NHL 2018/19 - season of the Maple Leaf

• Start date
  • Replies 262 Comments
  • Views 19,960 Views
9 goals on 17 shots. For those of you who paid attention in grade 2 math, that's more than a goal every other shot.

Leafs have their best test of the young season on Saturday night so we'll see about that.

@washington

:handshake:

I only see Messi in World Cups, and he doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Always looks upset and fucking up. seems like an asshole

You know he plays every week for his club, 563 goals in 648 matches

The new Messi?

I dunno but he has so much talent around him, I maintain my prediction of a mid-80's Oilers type of offensive production for the Leafs. Easily over 4 goals a game on average, maybe even 350+ total.

We used to say that Gretzky's records would never be beaten unless the game changed. Well, the game's changed.

Funny tone-deaf bit from '93 Habs alumni and notorious enforcer Mario Roberge last night. Every member of the '93 roster was introduced one by one with a big spotlight shining on them while the announcer said their name. Most guys just stood there and smiled awkwardly, one pulled a timid dance move, but Rogerge grinned like a child and punched the air. 😅

(The commentators in that vid are confused at first because Roberge hadn't had any ice time prior to the fight. He was literally brought out just for a 3rd period fight. 😅)

We used to say that Gretzky's records would never be beaten unless the game changed. Well, the game's changed.

I think it has. I know the goalie equipment has been made a bit smaller but I also think attitudes and strategies have changed.

I could see a cascade effect where star players make more noise for themselves on the ice - who better than the American Auston Matthews? - and they get more opportunities for mainstream recognition - like spreads in Vogue magazine or maybe appearances on SNL or whatever - yada yada - more borderline fans get sucked in - yada yada - there's more money for the cap and escrow.

Maybe Gary Bettman stops worrying so much about lying and spinning how 5 goals a game is exactly what the league wants and actually smells the coffee and embraces the change and uses his influence to further it.

Or maybe this discussion is all premature.

The Vegas Golden Knights are not quite off to the same start as last year. Currently 1-4 with the worst goal differential in the league.

Not quite the same start.

Pacioretty prolly thought he was moving on to bigger and better things when he was traded to VGK. #oops

I didn't figure Vegas was gonna have a great season, but you pricks are overblowing whatever it is you think you are seeing

I'm just glad the Leafs have been able to carry on in the post-Plekanec era.

Who, you may ask, leads the lead in goal differential?

No not the Leafs. It's the New Jersey Devils. Who have played 2 games.

The fuck is up with that?

Well it appears that Fleury pitched a shutout today and the Golden Knights are back in the win column.

Meanwhile the countdown is on to tonight's Leafs matchup against the Caps. Half an hour. If you are wondering if there is any excitement in this area right now about the Maple Leafs, the answer is:

Yes.

Leafs looked kinda crappy during the parts I was watching but hey.

Know what I mean?

Yeah you know what I mean.

At one point last night, the Edmonton Oilers had scored 9 goals for the season - and Connor McDavid had 9 points.

42477070_10161126838035457_329629424183934976_n.jpg

So John Ziegler died.

Odd. To me, it feels like he was Commissioner much longer than Garry Bettman - but he was not. Not even close. 15 years versus 25 and counting.

(Actually Ziegler was not Commissioner - he was President. But whatever, they had the same job.)

I guess my perception is such because Zeigler was there through the times I was paying the most attention. 1977 - 1993. The age of dynasties. Habs, Islanders, Oilers.

A lot of great, exciting stuff happened. Not all of it good. Alan Eagleson anyone? The Bettman era seems way more sanitized.

Ziegler never seemed to like hockey all that much. Same could be said of Bettman I suppose. Whatever.

What do you say? I was not a huge fan at the time but RIP.

iu