Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,722 Comments
  • Views 927,311 Views
Isle of Dogs (2018)

This is not specifically part of my yearly Oscar quest - it is not in my must-see categories - but it is up for Best Animated feature so, why not?

I'm not sure how I feel about Wes Anderson. I don't dislike him but I don't want to say I actually like him. I generally watch his stuff. Usually just once. A very common thought I have while watching is, ah, he's being funny right now. But I almost never laugh.

But it's not horrible either. It's not like someone who's painfully unfunny, it's just . . . whatever. He manages to pull together some good casts, I'll say that. Lots of well-respected white people work with Wes Anderson.

So Isle of Dogs is an animated thing and I have to say: I like it better than most of his other stuff. On deeper thought, yes, it is my favorite Wes Anderson movie.

It's okay.

6.8 out of 10

iu

Hoaxed (2019)

An insider's look at the Fake News phenomenon and the consequences of media misinformation, with interviews from those who have been accused of spreading it themselves.

Walked away very impressed. Highly recommend for the mildly skeptical amongst us.

My second sigplay on these Oscars is decided. Glenn Close for Best Actress . . . I feel pretty solid on this and kind of expect the line to move so I'm grabbing it now.

Since that post, the line has moved from -383 to -436. So I hope my many followers were paying attention. Up in you's face'ings! and whatnot.

:handshake

So I have to figure out some way to watch the movie Roma. I suppose I could get myself to the subway and head downtown at some point. Looks like it's still on in at least one Toronto theatre.

But what the hell? You'd think the Best Picture favorite would find it's way to the regular d/l sites.

Getting up off my butt ---> it's not really my style.

I just tried TPB - which wasn't working at all for a long time. There is something there now - and a search for Roma does bring up a couple of options - but it seems kind of fishy. There are no comments. For a movie showing that many seeders and leechers there should be some comments. But nothing. Should I trust this thing?

It's on Netflix here. Not in Canada?

:dunno:

I would have thought if it was on Netflix it would be available for d/l. I feel like I have watched other Netflix stuff.

Apparently the show Supernatural has hit the 300 episodes mark. I can't remember anyone ever mentioning anything about that show ever.

I saw an ad for the new twighlight zone... got me wondering if I should watch the original? I love shows with a little supernatural bent. A little research shows that it might hold up, but that could just be the reddit nerds. Maybe I'll give it a go.

I thought Season 1 of Kidding was very good by the way. Not flawless but well done. Really good cast. Lots to think about in there and the dialogue is inspired at times. Michel Gondry brings the flava with his stuff.

Very good.

iu

I saw an ad for the new twighlight zone... got me wondering if I should watch the original? I love shows with a little supernatural bent. A little research shows that it might hold up, but that could just be the reddit nerds. Maybe I'll give it a go.

:yup:

The Outer Limits was good also

I don't know but I think Transformers, Spiderman movies have been discussed on the forum in the past. Maybe my hunch is wrong and none of the GLers are that crazy. But, given all the TV these guys watch I would be surprised if none of them fit the category. Let's see if they out themselves like those butthurt youtube respondents.

If we have any serious comics fans here, I haven't noticed it. RJ must know.

Pretty funny rant, though.

I don't know that I ever read a superhero comic book at any age.

I remember getting into Richie Rich comix during a trip my family took out to the east coast. It was a little kick I went on for about 3 weeks when I was 9.

That's about it.

I think my recent review of the Black Panther movie makes some of the same points Maher is making, albeit more gently.

I declare myself absolved.

If one is fan of comics-based movies, it's the same thing. And if you are a Star Wars fan, it applies to you too.