• Replies 37 Comments
  • Views 3,555 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
It's not fair that a women's curling medal counts for as much as a men's. The women are so inferior.

I am reasonably happy that Canada's ladies have a slight upper hand right now in their semi-final. But it is a brutal game.

About the only thing you can say is, at least the ladies teams are competitive with each other. Because both teams are trading mistake after mistake, the score stays fairly close.

Why curling?

It is one of the events where the standard is actually comparable.
If you had said, Ice Hockey I might have agreed.

No way. Women don't try shots that are as difficult. They can't even dream of the complex strategies the men use. It's like comparing Rembrandt to fingerpainting.

And then, even with their simplified game, they make many times more mistakes. Kevin Martin's team would CRUSH the women. It would be painful to watch.

But whatever. When I posted this I was getting exasperated because today's game was particularly brutal. Normally I don't watch much women's curling but because the medal has equal value I have followed this tournament. I will go back to not watching afterwards.

But Canada is in the gold medal game so I can't complain too much.

Women's curling is only a sport when they had to wear the kilts..... these new outfits do nothing for me. Bring back the Kilts I say.

I have to agree with Dunder, Muddy. Of all sports, you pick curling?? Isn't this almost universal?

I don't know what you mean. I don't know what to add to what I already said. Men are WAY better than women at curling. They have attempted a few Battles of the sexes over the years but it doesn't work because the women get tromped and they have to make special rules and the men stop trying and it just ends up a farce.

But I'm sure the example Dunder brought up of the discrepancy between men's and women's hockey is more extreme.

Do you think the women's basketball team would come close against the men's? Isn't it true in almost EVERY sport? Honestly, I think the disparity is probably smaller in curling than most other sports.

I eagerly await tomorrow's comment, this feature has legs.

I agree with the other guys....you could say this about every sing sport out there. Curling the gap would seem to be much smaller in my eyes just due to the nature of the sport. Curling is much less physical than so many other sports that have both men and women. Men are bigger, stronger and faster all of which don't really matter much when it comes to curling but is huge when it comes to just about any other sport out there.

I think that if muddy has a problem with curling, he should have an issue with women in the olympics in general. Just sayin'.

No, no, no. You guys just don't know curling. I have been watching it for 25+ years. I am an expert.

The problem is, the difference is not quantifiable. But I will quantify it for you anyway based on my expertise.

Let's look at something quantifiable, the 1000m long-track.

Men's gold medal time - 1:08.94

Women - 1:16:56

Now that is a reasonable gap. I am fine with those medals having equal value.

Now if I were to apply my extreme expertise to curling to metaphorically illustrate the difference it would be

Men curlers - 1:08:94

Women - oh about 3 minutes.

Don't argue with me about curling. For the love of Pete.

How can the women be so bad at curling...they are sliding a rock down ice? Its about strategy and thinking more than anything. Why would the women be so bad at it?

Mudcat, what do you think about women drivers?

I think women drivers are better than men as a group. I believe women are more safety conscious where men are more concerned with speed. Safety consciousness is more important IMO. From what I have seen, insurance rates support my opinion that women are better drivers.

How can the women be so bad at curling...they are sliding a rock down ice? Its about strategy and thinking more than anything. Why would the women be so bad at it?

They just are. They don't have anywhere near the precision and power with their shots and they don't have the sweeping strength. That's just the way it is. Watch a thousand hours of it then we'll talk!