Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,732 Comments
  • Views 949,202 Views
regarding Saturday Night Fever

I think Bacon would agree with me that....

Few soundtracks have defined a genre; this one did, and more. Released in '77, just as disco reached its populist brilliance/commercial bogus-ness tipping point, it matched proven club hits (the Trammps' "Disco Inferno," Kool and the Gangs "Open Sesame") with a clutch of Bee Gees songs intended for their own forthcoming album. From "Stayin' Alive" and "More Than a Woman" to KC and the Sunshine Band's "Boogie Shoes," the peaks on this double album can still turn any wedding dancefloor into a seething caldron of joy and embarrassment. The double LP moved over 15 million copies, making it the best-selling soundtrack in history until The Bodyguard stole the title.

I see what Archie did there

I was surprised at Saturday Night Fever (1977).

In my mind, it had been marginalized and shoved to a back corner as presumed fluff. Dopey disco movie or whatever.

But it's actually a good movie. Like not just with proper themes and a plausible examination of flawed characters within the class study, but it lacks the distracting missteps and conspicuous devices that were so common in movies of that time.

It's not about disco. It's about the contrast between that artificial world and their real lives the rest of the week which are significantly dismal.

7.4 out of 10 for me.

SaturdayNightFever_8.jpg

Is that connected in any way to what you find sad, Tron?

regarding Saturday Night Fever

I think Bacon would agree with me that....

Few soundtracks have defined a genre; this one did, and more. Released in '77, just as disco reached its populist brilliance/commercial bogus-ness tipping point, it matched proven club hits (the Trammps' "Disco Inferno," Kool and the Gangs "Open Sesame") with a clutch of Bee Gees songs intended for their own forthcoming album. From "Stayin' Alive" and "More Than a Woman" to KC and the Sunshine Band's "Boogie Shoes," the peaks on this double album can still turn any wedding dancefloor into a seething caldron of joy and embarrassment. The double LP moved over 15 million copies, making it the best-selling soundtrack in history until The Bodyguard stole the title.

Why the fuck would I agree with that?

I remember what was going on in my life when Saturday Night Fever - and disco in general - was happening.

I was a teen in high school. Like most, I was cliquey. It's a slight over-simplification but for all intents and purposes, I was with the stoners.

Music was a very important part of that clique. Our music was (what is now known as) classic rock. Again, that is an over-simplification and there were offshoots into alternative, folk, Bob Marley, other.

Point being: NO DISCO. My frikkin gawd NO DISCO. Disco music was not played and discoteques were not attended and that movie was NOT VIEWED.

NOT COOL. (It was never spelled k-e-w-l yet.)

Which I guess is why a movie buff like myself has taken until age 52 to see that rather iconic movie.

I was 2 - not much has changed.

I just laugh aloud - HAHA! - whilst you stab me in the heart

l.jpg

If I wanted to try real hard, I could build a case that Saturday Night Fever is anti-disco.

It's obviously not in an absolute sense - the soundtrack could hardly be more lovingly presented - but in a way.

I heard - from a guy at work - so maybe not the most reliable/official source of all time - but what the hell, I'm here, so I'll just repeat it and let the chips fall where they may - the new show Fear The Walking Dead was the highest rated premier of a show ever.

thats what happens when the only competition is The Last Ship and a handful of awful reality shit shows... great time to release a new show for the mindless sheep that love watching the same shit on every walking dead episode

Cable series premier. Fear the Walking Dead is the highest rated cable series premier in history.

Surpassing Better Call Saul.

By the way.

3 of the homes that they use alot in the US version of Shameless are 2-4 blocks from my house

go ghetto!

http://www.usanetwork.com/mrrobot/blog/mr-robot-blog/season-finale-postponed

Season Finale Postponed
POSTED ON 8/26/15

The previously filmed season finale of Mr. Robot contains a graphic scene similar in nature to todays tragic events in Virginia. Out of respect to the victims, their families and colleagues, and our viewers, we are postponing tonights episode. Our thoughts go out to all those affected during this difficult time.

:ohmy:

Prolly the Swedish guy who goes and kills his boss.