the way these things go.

Just thinking, while I saw him play a ton of times - many a Team Canada and I used to love to watch those Edmonton teams who obviously had many deep runs in the playoffs - I only ever saw him play live once.

I believe he was 11.

That Eichel is an impressive player. He seems a bit of a selfish player, tries to do too much himself imo. (maybe the stupid coaches tell him to do that). But his balance, composure, shot, wow!

What doesn't help Gretzky's legacy is the fact that his highlight reels are some of the most underwhelming of all. He just knew when and where to shoot but he was never flashy. Unlike Lemieux's reels where he looks freakishly virtuosic even by today's standards.

So yeah, I think it won't be long before kids start dismissing The Great One and his crummy wooden stick as relics of an unrelatable past.

They all had wooden sticks..

But yeah I’d prob prefer watch Mogilny or Hull.

6D862AAA-A001-4906-9F1B-1C07347C2FAC.png

Great Canadian kid. Coulda been the next gretz.

What doesn't help Gretzky's legacy is the fact that his highlight reels are some of the most underwhelming of all. He just knew when and where to shoot but he was never flashy.

I guess it's all about what highlights you're watching - and what you consider most fun to watch.

For me, in hockey, there is nothing better than tic-tac-toe passing. The puck movement of those Oilers teams - with Gretzky as the creative maestro - I've never seen anything touch it.

But then sometimes it was how he would wait to make the pass. And wait. What's he doing? But then, there it was.

Guy was a genius. Which is funny because I've seen him interviewed a zillion times and I have never come away thinking, 'My gawd, what a brilliant, brilliant man.'

But on the ice . . .

Just thinking too, the one time I saw Gretzky play live, he lost.

They used to have a yearly tournament in Brampton for ~11 year olds. Whatever that is. Bantam? PeeWee? Not sure.

Anyway teams from all around Southern Ontario would come. My family would often take a couple kids from some outlying town in as boarders for the week.

So the year Gretzky was there for Brantford, he was already getting attention. There were articles and reports about him turning up all over. Everyone was well aware who Wayne Gretzky was.

We went and watched him play the Oshawa team. Gretzky scored 5 goals and his team lost 6-5.

Gretz was born the same year as my brother. I'm 2 years younger. I'm not positive how old he was in that tourney but I guess I was 9 or 10. 1973-ish.

thats cool. I remember as a little kid I knew all the big name hockey players, even the Canadians. Remember one time riding a cab with my parents and impressing the cab driver with my vast hockey knowledge :laugh: Can't even remember now who it is I knew then
Yeah, love the tic tac toe passing. But will still take our Soviet teams of the 70's and 80's over anybody :hey:

Gretzky was the Canadian pre-social-media version of Lebron James. The hype was going on and everyone knew he was coming from the time he was like 10.

It could have been a recipe for disaster but clearly, he disappointed no one.

Leafs continue to thrive under in-season replacement coach Sheldon Keefe.

14-4-1 since the change.

How does that look on Mike Babcock who led that same roster to a 9-10-4 start?

Ima say, not particularly good.

My favorite hockey non hockey name: Sonny Milano

Kovalchuk is our best forward. I dunno whether to facepalm or cheer.

I told you. I'm not sure why everybody's acting like he's useless :dunno: