Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,732 Comments
  • Views 948,273 Views
Saw The Big Short yesterday! MrsM thought a little slow but I enjoyed it more! Actors I like made ii for me! :up:

Big-Short.jpg

Joy (2015) - Interesting viewing experience for me. I finally liked Jennifer Lawrence in something. She was okay. Not outstanding but she is developing, at least taking a step towards catching up to this weird mass hysteria about her.

I liked her character and I generally liked the story. It was a bit thin and there was some awkwardly forced quirkiness, but good enough. It's not going to be a Best Picture nominee; it's just some nice empowering fluff.

I actually come out higher in my rating than the consensus.

6.9 out of 10

Joy-1983.jpg

No - just kidding - here's a real pic:

150826154819-movie-joy-super-169.jpg

Trumbo-overall not good
I mean there is a scene of John Goodman with a baseball bat (best scene imo)
Louis CK is good in it.
Diane Lane(?) is kinda sexy.

I thought it was odd that they were making a communist character a noble lead. And you can right away see that Trumbo and the blacklisters were gonna be the good guys.
But it never delved into more than a simple way as to why these people were communists or why the Hollywood establishment (particularly the villain-es hated them so much).
The film revolves around the wisdom filled and noble retorts of the main character, who despite seeming frail, brilliantly outwits the unjust establishment by making money writing under fake names.(unionization or whatever political goals they had originally is totally forgotten early) He gets vindicated in the end when his name can finally be attributed to his films.
Ultimately it feels like another example of Hollywood overestimating their own significance, patting it's heroes on the back. Although perhaps there is some enlightened commentary on power structures and how institutions work.

Last edited:
The Hateful Eight (2015) - Well it's just kind of ridiculous, isn't it? It's silly and gratuitous. As far as the ticklish off-beat dialogue and compelling random details that make Pulp Fiction my favorite movie, this is barely a shadow.

It's okay. It's watchable. It's something like pro rasslin' but the violence is less believable.

I count more than 8 hateful folk but maybe there is a reason some of mine aren't legit.

It's stupid but some fun can be had.

6.4 out of 10?

Well okay, I would have had Channing Tatum as hateful but judging by this pic, I guess he doesn't count.

The-Hateful-Eight5-600x305.jpg

The Revenant (2015) - A few thoughts on this one.

First of all, as far as award season, Dicaprio seems the main subject. Will he finally win an acting Oscar? I still have a couple more candidates to see but I think maybe. I'm leaning yes. He's very good. Would they give it to Eddie Redmayne two years in a row? I'm thinking finally Dicaprio.

The movie itself will probably be in the Best Picture nominees. I see it as near but not at the top. Just guessing at this point. It is by the same guy who was behind Birdman last year, Alejandro Inarritu, which won the big prize. This is a better movie IMO but possibly not as user friendly. It's harsh and somewhat long and will probably seem dry to many.

Actually I'm not sure what to expect from voters on that. It's really good. I'm still digesting it but dayum. It might have my vote at this point.

What really blew me away were the special effects. I think special effects and I think of space travel or a superhero swinging by spiderwebs through the buildings of New York. This is all realism. There is a scene where a guy gets mauled by a bear that is just like - holy fok. How do they do that? There are all kinds of little details that you know can't be really happening but it is seamless.

I wonder if it will get nominated in that category. :dunno:

8.7 out of 10.

INTRO-2_20thCenturyFox_TheRevenant.jpg

what's it about? besides the bear mauling

Well it's the early 1800's. Not even sure if we are in the northern US or what is now Canada. Anyway there are fur traders/trappers trying to make a buck by killing animals. But there are still natives all over the place so there is that conflict.

Basically there is a lot of backwoods savagery.

Dicaprio is a scout/guide for the American fur traders. They have some major trouble with some Pawnee - who are pissed because of what the french have done to them.

As the Americans are trying to make a getaway, the bear mauling happens - Dicaprio is all but dead - so there is conflict among his people over what to do about him. They are in a tough spot and dragging a dying man around does not help with the speed - however some men have ideas about loyalty - some are more cutthroat.

We all know Dicaprio isn't going to die right away. He's the star and the word Revenant means guy who comes back from the dead.

That is as much of the set up as I can divulge without getting too spoily. Just a lot of harrowing gritty shit happens.

Concussion (2015) - Despite my pre-viewing skepticism, I found it to be an absorbing and entertaining movie. It is built on a foundation of science and I love science.

There were a few problems which I would put in the category of trying-too-hard, but overall it is a nice yarn. Will Smith, while I can't agree with the acting nominations he is getting, is a charismatic, watchable figure.

7.4 out of 10.

will-smith-concussion.jpg

God damn I'm having a good time with this year's batch of movies.

all these you watching are the oscar best picture nominees?

Not exactly. The Oscar nominees haven't been announced yet. I am looking at Golden Globe noms for the two Best Picture categories (they have one for drama and one for comedy/musical), as well as all the acting, supporting actor, writing and directing categories.

These things always overlap and I can tell what's what. If there is anything in the major Oscar categories that I haven't already seem, I will be really surprised.

The main point is to see really good movies that I like. While these awards sometimes go sideways, I find the nominees lists are a good guideline.

(The other point is my Jeopardy knowledge and for that, Oscars are the main thing.)

Trumbo (2015) - A fresh, fascinating and well-presented angle on the Hollywood blacklist debacles - and the HUAC/McCarthy era in general.

I don't know whether to be glad that this kind of story is being told or depressed at how little seems to have been learned in 60+ years. The reflection on present-day events - and the large number of Americans who still don't seem capable of having a thought more complex than, "I'm scared" ---> :facepalm:

But I enjoyed the character and his story. Bryan Cranston ---> very good I thought.

Adding: the film and Cranston are both players in award season but Helen Mirren is getting Supporting Actress mention and I don't see that at all. Competent but unremarkable. Reputation nomination if you ask me.

8.1 out of 10

720x405-MCDTRUM_EC018_H.JPG

[The reflection on present-day events - and the large number of Americans who still don't seem capable of having a thought more complex than, "I'm scared" ---> :facepalm:

Simplistic portrayal of events by Hollywood, and media in general, has a tendency to make people feel that everyone else is an idiot.

Infinitely Polar Bear (2015) - As far as award season, this is only a minor player. Mark Ruffalo has a GG Actor (Comedy) nomination but I doubt it will translate to an Oscar nom.

Whatever, he is pretty good. The kids are pretty good. The movie is pretty good. Not blow-you-away but it is a light and entertaining look at bipolar disorder. Weeeeeeeeeeee.

7.3 out of 10

InfinitelyPolarBear1.jpg

The Danish Girl (2015) - I really enjoyed this story of a - for lack of a better term - pioneer of transgenderism. This movie worked for me. I see it didn't work for everyone and my rating is considerably higher than the consensus - so be it.

Eddie Redmayne plays Einar Wegener who becomes Lili Elbe in 1920's Europe.

The performance is incredible although I see a lot of cynicism about it. It is being called Oscar bait. That is unavoidable but true. No different than Julianne Moore with her Alzheimer's protrayal last year. However some are describing it as excessively mannered and even shallow. I don't agree with that. I see it as a better performance than his Oscar winning turn as Stephen Hawking last year.

(I think I vote for Dicaprio this year though.)

This film was my introduction to Alicia Vikander who is being described by some as the new "IT" girl. She was excellent. She is adorable and expressive and talented. I hope to be seeing her for decades to come. I have already downloaded Ex Machina which she is in.

I just found The Danish Girl very moving. There is the voyage of discovery and confusion for the principle - in a very different time - and the reactions of the people around him/her who have no reference point for what is happening. Fascinating to me and the great performances make it.

7.9 out of 10.

the-danish-girl.jpg

Saw The Big Short yesterday! MrsM thought a little slow but I enjoyed it more! Actors I like made ii for me! :up:

Big-Short.jpg

Enjoyed it as well. Agreed on a little slow but delivered! 7.5 peanuts!