Moving to N. California!!! ???

• Start date
  • Replies 31 Comments
  • Views 2,859 Views
Actually, "Brock's" post was the most accurate in the thread.

Absolutely hysterical that the first town that people recommend is Hayward.

Tomato, understanding sarcasm: You're doing it wrong.

Tomato, understanding sarcasm: You're doing it wrong.

Why would you be sarcastic with Muse? He seems like an ok guy. If Brock asked I would see the motivation.

:dunno:

The words affordable and California can't be used in the same sentence.

Boys, I was born in the Valley in the early 70's.

Call me.

The words affordable and California can't be used in the same sentence.

no sh1t guy

welcome to 15 posts ago when i said it

when i say it there is a fukkin problem though

salud

no sh1t guy

welcome to 15 posts ago when i said it

when i say it there is a fukkin problem though

salud

This Landslider is a fukkin assassin!!!

great, a ghost pretending to be Brock Landers. aim high iifold

My first thought was it would be too expensive and maybe it will be. I'm just trying to find out. I guess "affordable" is vague and subjective, so I should probably at least define what affordable is to us. At this point, I'm not even sure. As far as pay, I'd make considerably more in CA, just not sure how much more. I'm in the process of trying to find that out. But even if I get top dollar for my job and my wife gets a decent paying job in her line of work I don't think we'll top 150,000 combined.

We started looking into Ft. Bragg because someone recommended it and I figured the further from the Bay area, the more affordable. The only real problem I have with it is that it's so far from any major cities and thats where the majority of my job opportunities would be. So maybe I'd be better off looking at rentals closer to the bay area. It leaves in the same position however, knowing nothing about the area. I would prefer to not end up living in Hayward, or any comparables.

I though you were gonna move into the Highlands. I'm sure 150k a year would have you living like a king.

Ya, we really like Denver and were looking into after we'd visited there a few times, the main problem is that in Denver I couldn't make near as much as I would in Cali. In Cali, nurses are unionized and make a significant amount more per hr and anything over 8hrs/day is OT as opposed to 40 per week, so that makes a big difference. I'd make more in Denver than OKC but not near as much as Cali.

One things for certain, we're leaving OKC. The shortlist right now is somewhere NorCal #1, Seattle b/c her family (last in my book), Denver and potentially somewhere along the Oregon coast but that's remote. Denver would be the cheapest and I hear they've started building the light rail out to the ski resorts, I would just make significantly less.

Why aren't you looking at San Diego? Much better than Fort Bragg.

Tomato's college friend teaches in Fort Bragg. It's far from civilization (over 2 hours to the Bay Area), cold (doesn't reach 70 degrees), and tiny (6000 people).

No real reason other than I figured it would be considerably cheaper in Ft. Bragg than any other coastal cities in CA and it's a small coastal town. My main problem with it is how far it is to another major city.

Last edited:
We're not a big fan of Northern West Coast (SF/Vancouver) weather. Clouds and rain get us down.

GL Muse