Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,722 Comments
  • Views 927,542 Views
Get Back (2021) Disney+

*******SPOILER*******

Halfway through this and, while it is undoubtedly a slow burn, it’s like nothing I’ve ever seen.

To see how Lennon and McCartney looked at each other while working on songs kind of took my breath away. It’s like they were related. They adored each other.

Harrison, so far, is a very frustrated member of the band. I’m sure it wasn’t easy for him (being someone who wrote songs alone) up against the greatest pop songwriting duo of all time.

But it’s very clear to me now that the Beatles broke up more because of Harrison than Ono. Her constant close presence was a nuisance no doubt but Lennon’s pleasant soul and laid back attitude offset that.

Also, watching McCartney come up with “Get Back” while waiting for Lennon to arrive is incredible to watch. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten to watch someone come up with a hit song organically right before my eyes.

Ringo looks VERY bored for the first hour or so of this documentary but he comes around.

this new show Mayor of Kingstown, it's good, I've only watched a few episodes but they've all been top, a little bit of The Wire vibe

about one of those shit town usa, decrepit place where all old industries are dying, staying alive through the incarceration business, protagonist dude is a mover in this industry, in the city, in the streets, thus being called popularly the mayor

Get Back (2021) Disney+

*******SPOILER*******

Halfway through this and, while it is undoubtedly a slow burn, it’s like nothing I’ve ever seen.

To see how Lennon and McCartney looked at each other while working on songs kind of took my breath away. It’s like they were related. They adored each other.

Harrison, so far, is a very frustrated member of the band. I’m sure it wasn’t easy for him (being someone who wrote songs alone) up against the greatest pop songwriting duo of all time.

But it’s very clear to me now that the Beatles broke up more because of Harrison than Ono. Her constant close presence was a nuisance no doubt but Lennon’s pleasant soul and laid back attitude offset that.

Also, watching McCartney come up with “Get Back” while waiting for Lennon to arrive is incredible to watch. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten to watch someone come up with a hit song organically right before my eyes.

Ringo looks VERY bored for the first hour or so of this documentary but he comes around.
Watched about half as well. Several goosebumps-inducing moments including the birth of Get Back with Paul strumming his bass like a guitar.

Seeing their songwriting process is fascinating because they were such a well-oiled machine by then. Tons of chemistry even though they were visibly tired of each other on a personal level.

I'm amazed by how they talk in broad terms rather than technical ones as they each give their input to shape the songs. Most bands would not be nearly as interesting to watch IMO.

Peter Jackson said that his initial rough cut was 18 hours long. I already know that I wanna see the other 10.

Female comedian isn’t an oxymoron anymore:

Pen 15

Sex Lives of College Girls

fonny

Watching "Hot Ones" on YouTube. Good format, early episodes mostly musicians but also some actors/comedians.

I went on a Hot Ones binge about a year ago. Good stuff.

He def pulls stuff out of these people that he wouldn't get if they weren't eating 100k+ Scoville wings.

His questions are super insightful as well. Can't think of anyone else that does such a deep dive on his guests before meeting them.

C’mon C’mon (2021)

During the first few minutes I thought Rotten Tomatoes had duped me into watching another bad Joaquin Phoenix film (as they had done in 2013’s her).

But things quickly turned around. It’s extremely well acted and thoughtful. It made me ask myself some questions. Phoenix nails the performance and the child actor will wow you with his chops. The ending will pull at your heartstrings (if you have any).

8 Trons out of 10.

Don’t look up

Idunno about these netflix movies. They got a quantity not quality thing going on.

The director/crew really wanted to get his message across.

General public are dummies.

It gets pounded the entire 2.5 hours.

Maybe this will wake some people up?

Didn’t Idiocracy already do this?

Tough look for Leo.

Don’t look up

Idunno about these netflix movies. They got a quantity not quality thing going on.

Tough look for Leo.
I’m cancelling Netflix after I watch the final season of Ozark.

Don’t look up

Tough look for Leo.
Just watched it last night and not as extreme as Idiocracy but yes LOLing. Difference here is some high end actors participating in it so figured might be seriously good. MrsM is the one who handles all the viewing potential and lately she has stated really hard of late to find good stuff on Netflix.

Blitty this time I think you're onto something instead of just being on something! :pipe:

Just watched it last night and not as extreme as Idiocracy but yes LOLing. Difference here is some high end actors participating in it so figured might be seriously good. MrsM is the one who handles all the viewing potential and lately she has stated really hard of late to find good stuff on Netflix.

Blitty this time I think you're onto something instead of just being on something! :pipe:
It got 55% at Rotten Tomatoes. Thanks boys I won’t waste my time watching this.

My little sister is visiting from Sweden (there for grad school since August) and we just crushed the latest season of Great British Bake Off.

They're getting pretty boring - 6.3/10

GBBO became a pandemic watch for me. I hate the hosts. I just find them annoying. There’s big drama about them actually impeding the actual contest.