Movie Discussion 6/30/10

• Start date
  • Replies 100 Comments
  • Views 5,666 Views
I've heard of him, RJ. Just never had a chance to view his films. I'll definitely check him out.

Almost embarrassed to say I managed to get a copy of Grown Ups.

I expected it to be dumb. It was worse than expected.

saw "world's greatest Dad" or world's best dad..... with Robyn Williams, written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait. Got it on a whim when I couldn't find anything else at the Redbox.

I like dark comedies, and I thought this movie did a pretty good job of being perverse and original. I give it 7.9 stars out of 10

saw "world's greatest Dad" or world's best dad..... with Robyn Williams, written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait. Got it on a whim when I couldn't find anything else at the Redbox.

I like dark comedies, and I thought this movie did a pretty good job of being perverse and original. I give it 7.9 stars out of 10

I really enjoyed this "dark" comedy. Love Robin Williams in dramas sooooo much more than comedies. There were about two moments in this movie that left me like...wtf???? Loved it.

Shit...there I go talking about movies again.

Robyn Williams has played so many different characters in his career.... its pretty impressive.... also, my gf says she saw his ding dong in the swimming pool scene... I missed it, I was checking scores on my phone

I don't remember a ding dong, and I'm usually on the lookout for that type of thing. Kudos to non-people girl :cheers:

Bobcat, nice blast from the past. Whoever finds his video of With or With You from back in the day gets 444 Stevek173 points. That shit was epic.

Glad I'm not the only one who disliked Eyes Wide Shut.

I never bothered seeing Synecdoche due to hearing very negative things from people I trust. Because of this forum I actually looked for it at Blockbuster the other day but they didn't have it. It definitely doesn't sound like my cup of tea but who knows? - maybe I'll come across it someday.

Comedian Bobcat Goldthwait focused on creating a sense of realism in his latest movie, “World’s Greatest Dad,” the new dark comedy written and directed by Goldthwait.

But he knew working with a cast nearly full of comedians wouldn’t be easy. “I knew that me saying ‘ok everybody let’s get serious’ would be met with [laughter], Goldthwait says in an interview with Popdecay last week in Los Angeles.

“Everyone would just go mental for a while, and then… ‘now it’s nap time, let’s film.’” “Meds kicked in. Here we go,” adds Robin Williams over laughter. Williams, who plays main character Lance in the film, was also interviewed by Popdecay last week.

Goldthwait achieves realism throughout the film, creating a number of downright shocking moments, such as when Lance’s son Kyle (Daryl Sabara) is found dead in a freak masturbation accident. So when it is time for Williams to strip down to nothing but his socks before diving into a high school swimming pool, moviegoers should be forewarned that Goldthwait ‘keeps it real.’

“I thought if every single shot in that series was framed in a way in which [Robin’s] garbage is framed out, it would have been saying to the audience, ‘you’re not grown up, you can’t see a penis,” Goldthwait says. “It wasn’t a Dirk Diggler effect.” “Is that a boom shadow,” Williams joins in over laughter.

On the reason for being nude in the film, Williams says that Lance has been stripped and basically reborn. Williams’ approach was “He’s shedding everything…and it wasn’t done for a laugh.” “Or shock,” Goldthwait adds.

Oddly enough, Williams keeps his socks on in his nude diving scene! “Yeah, that’s what most guys would do,” says Williams, before breaking into laughter during our interview. “The ankles are the gateway to a man’s soul,” Goldthwait chimed in. “By the end of the movie, Lance has disappeared completely, and that was the last bit of him, his humanity; That’s the little bit of creativity left in him.”

Thankfully, Goldthwait’s quest for realism falls short of allowing Williams to appear onscreen nude without a proper hair waxing. When asked about the rumor that his waxing required the work of two people and that they had to stop for a break, Williams sings in the manner of a Southern Baptist spiritual, “Nobody knows.” He then adds in a tiny voice representing the waxers’ viewpoint, “I been working on Mr. Williams’ body for 2 years.”

Goldthwait’s drive for making “World’s Greatest Dad” a brutally honest dark comedy says “I’m writing about what interests me, and it’s very free.”

“World’s Greatest Dad,” starring Robin Williams, Alexie Gilmore, Daryl Sabara, Geoff Pierson, Henry Simmons and Mitzi McCall is available on VOD and in theaters August 21st.

doing research