• Replies 15 Comments
  • Views 1,116 Views

Blitty

guitartown
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
We started a Keto diet on NYE, to get in shape for a May wedding in Mexico.

Have stuck to it about 94% of the time since.

Anyone else doing the Keto?

Gave this a look and am interested. I actually am in large part already doing much of the basics of it already. Will get more into it though.

:hattip:

Keto as a short term thing (no more than 2 months) is fine.

Don’t make it a lifestyle change though pal.

The diet has basically transformed into being
Lo-Carb.

Not concerned about being in ketosis anymore. We used to test our blood every other day.

Surprisingly, I don’t miss carbs as much as I thought I would. Seems like it changes the brain chemistry.

I lost 15 lbs quick, but have been fairly stagnant since.

I do a decent amount of cardio. Think I need to lift weights more.

Also still have a few drinks, which I’m sure minimizes progress.

Getting in shape for a wedding? Not for health, not for self but for a fucking wedding. Did you change your gender?

How do you test your blood and what do you test for?

I lost 15 lbs quick, but have been fairly stagnant since.

I do a decent amount of cardio. Think I need to lift weights more.

Also still have a few drinks, which I’m sure minimizes progress.

You burn more calories lifting than cardio. Hopefully you aren’t doing more than 2 1/2 hours of cardio a week. Any more than that will be counterproductive and actually can cause damage.

Blitty, get to lifting. You’d rather be 190 w muscle than 180 and not toned. You know that.

Getting in shape for a wedding? Not for health, not for self but for a fucking wedding. Did you change your gender?

How do you test your blood and what do you test for?

It's more of a target date, bud.

I'll be scuba diving cenotes in Tulum, as well.

Hoping to get some ripped underwater shots of myself for the gram.

It's a ketone tester. Meant to be used for diabetes people.

You burn more calories lifting than cardio. Hopefully you aren’t doing more than 2 1/2 hours of cardio a week. Any more than that will be counterproductive and actually can cause damage.

Blitty, get to lifting. You’d rather be 190 w muscle than 180 and not toned. You know that.

I do 3-4 hours with hockey/tennis. It's enjoyable.

Going to the gym is an annoyance and a hassle.

Hopefully you aren’t doing more than 2 1/2 hours of cardio a week. Any more than that will be counterproductive and actually can cause damage.

I get where you’re coming from with this (we’ve all seen people in the gym who are 30 pounds overweight and do cardio 5x’s a week) but there are exemptions to this.

For example, how many hours a week of cardio do pro/semi-pro cyclists do a week?

Is their health in danger? Are they fat from counter production?

I get where you’re coming from with this (we’ve all seen people in the gym who are 30 pounds overweight and do cardio 5x’s a week) but there are exemptions to this.

For example, how many hours a week of cardio do pro/semi-pro cyclists do a week?

Is their health in danger? Are they fat from counter production?

I’ve read research that optimum cardio is 20 minutes in your heart target zone. More than that can actually cause heart stress and not heart health. Also people that do 60 minutes on a bike at a leisurely pace (unless the are really unfit) is pretty much a waste of time.

Also, most of the “cardio junkies” never weight train. Weight training on your largest muscles burns the most fat, so if they spent 1/3 of that time working w weights on their legs, they’d do more than the cardio they do now.

I do 20 minutes w a 3 minute cool down 4 days a week. I also don’t lift within a 4 hour time frame from cardio.
It has worked out very well for me. I’m constantly reading on new ways to work out without overtraining. I’m amazed at how much time I’ve wasted doing similar exercises on the same day and the length of cardio I used to do.

I've been on and off of a low carb diet for about a year. Started at 180. Now at 155 - as lean as I've ever been. A noticeable difference in both improved energy levels and mental clarity on the diet - which is far more important to me than a few extra pounds of muscle mass.

Burn more calories than you take in. That's how you lose weight. Doesn't matter how you do it - whether you're dieting, lifting, biking, running, and/or whatever. If you eat an three pizzas and a chocolate cake by yourself after working out for 8 hours, you're probably not going to lose fat stores.

I also monitor my ketones and I think it's a good motivator actually. Once I'm in ketosis, I don't want to lose it. So it keeps me going on the diet.

used to do short 4-8 week stints of various low carb things aimed at ketosis like the cyclical ketogenic diet. via Lyle Mcdonald back in the early 2000's through 2010

I don't think I have the will power for it anymore and don't eat much meat really.

nothing beats being in ketosis for a few days to get extra energy, clarity, and blunted hunger. Important to find good ways to get lots of fiber and water in.