Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,722 Comments
  • Views 927,186 Views
I love Newsroom. It sadly has a short life expectancy though. Episode 3 ripped (factually) on the Tea Party. I occasionally feel compelled to google things I see/hear on TV shows, and Newsroom is pretty good on the fact check. Episode 4 ripped on the GOP, Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Michelle Bachman... Factually.

But then, Bill Maher has lasted 5 years on HBO.

Veep is very good also. The collision of reality with sheer absurdity is delightful. It's also very fast paced though... you can't blink or you'll miss something.

I am all caught up with the Newsroom. I've seen the first 4 episodes. I think it is a real gem. It is rare to find a show that creates that kind of exhilaration. At least it does for me - and it does it repeatedly. And it has intelligent important social commentary. And some good actors. And above average character/relationship development. And despite what I said at first, it actually is pretty funny. Every once in awhile it will go for some sitcommy humor and that falls flat. But there is a lot of humor in the regular dialogue (even if they do let it get just a little too glib/smooth at times.)

But overall, a real gem.

I have seen a couple episodes of Veep now and I am only lukewarm on it. Basically it has one joke and it is going to keep telling it indefinitely: that being Vice President is a toothless, humiliating kind of lackey position.

And that's about it. She goes around having her pride crapped on time after time.

Within that limited framework, they generate a few laughs. It's still funnier than any live action network comedy I am aware of.

Just not sure how long I will stick with it.

I've heard nothing but great things about Newsroom. My cable bill may be growing soon. Oyt.

Shut Up And Play The Hits, a documentary about the planned disbanding of LCD Soundsystem, but really a portrait of its abnormally normal leader, Frank Murphy. Most of the movie is made up of footage of their last show at MSG.

This was slightly uncomfortable to watch. Frank Murphy is so concerned with being a good person, with being liked, and he's such a control freak that he kills a good thing before it even reaches its peak popularity.

The whole movie is so earnest and Frank Murphy is so adamant about looking like an average Joe (even though he really isn't - not a fan of his particular style of musicianship but you have to admit that he's pretty fucking good at what he does) that he comes off as a bit of a nutcase.

Odd character.

Question to Frank - doesn't being kind all the time get a bit boring?

6.5 Matty Rains

Terrible band. Their biggest claim to fame is having "Daft Punk" in the title of one of their songs.

Terribad.

Why are they terrible?

I don't need to remind you that most people's reasons for liking or disliking music completely baffle me. Still intrigued to know why you dislike them. I woulda thought you'd be at least a casual fan.

Why are they terrible?

They don't have any good songs?

I'll change my description of them to "A relatively well known band that's known way more for their kind singer and having "Daft Punk" in one of their song titles than they're known for having any good songs"

:ouimonsieur:

Oh man, I just watched a couple music videos of them - the faggy Londonite-wannabe attitude didn't really manifest itself in the documentary.

Those vids are horrible. WTF is that shit?!?

*pulls a wedgie on Frank Murphy*

BTW the guy's name is *James*, I just like to call him Frank. We're on a nickname basis.

nope, cant do it :donthinkso: ...not pleasing to this rednecks ear

Political Animals was a decent premier sunday night...ill watch...

talk about a tough ratings night.... breaking bad/the glades/political animals/weeds/newsroom all starting at the same time...

Why haven't I seen Political Animals in my listings? I'd be interested. Just saw Sigourney Weaver on The Daily Show plugging it and sounds worth a check-out.

I'll keep an eye open.

Meanwhile I think I'm going to finally check out the movie The Artist right now.

The Artist is a pretty good movie. Not great. But alright.

I rate it a 7/10. It can't really be an 8 - but it can't be a 6 - so it has to be a 7.

It's cute. It's nice. Being a silent black and white film, it gets novelty points. 7.

I don't think I would give it enough novelty points to make it Best Picture for last year - but then again I haven't seen all the nominees. That is my new mission, to see all last year's Best Picture nominees. I can't even remember what they were.

I know The Help was one and I saw that. I would pick The Artist over The Help.

I know The Tree of Life was one. That one, I ain't gonna watch.

Good news. Well, not actually news news. A few weeks ago news - but good! :up:

HBO has renewed The Newsroom for a second season after airing merely two episodes. It should not be a surprise, since the show has some incredible pedigree, being from Aaron Sorkin (the same who created The West Wing, The Social Network and Moneyball), and starring Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, John Gallagher, Jr., Alison Pill, Thomas Sadoski, Dev Patel, Olivia Munn, and Sam Waterston.

When you get something like that, you stick with it as fast as you can; and thats exactly what HBO just did, it renewed The Newsroom. A no brainer call.

First season consists of only nine episodes, and after the airing of the premiere to an interesting 2 million and then some viewers, and a second episode also succesful, the decision was pretty much only a matter of time.

Good news. Well, not actually news
HBO has renewed The Newsroom for a second season after airing merely two episodes.

Same thing is it seems shows can be cancelled after just 2 episodes! Now a days everything and everyone is so in a hurry! Looking where it is, what, they have speed dating where you do musical chairs speaking to someone for like 5 minutes! I bet you nobody's in a hurry where BadNina resides!