Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,722 Comments
  • Views 927,090 Views
I'm about halfway through First Cow. It's interesting. It's not what I was expecting.

I get a movie called First Cow with Spud from Trainspotting - my brain goes off in certain directions.

But it's not that.

Palm Springs on Hulu is worth a watch if you're into that kind of thing. It's a comedy starring Andy Samberg and it keeps you laughing. I could see it being especially enjoyable with a significant other - cuddling, giggling together and all that.

7.8 Steviestars

I'm about halfway through First Cow. It's interesting. It's not what I was expecting.

I get a movie called First Cow with Spud from Trainspotting - my brain goes off in certain directions.

But it's not that.

No, First Cow is definitely not an adventure in quirkiness.

My first thought when it was done: I bet the critics rating at RT is at least 25 points higher than the regular-people rating. So I checked. How bout forty? 96 versus 56.

Justified starting Timothy Olyphant as a US Marshall on Hulu is quite solid.

7.5 hotmoltenmagmaballs

Last edited:
No, First Cow is definitely not an adventure in quirkiness.

My first thought when it was done: I bet the critics rating at RT is at least 25 points higher than the regular-people rating. So I checked. How bout forty? 96 versus 56.

This quote could be applied equally to I'm Thinking of Ending Things which I just finished. In that case, the ratings turned out to be: critics - 82% and peeps - 47%.

I like it though. Okay the last ~15 minutes, I found fizzly - but I really liked most of it.

Charlie Kaufman is always a trip.

New Girl > Friends

fight me
It's soo bad. I actually watched it for a while, until one episode where this quirky(?) idiot is talking down to some seemingly decent woman. And we are supposed be made to feel like she's the good guy because her quirkiness is so cute. ..Go fuck yourself new girl. You're a pointless twat and your male friends are bores, including the token black guy :hattip:

It's soo bad. I actually watched it for a while, until one episode where this quirky(?) idiot is talking down to some seemingly decent woman. And we are supposed be made to feel like she's the good guy because her quirkiness is so cute. ..Go fuck yourself new girl. You're a pointless twat and your male friends are bores, including the token black guy :hattip:

you should check out, happy endings... you might like it

No, come on, Seth Rogen.

*TONAL SPOILER ALERT*

It has a few amusing moments along the way - and you can see how they are trying to lampoon real current events at times - which I don't mind in principle - but there is just too much contrivance and inconsistency in peoples' reactions to things. Very heavy-handed.

And then in the end it becomes this sappy, schmaltzy puddle of piss.

:thumbsdown:

that's too small of a town to have that many problems

Apparently the creators of the show (Fargo) agree as this season is set in Kansas City.

But who knows? I'm only a couple episodes in. Maybe they end up in Fargo before it's over.

One of the characters in the new season of Fargo is from Minnesota. She has the accent. So even though we're in Kansas City, that brings some Fargo-y-ness to things.

That character is played by Jessie Buckley who I have seen in a few things now and I think her acting career is definitely going places. She does a great job with the accent. (She's Irish.) Her character is fascinating and is stealing the show.

Overall I'm finding it really good, this new season.

Fargo_Jessie_Buckley.jpg

Two episodes into You on Netflix.

Solid, gripping, good suspense.

I like this shit.

7.8 Steviestars

Last edited:
I watched the first couple episodes of The Umbrella Academy and I am finding it interesting enough to go forward with.