• Views 3,504 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
Saw just a couple movies this week

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - very typical Terry Gilliam experience for me. Interesting to look at and quite artistic. Vague meandering story without a lot of point. I always want to like Terry Gilliam more than I actually do. He's okay. I give this a 5.2 out of 10.

Requiem For a Dream (2000) - This is a good movie. 7 out of 10. There is a dead horse I always beat when there is discussion of this film and I will beat it again now. Ellen Burstyn was incredible. Absolutely incredible. Her character was complex to begin with - and then it underwent a significant transformation - which she acted to perfection every step of the way. She didn't care if she had to be ugly or act like a pathetic wingnut. She just fucking went for it.

That was the year they gave the Oscar for Best Actress to Julia fucking Roberts. For Erin Brockovich. It was basic competent acting - I'm not denying that. But Ellen Burstyn was spectacular.

Injustice!! Not the only time the Oscar voters have done something incredibly stupid but it is a big one, holy shit.

We plugged away some more with Season One of The Wire. Things are definitely beginning to warm up, and I'm getting excited to watch countless more hours of this show as we play catch up.

Requiem is just such a super movie. The story, acting, visuals and score come together to create a pure masterpiece. I've seen it no less than 20 times and never tire of it.

Burstyn :bowdown: !!!!!!!!!!!!

HARRY, I'M GOING TO BE ON THE TE-LUH-VI-SHUN!

I totally agree with Muddy's review of Requiem. I'd give it a higher rating as well. 8.5 for me. It made my Best Movies of the Decade list. Aronofsky is a great director. However I also liked The Fountain which almost no one normal that I know enjoyed. Any time this happens I do not worry. This tells me that I was right and they have small, inferior minds, so I have no problem with it.

Haven't seen a Gilliam movie since 12 Monkeys. Am I missing anything?

I totally agree with Muddy's review of Requiem. I'd give it a higher rating as well. 8.5 for me. It made my Best Movies of the Decade list. Aronofsky is a great director. However I also liked The Fountain which almost no one normal that I know enjoyed. Any time this happens I do not worry. This tells me that I was right and they have small, inferior minds, so I have no problem with it.

Haven't seen a Gilliam movie since 12 Monkeys. Am I missing anything?

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas

Not positive but I think Fear and Loathing came out first. 12 Monkeys in '95 or '96...Fear and Loathing...'94?

Or was it 97?

Yeah I love that movie. Probably in my top 5 of all time.

12 Monkeys 1995
Fear and Loathing 1998

Wow, I must have been under a lot of influence...

Good call, great flick

Just came back from seeing Iron Man 2 in the main hall of Le Grand Rex. Cool place, silly entertainment. 5 out of 10, but the good kind of 5 out of 10.

I can't bring myself to watch Iron Man 2 when the first Iron man was so dreadfully bad

:clueless: How was it so bad? I mean, how was it any worse than the average superhero movie? What do you expect out of a superhero movie?

:clueless: How was it so bad? I mean, how was it any worse than the average superhero movie? What do you expect out of a superhero movie?

The two batman movies were superb in comparison and this is now the gold standard for all superhero movies...

Sure, sure, I agree. But then I guess you also hated the X-Men and Spiderman movies? Same kind of silly entertsinment that Iron Man was. I enjoyed them all, with the latest Batman flicks being obviously more serious efforts.

saw Iron Man2 and thought it was good. not oscar good, but comic book movie good. In the teaser at the end they find the hammer of Thor that has fallen in the desert setting up the next marvel movie. Also just watched Ratatouille, which was ugh.

I was a huge Marvel Comics nerd growing up. So it surprises me that I hate most of their movies. I can't put my finger on it.

My favorite one by far was the 2nd XMen movie. It was very dark.

Other than that? Uhhhhh....

we need raydog in this thread.

saw The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus last week also. i thought it is going to be a cool trippy movie (because i saw the trailer and thought it was pretty cool), but the movie turned out to be really bad. very boring, really hard to watch. i would give it 2/10. they have few very interesting artsy scenes in the imagination land, but the movie is just really bad.

you guys should watch the movie "Nanking! Nanking!". this is not a date movie and it is pretty long. sort of like chinese version of the schindler's list.

Requiem For a Dream (2000) is a very nice movie. but it is one of those movies you just watch once. still very good. i give it 8/10

I can't bring myself to watch Iron Man 2 when the first Iron man was so dreadfully bad

i like iron man. it is not boring. i have very short attention span now with all the gambling, so i tend to go for these action movies.

12 Monkeys 1995
Fear and Loathing 1998

Wow, I must have been under a lot of influence...

Good call, great flick

both of these movies are great. i think brad pitt movies usually are pretty good. fight club and snatch to mention a few.

johnny depp kinda sucked in recent disney movies. alice in wonderland sucked. pirates of caribean sucked. oh he is also in dr parnarniss imaginarium...that movie sucked too.