• Start date
  • Replies 22 Comments
  • Views 2,168 Views

Tron

Since
Jan 28, 2010
Score
Tokens
Why did you build a MLB model as opposed to say a college basketball model or a NBA model like Voulgaris did?

Just curious.

Sweet dreams, pal.

MLB has 162 games and just 30 teams. with easiest and most readily available data. If I was gonna go through all the trouble and was smart enough to do it. I'd start with MLB.

I had a friend who was a friend of Steve Forte, who would frequently talk to about who was doing what to make gobs of money in the gambling world. Forte had told the guy how a couple groups were cleaning up in MLB with computer models. My friend knew I liked to program, and he kept telling me, over the course of a couple years, that I should work on baseball. Eventually I did. I tinkered with it for a couple seasons until I stumbled upon a viable approach.

I really came at it from a place of zero knowledge. I had no idea that anyone made money in ways other than modeling. I'm kind of grateful for that, but it is kind of silly. I was approaching one of the hardest angles possible while there was a lot of easy money out there.

Cool story. So it seems you never even considered doing it in another sport. MLB does seem like the most logical sport to model but I know that Voulgaris made a ton of cash at one time modeling NBA totals.

very cool and interesting story. I'd like to hear more.

hoops Totals would be ideal, but the way most books are nowadays, you are lucky to see them hung a few hrs before the game. in Bases you can get overnights

Mr. X, how do you factor in defense into your models?

also, bullpen historical data seems to be completely random to me. unless your last name is Mariano Riveria. But middle relief guys seems to be un quantifiable and very much dependent upon situational type stuff. But they decide more and more games every year. how do you deal with that headache?

Boooriiing!

Baseball Smaseball.

VEGGIE POT PIE BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!

00021.jpg
!!!!!!!!

I know, I know. You're waiting for that fucker to cook and it takes like 50 minutes?

So did you order the veggie pot pie? :clueless:

Five minutes and thirty two seconds. BITCHES!!!!!!

and......

I'm putting extra broccoli on it....

YES!!!! Extra broccoli. Total win.

broccoli makes everything better.

good night.

Mr X are you afraid of Daft giving you the Jelly Finger in New Orleans?

Mr X are you afraid of Daft giving you the Jelly Finger in New Orleans?

I'm all about the physical affection. If it happens, great, but I'm not going to stress over it. As you know, I'm less attractive in person that the select images posted on here would suggest. Daft will probably move on to greener pastures.

Would you say I'm sexier IRL than pictures? I would.

Daft, call me.

Would you say I'm sexier IRL than pictures? I would.

Daft, call me.